Power-generating glass windows installed at facility in Yokohama

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Asahi Glass Co Ltd (AGC) announced April 27, 2016, that its "Attoch (for solar power generation)" solar cell-embedded glass window has been employed for "Kirin Yokohama Beer Village" in Yokohama City, Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan.

According to AGC, the Attoch is a glass plate featuring both energy saving and energy creation capabilities, and this is the first time that it has been employed for actual use.

Kirin Yokohama Beer Village is a facility for visitors to taste Kirin Co Ltd's beverages and is located on the premises of the company's Yokohama Plant. It was renovated for the 90th anniversary of the plant, and the solar cell-embedded glass windows were installed as part of Kanagawa Prefecture's "Project for Expanding Use of Thin-film Solar Cells."

The tasting room has a large opening and is facing southwest. It received strong sunlight, making visitors feel hot. Therefore, Kirin introduced the power-generating glass windows. The company said that the concept of "ensuring a field of view, blocking heat and generating electricity with sunlight" matched its needs.

In addition to the energy saving and energy creation capabilities, the Attoch (for solar power generation) can be set up from the inside of a building, eliminating the need for scaffolding. As a result, it enables to shorten construction period and reduce costs, compared with the renovation of normal windows.

Also, the construction time per window is as short as 30 to 60 minutes, and it can be installed in any season. It mitigates summer heat and winter cold and prevents dew condensation, realizing a comfortable living environment.

AGC realized the improvement of power generation efficiency and a field of view by cutting monocrystalline solar cells into a bamboo blind-like shape. The Attoch is formed by sandwiching solar cells between laminated glass plates.

Death Metal

Burning Knuckle
Jan 9, 2007
It's been a while we don't see very innovative technology stuff from Japan. Mostly everything new I see comes from the Sillicon Valley area (and very Google-dominated too). This reminds me of the good old days when everything cool and modern was japanese, of course.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
you just don't read Japanese newspapers, lol. Japan has there own space program and nuclear submarines. They are still on the cutting edge. Japan recently passed some comprehensive laws on computer operated cars and I think I have a post here somewhere about robot drones assisting in daycares.

With all the money puring into China though, they might be the next Tech giants. Trouble with China is that their form of government tends to stifle creatitity. I can tell you one thing, the best hackers in the world are in China right now.

America has always been the tech leaders in the industry but it is always a race to keep us there. Japan, Russia, China, Taiwan, England, Germany.....those are probably the bigwigs (although there is always stiff competition in Europe in general). Japan has always had an edge on everybody when it comes to thinking outside the box, in my opinion. Amerca and Europe tend to be slaves to "linear" thinking, Russia a strong believer in durabilty and simplicity (which is an underrated philosophy), with China just spending billions trying to play catch-up. I don't know enough about Taiwan to comment on them other than they keep showing up in the Tech news.

Just my view on things. I will try to share more in this thread when I come across interesting things from Japan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Death Metal