P2P on a Mac

Egghead3

Mar 22, 2008
Hi all-
just wondered what P2P programs anyone is using on a Mac?
I've used Limewire in the past, but it just seems to screw my Mac up everytime I open it. Poisoned and Acquisition are others I've played with. Any others out there that someone can reccomend/suggest?
Egghead3

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Agreed Fuurin. Torrents are the best way to go on Mac.
Egghead, I would strongly recommend (properly) uninstalling LimeWire from your system and never install it again. It's a total garbage application and network. I've read about 5 articles on internet piracy and they all always mention the companies that are payed to upload garbage corrupt viral infected files on LimeWire.
There are a few others that I mentioned in my post here. But each requires you to find a decent place to get files. There is no large network that you can broadly search. Unfortunately we (Mac users) also can't access the bigger & better Japanese P2P networks.
desioner

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
Japanese networks

Unfortunately we (Mac users) also can't access the bigger & better Japanese P2P networks.
I'm not sure if that's completely true. You can use Mameya to connect to OpenNap servers like Zerosen which offer probably the largest collection of Japanese videos anywhere. If you want to access Share EX2 or WinMX, you can run Windows from within something like Crossover Mac, Darwine, VMWare Fusion, Apple's Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop or onmac.net's Bootloader.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Your right, sorry I wasn't so clear. I have yet to try Mameya, but I can imagine it's gonna be real tricky to get up n running as it's all in Japanese. But I'll give it my best.
Also it's possible to use windows on a mac but for some it's just not a realistic option.
Thanks for the added info.
desioner

gizmogal

Nov 10, 2006
Limewire sucked... used Azures, it's wonderful on my iBook G4 OSX 3.9 :)

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
desioner, I guess you are right that Mameya might be pretty daunting, not only because of the Japanese, but also because you need to have a large well-organized collection, so you can negotiate trades. Those who are interested can read my OpenNap FAQ.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
I'll check it out thanks. I'll also report back with info on Mameya.
desioner

Fuurin

Jan 27, 2008
I forgot about this, but Mac users also might want to try something like amule. There are a hardly any emule users in Japan, but there are a surprising number of Japanese videos uploaded by Chinese and Korean users.