Ringetsu PC Game Translation Project (t-e-n-t-a-t-i-v-e!)

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I wrote a long thread. Way too long. Let me do the short version for now.
  1. THIS IS NOT A PROMISE! In fact, I may cancel this project at any time and will almost certainly not be able to partake in this project by mid-late summer.
  2. Bidirectionally bilingual speakers of Japanese and English are welcome to join the Translation team. Amateur and professional coders who know how to create a patch file that requires zero installation -- just put it in the folder that contains the executable file and you're good to go -- are not only welcome but are NEEDED.
  3. I will neither participate in nor condone this project if I learn that it is illegal to do so and carries with it significant legal risks for myself, chompy (as the owner of the site where I'd be discussing stuff), or other members of the team.
  4. I will pull out immediately if I learn that an English patch already exists for this game and it meets my standards. On the contrary, I will continue to work on this even if a patch does already exist if the patch proves to be inferior to what I believe our team can produce.
  5. Is anyone interested? :)
For now, the offer only extends to Ringetsu or to Shin Ringetsu. I haven't played either and don't know which would be the better one to start with. You are politely welcomed to try and persuade me via this thread (not PM!) to consider other projects but only if you have a post count greater than 30 and only if nobody has yet replied to this thread offering genuine services by June 1, 2009 @ 12:01pm GMT.

Once again: this is the short version. If you're interested to join, there's a lot more red tape I'll need to discuss with you later. In a nutshell, non-profit, democratic, zero grudges, free to leave at any time sort of stuff. If you want to make money or you think you get to be the head of some arbitrary division, think twice.

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
i think most people just use AGtH to play jap games. never tried it so i don't know how well it translates. U should definitely play Ringetsu 1st, or did u already see the animated version?

xeruel

黒英雄伝説
Mar 22, 2008
if you really want to know....they translate horrible if you're an average English user even I sometimes better listened to the voices or read the original text than reading the translated text :lols:
But if you're quite fluent in English maybe you can rearrange the sentence from the grammatical horror they presented. Don't even try them for complex story H-games :murder:

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I'd prefer to do it myself than to use a program. No one has yet to create an automated script which is even halfway decent for 日本語-->English or vice versa. We had this discussion a while ago in one of the higher-up forums here on A-O when somebody asked the community how reliable BabelFish was for Japanese and I showed them how even very simple things like "the hot dog jumped into the lake to cool down" were completely botched by the program. It's designed to look for word pairs and assign to them their commonest meanings as word pairs, e.g. "hot dog" will always be translated as the food item and never as the heat-exhausted canine. I imagine any H-game translator probably runs into similar problems.

Oh, I forgot: nope, I never did see the first Ringetsu's anime adaptation. I've only ever seen Shin Ringetsu, and that's it. So ... you're suggesting I start with Ringetsu first, and then play Shin Ringetsu. That makes sense (real-world chronologically), but I'm curious: are they retellings of the same exact story and Shin just happens to allow you to have access to a datable Suzune? Or is Shin Ringetsu like an alternate reality-type story with respect to the first one? You can tell me that much: that's not really spoilering me imo, and I'd like to know going in rather than be anxious about it the entire time.

I think I might install Ringetsu right this moment, actually. ^_^ Let me see what I've gotten myself into with this thread ;p ...

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
i didn't play any of the games nor did i watch anime fully so i'm not the best choice to seek a proper answer from. based on the scenes that i did see i think SR (anime) is more like a direct sequel to the 1st Ringetsu anime. perhaps u should check the getchu page for both games since they usually have a plot summary

gakido

ヒガンバナ
Apr 2, 2007
Most of the summary on getchu are basically the same. It really doesn't go into detail about the game; the description is basically profile of characters and a bit about how the game begins. So I don't think it will be of any help.

Anyhow, like Rein said "Shin Ringetsu" is more like a continuation from the first "Ringetsu", I also never played the game so I know the discrepancy between the two.

Sakun, I'm not sure if I can be of any help with this project but if I can help with something and if it's within my capability, I'll gladly do it. ^ ^ V

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I know you know more kanji at this point than I do, by far, and you probably know more grammar and vocab overall than me as well. Insofar as I may know something you don't, it's going to be chalked up to different exposure to different terms (like I know the word for liver is kimo, 肝, because I studied basic body parts out of medical interest, but you probably know words that are more practical lol).

In other words, you'd be an invaluable asset to the team if this gets off the ground. But I'm not going to count my chickens before they hatch.

I got sidetracked and played more Infection 3. Oops. I'll go install Ringetsu now. Sorry. ^^;

gakido

ヒガンバナ
Apr 2, 2007
Honestly, I think your grammar and translating is far better than mine. I'm an indolence person, lol; I like simply thing and try to keep everything as simply as possible, that's why I don't really try to translate everything I read, instead I just keep the literal meaning of everything and go with it.

I know is a bad habit but as far as I can remember I've been a scan and pick out the main point person...

