over 100 years old

supermax

Akiba Citizen
Oct 10, 2008

Akiko Nagata 100th on Sept 5; Ho Chu 108th on Sept 26; and Ba Ha Jung 100 years on Sept 9

005jaa.jpg

108-year-old Ho Chu, and her 82-year-old son Park Homa (left)

006lq.jpg

100-year-old Ba Ha Jung received a blanket gift with her own photograph

007hs.jpg

100-year-old Akiko Nagata cuts the birthday cake

008ee.jpg

Fran Sumida and members of the group «Pocket Pickers» sings the birthday song

009voj.jpg

010ct.jpg

011gbi.jpg

012vh.jpg

013ti.jpg

014hk.jpg

015ya.jpg

Akiko Nagata with her great-great-granddaughter 3-year Pannoy Torok, and 8-year-old great grandson Nick Torok

016av.jpg

76-year-old Tom Nakagawa, sings and plays with other members of the group «Pocket Pickers»

017pka.jpg

web = h__p://www.sacbee.com/2010/09/24/3054730/triple-digit-birthday-party.html?mi_rss=Photo%20Galleries

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Pretty cool :)

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Nice to see something like that celebrated here. Good for them.

gyoza ramen & a beer

Feb 20, 2009
Can we even begin to imagine the changes--technological, sociological, economic, etc.--they've lived through and experienced?

Almost certainly were borne at home to mothers for whom anesthesia was a generation or more in the future and who had probably lost a child previously during birth. Probably grew up with horses as the primary means of transportation, possibly in homes without electricity and running water (my relatives of similar ages certainly did), trod on wooden sidewalks beneath gas-lamps (assuming they lived in cities or relatively urbanized areas), witnessed the birth of mass-communications (radio! telephones!! movies!!! talking movies!!!! sound-recording!), flight, the advent of modern medicine and antibiotics. All before they even reached middle-age!

And this is to say nothing of the devastation of the wars and economic crises they lived through and, of course, the personal happiness & successes and disappointments & losses that time brings to us all.

And look at 'em, they're all women! Little old ladies, at that! Hmmm, gets you thinkin', doesn't it? :study:

(I did read an interview recently with one of them--I'm pretty sure it was Akiko--who was upset that all of her Hotfile links had recently been deleted. Speaking to her daughter, who translated her remarks, she said that, at her age, she should have been treated more respectfully, adding "I'm too old for this shit!". Her daughter later offered an apology for the outburst and explained that Akiko had eaten "a large amount" of the 6-pound, 9-ounce birthday cake and that "the sugar gets her a little weird sometimes".)