Special Code for registration

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Yet another bot spammed the forum today (25 posts including one in this section).

Now I am wondering if you guys thought about putting, during the registration process, a special code to type in addition, in order to avoid robots to access easily. Think about the old rapidshare method with 4 random characters needed to download any file.

I don't remember if there was such when I registered myself, but it should solve this problem. This is the standard way to avoid "spammers" in my opinion.

montiman

Enjoyer of Asian Ladies
Jun 12, 2008
Now I am wondering if you guys thought about putting, during the registration process, a special code to type in addition, in order to avoid robots to access easily. Think about the old rapidshare method with 4 random characters needed to download any file.

If that would help the bot problem, I'm all for it!:relief:

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
There's already a captcha systemem for new user registration. Either the bots have sophisticated OCR abilities, or they are being manually registered.

More likely the latter is true.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I wrote a whole bunch of speculation, so ... I'll save it to a text file and post it another time if warranted.

For now, I'll share another crazy idea: couldn't you limit the # of new posts per hour and new threads per day per account? For example, no member here posts more than 10 new threads a day. And nobody posts more than 1 post every 2 minutes. So you could do something like:
  • freeze accounts that are guilty of posting 10+ posts in the allowed time window (I forget if we're allowed 1 post every 60 seconds or if we have no time limit here; let's pretend 60 seconds between posts is the time limit since I forget. Then this would mean I'm saying "freeze accounts which post 10+ posts in under 10 minutes"). Bots can be engineered to get around this by posting more slowly, but that works to our advantage -- because if they post more slowly, they muck up the place less in the time it takes for the mods to deal with them.
  • freeze accounts that are guilty of posting 6+ new threads in under 30 minutes. Similar explanation as above.
  • put members who are known for creating multiple threads in a day into a special usergroup that exempts them from this rule. (And of course all mods and admins would go there, too.) Make this post-limit and thread-limit rule something that only applies to members in the General User category. All 99% of us. ^_-

A system like this would be almost invisible to Joe Average Human but would severely hinder spambots.

xeruel

黒英雄伝説
Mar 22, 2008
I wrote a whole bunch of speculation, so ... I'll save it to a text file and post it another time if warranted.

For now, I'll share another crazy idea: couldn't you limit the # of new posts per hour and new threads per day per account? For example, no member here posts more than 10 new threads a day. And nobody posts more than 1 post every 2 minutes. So you could do something like:
  • freeze accounts that are guilty of posting 10+ posts in the allowed time window (I forget if we're allowed 1 post every 60 seconds or if we have no time limit here; let's pretend 60 seconds between posts is the time limit since I forget. Then this would mean I'm saying "freeze accounts which post 10+ posts in under 10 minutes"). Bots can be engineered to get around this by posting more slowly, but that works to our advantage -- because if they post more slowly, they muck up the place less in the time it takes for the mods to deal with them.
  • freeze accounts that are guilty of posting 6+ new threads in under 30 minutes. Similar explanation as above.
  • put members who are known for creating multiple threads in a day into a special usergroup that exempts them from this rule. (And of course all mods and admins would go there, too.) Make this post-limit and thread-limit rule something that only applies to members in the General User category. All 99% of us. ^_-

A system like this would be almost invisible to Joe Average Human but would severely hinder spambots.

LoL interesting idea but kills JAV active member in spot :murder: or any unsuspecting member that post 6+ thread in a bad time , so gringo is right that it should be only applied to fresh meat only:crash:

*1. Freeze JAV active member on spot :lols: they post 10+ in less than 10 min haha
*2. Freeze JAV active member on spot "again" they post 6+ new thread in less than 15 min :lols: