Rapidshare Capping Free User Downloads To 30Kb, Resume Disabled

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Wokkonno

Wokkonno XP
Jul 15, 2011
- Friday February 17, 2012 -
When you try to download a file from the popular file hosting site Rapidshare lately, you may have noticed that the speed of transfer has dropped significantly in comparison to previous downloads you made. This change apparently affects free users, that is users who are not logged into the service or users with free accounts, while they download files from it. Users with premium accounts are not affected at all.

JDownloader, the file hosting downloader, is displaying a warning to users who download files from Rapidshare using the software. It reads:

Rapidshare disabled the ability to resume downloads that were stopped for free users and also limited the average download speed to 30 kb/s.

Because of the way they are doing this, it may look like the download is frozen.

Don’t worry – it’s not. It’s just waiting for the next piece of the file to be transferred.

The pauses in between are added by Rapidshare in order to make the overall average speed slower for free-users.

jdownloader rapidshare speed limitation

Rapidshare, besides dropping download speeds, seems to have disabled resume capabilities for free users of the service. Resume allows users to continue downloading a file from the position they stopped the transfer. This can be useful during large file transfers, say a 1 Gigabyte file that stops after 500 Megabytes have been downloaded. Instead of having to download the whole Gigabyte again, users would only have to download the remaining 500 Megabytes.

The third change, next to the drop in average transfer speeds and the removal of the resume option, are pauses that the hoster has added to file downloads. These pauses can make downloads look as if they are frozen or stopped, when in fact they are not.

It is not clear why Rapidshare has made the changes. Some users suspected that the company wants to drive more users into signing up for premium accounts, others that users from Megaupload and other file hosting sites that went out of business have caused to much strain on the Rapidshare servers. The effect however is that the site is barely if at all usable anymore if you are a free user.

Source Here:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/02/17/rapidshare-capping-free-user-downloads-to-30kb-resume-disabled/

Sami1977

Mar 4, 2009
So that was the reason my download wouldn't start at all... Too bad since RS had some phenomenal speeds for free users recently. I guess after Megaupload's closure too much traffic has hit Rapidshare, and they decided to stab free users in the back (so to speak).

iori11

Nov 25, 2009
:puzzled: seems we go back to 2003, I love the FBI so mutch since this megaupload... anyways we are back to torrenting

chrisfallout

Jul 8, 2008
few other have there download speed around 75 to 95 now too. i been on few where speed is less the 95k now for downloads. for some reason they are trying to get people to join to get best speed.

Apr 11, 2007
I don't know about the general consent on this site, but just for the sake of throwing an idea in the room... how about we set up/look for a tracker to base our downloads on torrents again?

If everyone would just simply rely on torrents again, the sheer number of participants would contribute to our cause and generate a somewhat fast download speed. I've already seen various websites running their own "private" trackers for idol videos etc. Sadly you have to register for an account (which of course costs you...) So wouldn't it be a logical next step to consider setting up something similar for the users of AO ?
:puzzled:

jackpot69

Hentai-Sama from North
Mar 4, 2008
That explain the Uploaded eternal > "All of our free-download capacities are exhausted currently" and rapidgator slow as hell! I download 300mg anime ova in 30 minutes from oron today but i need 15 from 5.7mg on rapidgator. And now rapidshare, dammit :/

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
Rapidshare was so good for awhile before megaupload got shut down. Hopefully once everything settles they will go back to higher download speeds and resumable downloads for free users.