Seeking owner of WWII Hinomaru flag

ardo

Mar 2, 2010
The owner of a gift shop in front of Sengakuji temple in Tokyo is seeking to return a Hinomaru flag that was apparently given to a Japanese soldier to commemorate his dispatch to the front late in World War II.

AJ201208110017M.jpg

Yoichi Koizumi, 63, the owner of Koizumi Gishido, said that in early June a Dutchman in his 20s or 30s who went by the name of Robin visited his shop.

The Dutchman had a Hinomaru flag measuring about 68 centimeters by about 85 centimeters. The writing on the flag appears to indicate it was given to an Imperial Japanese Army soldier who left for the battle front on what was likely July 29, 1944. The other writing on the flag are messages of encouragement.

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/social_affairs/AJ201208110016

The Dutchman showed Koizumi the flag and said he obtained it from a relative...

After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Netherlands declared war on Japan. In early 1942, the Japanese invaded the Dutch East Indies, now Indonesia, and took control of the territory, which was not relinquished until war's end.

"My father, who died seven years ago, also was dispatched to the southern front, but this is the first time I have seen such a Japanese flag," Koizumi said. "I want to return the flag if I can find anyone connected to the original owner."