Question about torrents and download sites

Riniki

Crazy and Goofy thats me
Jul 29, 2011
I just recently download a bunch of torrents and figured that they worked the same way a 7z file would and tried to unzip it and that did nothing. So my question is what do you do to a torrent file so you can get the video/images that were supposed to come with it.

I also have been downloading too but it seems like just about all of the people who have posted stuff that I have been downloading on Wupload and filesonic which sucks since it takes for ever to download more than one file with the restrictions you have to deal with as a non paying downloader. So I figured I'd pay for a day or 1 month for each site and download as much as possible before my time runs out. Anyway my question here is are there any other sites I should also sign up to that are popular here?

Sorry if I worded everything badly cause I am in a bit of a rush and don't have the time to think out everything properly and if I don't ask now then I will forget it later anyway.

akuma2002

Moe is my life!
Nov 8, 2006
Well, you got things wrong. You need to open your .torrent files in a torrent client, i suggest utorrent. The client will connect to the tracker and contact users who share the files you want. Then you just have to wait for your downloads to be finished :tea:

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
When you have a torrent program installed a little thing should pop up asking you if you want to open it up with Utorrent or what ever other torrent program you have.

After you download and install Utorrent or some other torrent program there are few things you need to look at when deciding to download a torrent.

Comments, size and peers are the 3 most important things you can find on almost any torrent sharing site.

The areas I circled in green are comments. These may give you further clues as to what the quality of the torrent is, whether or not you need a password or serial code, whether or not it is a fake or some other useful info.

The area circled in Blue is the size. This is important in giving you a clue whether or not it might be the real deal or high quality. Some anti-piracy groups and nerds living in their mother's basement with nothing else better to do put fake files out there for people new to using file sharing and torrent programs to download and these fake files will contain a virus or trick you into sending money for some bogus player. Generally a movie will be around 700MB or higher, a 30minute TV show might be 160MB or higher, a game that usually comes on DVD for the pc will be a gig or higher. a bigfish game might be around 30MB or higher,although you should look at the comments because I think viruses,trojans and other bad programs can be sneaked into files this large.

The area circled in red is the seeds.This generally means people that finished and have the file for you to upload.Just because a file may have 3133 seeds does not mean all 3133 seeders are online right now. Usually the higher the seeds the faster it should download. So if something has seeds that are in the single digits to double digits you may want to stay away from them and try to find something with more seeds unless that is all that is there. Also just because something has a couple of thousand seeds does not mean you will download something really fast because it all depends on how fast their internet lets them upload and what they have their torrent program set to. I have downloaded from torrents with only a few peers that downloaded a show in a few minutes because it all depends on the peers you are downloading from. The thing to remember about torrents is sometimes you have to have patients because it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of weeks depending on the size of the files you are downloading,how many peers there are and what their settings are. Torrents do have the advantage of file sharing sites like hotfile, wupload and others is that you do not have to be tied to the computer to download stuff.It is set it and forget it until it is done.

If you are going to be downloading from torrents then peerblock or some other proto-firewall is a must. Because anti-online piracy groups and nerds living in their mother's basement with nothing to do after dungeons and dragons and star wars love to fuck with people's computers. Peerblock does not block you from downloading from peers regardless of what the name suggests. What peerblock and other pro-firewalls do is block the IP addresses of known anti-piracy groups and heinous individuals and groups, you should check for updates with these things at least once a week because IP addresses change.

Riniki

Crazy and Goofy thats me
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks for the help guys and I'll be sure to be careful. Well its kinda hard not to be careful when you know the kind of crap that nerds living in their mothers basement with nothing better to do after trolling someone and getting them upset over something stupid.

Riniki

Crazy and Goofy thats me
Jul 29, 2011
One more question. What about torrents that I get from this site? How do I check to see if they are safe to download or not? To get the torrents from here I just had to click on the attached torrent and downloaded them through there.

When I started up utorrent to add one of the torrents it just started downloading with out taking me to a site to see how much memory it takes up, comments, and how many peers. I just don't wanna get infected with a virtual std.

akuma2002

Moe is my life!
Nov 8, 2006
Hmm, a torrent is not harmful by itself. It's just binary text used to connect to the trackers and make peers/seeds able to interact by receiving/sending parts of the files you want to download.
But obviously, utorrent has to open ports on your computer to work correctly. Intruders could possibly attack from there, but it is unlikely if your firewall is up to date.

Riniki

Crazy and Goofy thats me
Jul 29, 2011
Thanks! Seeing as how I have a good anti virus and firewall I guess I don't have to worry too much then.