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Request #1: can anybody rip the script for me? ;_; It's really a bitch to have to pause the game every single page and type the words all over again in Notepad. Can some kind soul open CCT files? Cause I have a file here called RNG-scripts.cct and I'm guessing that it's what needs to be decrypted but I don't have the right software to get that job done.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I've encountered a new setback. I turned the game on today for the first time since shutting down yesterday, and I got this unfortunate message:
仮想ドライブからインストールされています。
アンインストール後仮想ドライブ以外からインストールして下さい。
終了します。
my translation said:
The game was installed from a virtual drive.
After uninstalling the game, please reinstall from any other drive except for the virtual drive.
The game will now close.

Update on 2009年05月08日: PM me if you're having similar problems because I fixed mine so maybe I can help you too.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I could really use somebody's help getting the script. Please download the second, larger rar attached below. It contains the file that I believe contains the script. It also contains other small files in case my first guess is wrong. Larger files (files bigger than 20 megs) have been omitted.

Update on 2009年05月08日: I edited out stuff that's already been addressed.

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
sorry i can't help u with this one. all games i've played would either just need a patch or not even need any installation ( viva doujins ). i've simply never encountered that kind of problem.
u might want to consider choice E. Play SR 1st and hope there's some sort of summary about Ringetsu at the start.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I know you guys believe me and whatnot, but here's a fun clip from a video I was making for Gakido and others about how hard it is for me to read eroge kanji (even though you guys act like I'm just being modest, when no, seriously, I'm for real: doujins are easy, eroges are not >_>). It's funny I think 'cause of my genuine delivery. Maybe lolikons won't think it's funny. Or maybe they will think it's funny because of my unintended double entendre at the very end. lol Anyway, hope you enjoy. :p

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
if u do do B then u only need 1 disc for Disc B.choosing either one of bin and cue will give u the same disc B. what virtual drive are u using? if daemon what version?

i couldn't even read the Kanji chars in the video hehe the thing i hate most about kanji is when they're computerized they're usually super compact that u can not even count the stroke counts anymore. were u using ur webcam?

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
first line in About page: DAEMON Tools 4.00HE
fourth line in About page: SPTD 1.21

I need two discs -- one for Disc A and one for Disc B -- because the game asks you, "please take out Disc A and insert Disc B." Previously I did this all virtually by unmounting the image of A's .iso and mounting the image of B's .cue (which failed) followed by B's .bin (which succeeded, oddly enough). This time I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and spend two DVD+R's on this.

As for the characters, they're quite legible irl. My camera has no flash, no light (for the dark), only 3.0 megapixels, and I was farther away from the monitor. Plus it was bright white letters on a lighter blue background (Selen's fault ;p), so you'd have a hard time even if I did have a better camera, most likely.

The issue is when I see things like [?]下する or [?]決した方がいい, and like (in the case of the second one) I can tell you almost everything -- that the verb's got SOMETHING to do with decision-making or being decisive or being a decided (i.e. over and done with) matter, that it's saying "it would have been better to have ________" ... but I just can't tell you what the blank is. And since the verb is arguably the single most important part of any sentence period, that makes the translation die right in the water. XD

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
yeah u do need 2 discs if u plan on going thru with plan B. u just seemed confused about the bin and cue files in ur prev post. didn't want u to waste a 3rd dvd

you mean when encounter those two (separately ) like their the only thing written in one speech bubble?

gakido

ヒガンバナ
Apr 2, 2007
Sorry for invading your thread Sakun but I just have to comment on Rein new Sig. Finally, watched K-On Raw ep. 6. All I can say is ROFL, I've enjoy every single moments of the 6 episode so far but 5 and 6 just took it to the next level. LOL~

My favorite from ep 6 is are:

"watashi, good job" rofl~

The sumo immitation and Yui broken background voice during song. hahaha

and finally~

"pantsu, pan..pantsu; mou, oyome ikenai" <- big lies! I love you Mio-chan~ 超もえ~

Again sorry, Sakun, I just have to comment on ep. 6. It made my day.

rule34

Pervert
May 4, 2009
I had a look at one of the .cct Files.
It starts with the string "XFIR", so its very likely a "Macromedia Director Shockwave Cast" File.
This File Format is "protected", its an end product, not a Project File to be edited.
Even Director would be useless here.
Its not hopeless, but very hard to decrypt, edit and put back into the Game.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Hmm. :| Thanks for looking, though. :eek:

I talked with a computer guru friend of mine tonight. He said that, depending on the eroge, there is a program which can grab the text as its being parsed to the processor (or something; I didn't really quite understand what he was talking about) and so in that manner it can "capture" the text as the game calls it up. Does anybody know of programs similar to this? and does anyone know if Selen's games definitely do or definitely do not work with the program?

If the program is compatible with Selen's games, then I wouldn't even need to worry about the .cct files anymore. I could just grab the script from the game as it loads. The only problem there would be that I'd only be grabbing the script that I was personally exploring in-game, but that's still better than grabbing no script at all. :\

gakido

ヒガンバナ
Apr 2, 2007
Jesus, I knew it was going to be hard but never knew it was going to this difficult just to get starting D: Atlas should be able to capture the text as it come up, no?

Somehow, I'm super sleepy atm. See you, tomorrow.