Regarding DMCA-threat movies

thmp

Jul 17, 2012
I see that KV et al vid links are not allowed anymore... correct?

So does that mean we're not allowed to talk about group purchases for them either? If for example someone was going to buy a video but wanted to see if anybody wanted to split the cost? Assuming that a link wasn't provided in the forums and they took it upon themselves to privately discuss the post-purchase details?

Just want clarification on the matter.

Thanks, everybody!

vietbub

Dec 6, 2008
Those group buy threads were also deleted so I think we can safely assume the answer is no they are not allowed anymore.. In their eyes movies are meant for one person to purchase, a group buy means that people will be sharing the video so that would be a no go.
What an interesting paradox.

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
Speaking purely hypothetically...there is nothing stopping anybody from contacting past participants or approaching newer fans via PM or otherwise. For example, I regularly (pretty much) correspond with someone from the community here that has become quite an online friend (you know who you are!) and we collaborate on many things. Sometimes via PM but mostly direct emails. Good for the soul.

Reactions: G0kkunG0uki

thmp

Jul 17, 2012
Those group buy threads were also deleted so I think we can safely assume the answer is no they are not allowed anymore.. In their eyes movies are meant for one person to purchase, a group buy means that people will be sharing the video so that would be a no go.

Well then, it sounds like I would need to advertise it for sale. For example:

"For sale: Movie XYZ-123 - Looking for three people who would like this movie. I paid $20 for it, I would like to sell it for $15 to one person. I would then recommend that that person then sells it for $10 to the next person on the list. Then that person sells it to the next person on the list for $5. Please be sure to delete your copy once you have sold it to the next person. Thank you."

The actions stated above are perfectly legal in the US, the European Union and Japan when dealing with both physical property and with digital downloads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-sale_doctrine
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaustion_of_intellectual_property_rights