Reducing Mosaic

Bagosarr

Aug 8, 2010
Hi guys,
I just want to know that,
'De-censored' and 'Reducing Mosaic' are the same?
Do you think Reducing Mosaic quality is getting better and better now-a-days? (I think it is.)
Is AI technology very useful for those who are expert in Reducing Mosaic?
I will be very thankful if someone could help me.

intrepid8

レズぺニバン Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2009
'De-censored' and 'Reducing Mosaic' are the same?

Yes, these should be synonymous. The latter makes more sense to me since AFAIK noone is reversing the application of the censoring algorithms to truly de-censor titles.

Sometimes I see de-censored and uncensored conflated where of course what we refer to as uncensored should be the materials not released for the Japanese market. Probably because there are occasional "leaks" of uncensored versions of normally censored titles which doesn't fall neatly into either description.

Do you think Reducing Mosaic quality is getting better and better now-a-days? (I think it is.)

I think so, although I'm no expert. Blurry made up genitals aren't better than censored ones in my estimation. Recent threads here have said as much about improving quality.

Is AI technology very useful for those who are expert in Reducing Mosaic?

Absolutely.

The same goes for AI upscaling. I just wish that everyone doing this and releasing to the outside world would label them appropriately even with a quick title graphic saying as much.

I'm not a fan of picking up 1080p versions of mid-2010s videos that are upscales of previously downsampled low quality video when I can reasonably expect that an actual 1080p version exists. As time goes by I understand that availability of the larger file sizes becomes an issue - not everyone has terabytes of storage space - but leaving all upscales unlabeled just dilutes the quality of what's out there in my opinion.

I've seen some excellent upscales but there's vastly more "burnt plastic" looking stuff out there. But I'd rather deal with low res, low bit rate artifacting than smoothed out and blurry skin at 1080p and up.

I always try to keep the low quality version of any upscales and RMs I collect anyway assuming that future tech will work even better.

I personally don't think the technology is up to par yet or at least those using aren't as skilled at using the tech as they could be. YMMV.

Bagosarr

Aug 8, 2010
Yes, these should be synonymous. The latter makes more sense to me since AFAIK noone is reversing the application of the censoring algorithms to truly de-censor titles.

Sometimes I see de-censored and uncensored conflated where of course what we refer to as uncensored should be the materials not released for the Japanese market. Probably because there are occasional "leaks" of uncensored versions of normally censored titles which doesn't fall neatly into either description.

I think so, although I'm no expert. Blurry made up genitals aren't better than censored ones in my estimation. Recent threads here have said as much about improving quality.

Absolutely.

The same goes for AI upscaling. I just wish that everyone doing this and releasing to the outside world would label them appropriately even with a quick title graphic saying as much.

I'm not a fan of picking up 1080p versions of mid-2010s videos that are upscales of previously downsampled low quality video when I can reasonably expect that an actual 1080p version exists. As time goes by I understand that availability of the larger file sizes becomes an issue - not everyone has terabytes of storage space - but leaving all upscales unlabeled just dilutes the quality of what's out there in my opinion.

I've seen some excellent upscales but there's vastly more "burnt plastic" looking stuff out there. But I'd rather deal with low res, low bit rate artifacting than smoothed out and blurry skin at 1080p and up.

I always try to keep the low quality version of any upscales and RMs I collect anyway assuming that future tech will work even better.

I personally don't think the technology is up to par yet or at least those using aren't as skilled at using the tech as they could be. YMMV.
Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge intrepid8.

Reactions: intrepid8

darksider59

Akiba Citizen
Feb 24, 2014
I agree. I just compared MIAA-631 "decensored" vs the original file. Original pixels still look better (and you don't have an annoying moving watermark). In the decensored version, you still have those visual aberrations (look at his finger). And his dick looks like someone added a low quality jpeg on top of the pixels haha.

vlcsnap-2023-11-30-11h37m39s842.pngvlcsnap-2023-11-30-11h37m53s112.pngvlcsnap-2023-11-30-11h38m25s815.png

vlcsnap-2023-11-30-12h08m24s490.pngvlcsnap-2023-11-30-12h08m38s981.png

ericf

Jan 13, 2007
The problem with Sup**v's 'newer' mosaic reduced files is that they use a smoothing step before finishing the process. It tends to make the mosaiced parts look 'unreal' or simply warped. I don't know how they're doing it but I wouldn't recommend keeping it up. I check their files and decide if I want to do it myself later. I think they started smoothing vids around fall 2022.
AI isn't used at all in the decensoring. The program is 'taught' on uncensored and censored images but that doesn't make it AI. It's all about patterns. The newest versions of JP has AI to recognize mosaic, but that's about it. Using 'ready' body parts in place of regular decensoring has been tried and dropped. The results weren't good.
Of course, there may be a new program out there that uses AI to reduce mosaic but I haven't seen anything yet.

Reactions: Bagosarr