Question for vegetarians

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.
Oct 6, 2007
Okay so around one week ago I decided I would try to go vegetarian seeing as my GF is doing it as well. No, she didn't have any influence on me, she didn't even know until today, I just wanted to try to lose a few kg.

So it's been a week and I find over the last few days I've been going to the bathroom a lot more than usual, is that normal? Is my body cleansing itself? Is it my new diet? I'm just curious if anyone else has had the same experience.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
"Going to the bathroom a lot more than usual" is a start but it's nowhere near enough medical information for people to be able to actually help you out. For starters, how about telling us these three things?

1. Are you talking about urination, defecation, or both?
2. When you say "a lot more than usual," do you mean the amount, the frequency, or both?
3. Could you tell us what exactly it is that you ate and drank over the last 2-3 days?

Oct 6, 2007
1. fecation
2. I'm going more frequently, before it was like maybe once a day, now it's 3 or 4 times a day
3. everything but meat, so grain, dairy, fruits and vegetables

I'm just assuming since my body isn't use to it maybe this is normal, it's only been more frequently for the past 3 or 4 days, but I've been a vegetarian for 8 days

sockmuncher

May 30, 2007
i dont have much info for you couse im no doctor but if and when you switch back be very careful about what you eat for the first few days, or maybe even weeks..

i did this for a good while but i got to be very busy and it was just to much trouble at the time. the first time i ate meat again it basicly came out in the same form that it went in. it felt like my tummy was being poked by a 1000 red hot five inch long needles, for about 18 hours and it took about a week for me to feel ok again...

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
1. fecation
2. I'm going more frequently, before it was like maybe once a day, now it's 3 or 4 times a day
3. everything but meat, so grain, dairy, fruits and vegetables

I'm just assuming since my body isn't use to it maybe this is normal, it's only been more frequently for the past 3 or 4 days, but I've been a vegetarian for 8 days

I think your assumption is valid.
  1. We can digest most proteins.
  2. We can digest some carbohydrates.
    • We cannot digest fiber!
  3. We can digest most lipids.
Because of this, the higher the ratio is of fiber to non-fiber in your diet, the more abundant your feces will become. Fiber is (a) not digestible and (b) used to form stools. (For a quick-and-easy check, Wikipedia, but consult a medical text if you want to feel more certain. Or just take my word for it. ;D)

So if before you were eating 1:1:1:1:1:1 of various food groups, and now you've taken out one of those 1's (the meat 1) and the numbers now read 0:1:1:2:1:1, and if the "2" is either in the fruits compartment, veggies, grains, or maybe even a gentle combination between all three, it would mean that you're intaking more cellulose (fiber) than you used to. And more fiber means more feces.

Here's a chart for you to look at if you'd like: the Bristol Stool Chart. Don't answer with numbers, but let's look at it like this:
  • find on the chart what your poop used to look like most commonly before your dietary change (let's call that 'x')
  • now find what your poop looks like now (let's call that 'y')

If the number for 'x' is larger than the number for 'y', then that would certainly suggest a lower-fat diet; and since fat is commonly associated with both raw meat as well as the preparation of meat in cooking, it's possible that this change is nothing more than a reflection of your change in diet.

If the number is more or less the same, that's fine, too. It may mean that your daily intake of fat has not drastically changed as a result of your quitting eating meat. (For example, if you no longer eat meat but you eat a lot more cheese and potato chips, lol, you're definitely not going to see much of a decrease in fat content.)

Regardless, if you are unhappy with your stool's consistency (too hard? too watery?), there are vegetarian solutions to both of these problems.

Also, excessive intake of fat is a main contributor to the especially malodorous nature of some human feces. (Typically, "stinky yellow poop" indicates very high fat intake and/or very low fat digestive capabilities. Medically, we look for this when considering problems with the gallbladder, pancreas, and small intestine. The browner the poop is, the less likely it indicates fat-related problems.) So if you have been having a problem with that either before or now, just lower your fat intake and voila.

Oct 6, 2007
Wow thanks for all the help, very informative on both your parts and I guess I will watch myself if I do go back to eating meat, who knew it could be so hard?

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
You probably already know this, but just in case ... make sure you're taking vitamin supplements. If you refuse to, then at least make absolutely certain that you are getting enough thiamin (vitamin B1) and B12.

Wikipedia said:
Plants are not generally significant sources of Vitamin B12. However, lacto-ovo vegetarians can obtain B12 from dairy products and eggs, and vegans can obtain it from fortified foods and dietary supplements. Since the human body preserves B12 and reuses it without destroying the substance, clinical evidence of B12 deficiency is uncommon. The body can preserve stores of the vitamin for up to 30 years without needing its supplies to be replenished.

The recommendation of taking supplements has been challenged by studies indicating that exogenous B12 may actually interfere with the proper absorption of this vitamin in its natural form. The research on vitamin B12 sources has increased in the latest years.
Nonetheless, I wouldn't advise someone to go without consuming B12 for longer than a couple of days, never mind 30 years. :p So please do be sure you're getting it from something, whether it's milk or eggs or whatever.

Oct 6, 2007
I just went to the local market today and bought some soy meats and they are full of vitamins and what not but I'll definetly look into that and let my GF know about it as well (I'm not sure if she gave it much thought, she just wants to be "Korean thin")

JasonOne

Jul 13, 2009
I don't think that would be normal. I haven't experienced it but as what you've said you always go to the bathroom more than usual, and it is not normal. Maybe you need more vitamins and supplements to regain your good health. Maybe you we're not used in eating vegies that's why you encounter that.