Recommendations For Any Good Japanese Slice of Life/Drama/Romance/Physiological films?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Speeny

Sep 28, 2013
I've seen a few on various J-Drama based sites. I've even gone ahead and imported a few films that I really enjoyed onto DVD.

Slice of Life/Romance/Drama:
The Witch Of The West Is Dead (Highly recommend.)
Rainy Days (Is it Korean..? Not sure.)
Futari: The Two Of Us

Physiological:
Confessions (Japanese title: Kokuhaku)
Fatal Frame (Franchise)
Audition

Suggest me some more!

hollywool

Jan 11, 2012
Physiological or Psychological? I'm not really sure what you mean. If it's the latter, I can think of some, although they're rather old.

There's the movie series Otoko wa Tsurai yo ("It's Tough Being a Man"), more popularly known as "Tora-san" after the main character, an amiable drifter who travels all over Japan (and at least once abroad!). All the movies (48!) are slice-of-life stories, usually involving Tora-san and perhaps a romance (which never works out). The movies were insanely popular, and it's been said that one can learn a lot about the J
Japanese psyche from watching them. At least some of them are available with English subs, and I think one or two can even be seen on YouTube..

The other is an anime, "Electromagnetic Girlfriend" (Denpa teki na Kanojo), which is not what it sounds like. They are psychodramas, offering a peek into the minds of the protagonists, as well as the perpetrators in the stories: the first involves murder, the second one harassment/stalking. The reasons are never quite what you'd expect, and I'm annoyed that only two episodes were made.

If these aren't quite what you're looking for...well, I tried.

mago

熟女♥️
Jul 3, 2008
Drama (i guess):
-Visitor Q

Psychological thriller:
-Perfect Blue (anime)

Romance:
-5 cm per second (anime)

Last edited:
Reactions: MirrormanSLF

MirrormanSLF

Sora Aoi Lover
May 18, 2016
Attention Please is a pretty good good series, actually so good I've watched it twice .. plus the specials. The program follows the life of Misaki (Ueto Aya) as she slowly conquers various obstacles to become a flight attendant. Each episode ends with a showcase of the various uniforms that have been used in JAL

So if you like Ueto Aya, and your into flight attendants, you can't go wrong with this comedy/drama/romace series

Reactions: mago

MirrormanSLF

Sora Aoi Lover
May 18, 2016
Majisuka Gakuen (マジすか学園) - is a drama starring various girls from the group AKB-48 (and there sub groups). Watched it twice now, it's not bad .. check out the youtube, it explains things better than I can.

lolgirl

May 31, 2016
I've seen a few on various J-Drama based sites. I've even gone ahead and imported a few films that I really enjoyed onto DVD.

Slice of Life/Romance/Drama:
The Witch Of The West Is Dead (Highly recommend.)
Rainy Days (Is it Korean..? Not sure.)
Futari: The Two Of Us

Physiological:
Confessions (Japanese title: Kokuhaku)
Fatal Frame (Franchise)
Audition

Suggest me some more!
You must watch Kawaki (The world of Kanako), the latest and most incredible work of Tetsuya Nakashima same director as Confessions. Aoi Morikawa, that's Michi in Fatal Frame has a little paper in this movie too. But the best of the movie is the goddesslike beautiful Nana Komatsu as Kanako.

TAG (Riaru onigokko) it's also really good, touching a little of ero guro genre, black humor and horror without being it.

omggg I love Nana Komatsu so much kxasdj
full

mealtimeshadow

May 31, 2016
Drama romance slice of life?
One that comes to mind for me is "Kami no Shizuku" (Drops of God). It's based on a manga about wine sommelier tasting battles.

For romance, it would be Hana Yori Dango (Boys Before Flowers). It started as a manga, became an anime, and got Taiwanese, Korean, and Japanese live-action adaptations. But I like the Japanese live action version the best. It's easy to enjoy and succinct. The manga drags on waaaaaaaaaay too long.

For Psychological, I highly recommend Liar Game. It stars Shota Matsuda (who was Nishikado in Hana Yori Dango), and Erika Toda (who was Amane Misa in Death Note), with music by Nakata Yasutaka/Capsule (he also producer of music for Perfume and Kyary Pamyu Pamyu).