[OUTRAGEOUS] Patient dies after rejection by 7 hospitals

Axandra

Jul 7, 2008
Patient dies after rejection by 7 hospitals

THE ASAHI SHIMBUN (2008/10/23)

A pregnant woman who was denied entry to seven hospitals despite being close to the due date and with suspected bleeding in the brain died early this month after giving birth, Tokyo metropolitan government officials said.

The 36-year-old woman had to wait about 75 minutes to be admitted to the hospital where she underwent an operation.

The baby is healthy, they added.

The metropolitan government is investigating the events leading to the woman's death.

The woman, who was nine months pregnant, was brought to her obstetrics and gynecology clinic in Koto Ward by ambulance on Oct. 4 with a severe headache and other ailments, the officials said.

Her doctor suspected she was suffering from a cerebral hemorrhage. Around 7 p.m., the doctor began searching for hospitals that could perform an emergency operation.

All seven hospitals contacted refused to accept her, including the Metropolitan Bokutoh Hospital in neighboring Sumida Ward, which is designated by the metropolitan government as a medical center that deals with high-risk pregnant women and newborns 24 hours a day.

The hospitals said the doctors were busy with other patients or that they lacked available beds.

Around 7:45 p.m., the doctor again called the Bokutoh Hospital, which accepted her.

After arriving at the hospital at 8:18 p.m., the woman gave birth through Caesarean section and underwent surgery to remove hematomas caused by the cerebral hemorrhage.

She died three days later.

The Bokutoh Hospital previously had two doctors on duty, but the shortage of obstetricians has forced the hospital to have only one doctor on duty for weekends and national holidays since July.

Oct. 4 was a Saturday.

When only one doctor is on duty, the hospital generally does not accept patients in emergency situations.

When the hospital received a second request from the clinic, it summoned another doctor to the hospital.

Hospital officials said they were not informed of the woman's cerebral hemorrhage when the first request was made.

According to a survey by the Fire and Disaster Management Agency, about 47,000 women were rushed to maternity hospitals in 2007.

In 1,084 cases, the woman was rejected by at least three hospitals. One woman was denied entry 42 times.
(IHT/Asahi: October 23,2008)

-----------
* Emphasis mine; and they don't mention in this article the last year's similar case in Nara... but here it is: EDITORIAL: Death of rejected patient

So, we can see that in Japan, there's a 2.22% chance of you (or your friend / wife in labor) to be denied emergency medical assistance by the account that doctors are busy or there aren't enough beds. If anyone thinks the latter is the case, just fuckin' Google it!

hakomi

Jun 3, 2007
It is really sad, but that's also the reality of the world. The woman will have my prayer, and i wish the infant will grow up to be a healthy, responsible, and respectable child.

love & peace

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
My buddy had been turned away from three because he was foreign and the hospitals did not 'know how' to treat foreigners properly. Lousy excuse. Now we know of four other good hospitals and have befriended doctors and staff at each of them. Should anyone in my family fall ill, we know where to go.

Axandra

Jul 7, 2008
Now we know of four other good hospitals and have befriended doctors and staff at each of them. Should anyone in my family fall ill, we know where to go.

Interesting approach. However, no matter how valid it may be in real life -- and I'm sure it can prove to be -- I despise having to recourse to such acts, for they're nothing than another form of bribery.

First of all, it reminds me too much of the state of affairs in my native country, an ex-communist one, where relations and influence ruled everything, at every level.
Frankly, they still do to a degree, because it takes time to get rid of bad habits accumulated through at least three generations.

Secondly, where would we be if for any other kind of emergency we had to befriend not only medical personnel, but also policemen, firefighters, etc.?! Would we be still able to travel around? Think of it, especially with regard to the last sentence...

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
Hmmm.. We have a lot of cases that resemble this unfortunate event.. Some hospitals here ask for an initial down payment before they treat the patient. No down payment, no treatment.. We have a law that punishes hospitals that implements such policies but they are not well-implemented.. A lot of health institutions here are also understaffed and lack equipments to treat patients with severe trauma. They end up dying on their way to the nearest regional hospital.. Really sad.

DarkTenshi

Sep 30, 2008
Close to home...

Patient dies after rejection by 7 hospitals

-----------
* Emphasis mine; and they don't mention in this article the last year's similar case in Nara... but here it is: EDITORIAL: Death of rejected patient

So, we can see that in Japan, there's a 2.22% chance of you (or your friend / wife in labor) to be denied emergency medical assistance by the account that doctors are busy or there aren't enough beds. If anyone thinks the latter is the case, just fuckin' Google it!

I remember hearing about that case last year from my Japanese mother-in-law. My wife, who very fortunately only suffered temporary memory loss, actually had an aneurysm during labor, so basically the same thing as in this article.
My wife's mom was, while a very nice lady, has never so happy that my wife was in the US, as when she had heard about this sort of thing going on in Japan and compared it with the medical care she received here in the US.

Let me assure you mom, who doesn't really speak any English (and me who's Japanese vocabulary did not include a lot of medical terms were seriously freaked out at the time, but at least we had very competent and professional care.

AnimeFan01

Nov 12, 2008
I think the underlying problem is that money plays too heavily into the medical field nowadays. I feel money is the cause for the understaffing and refusal to take people because they cannot pay. Too many hospitals are becoming privately owned and end up being operated as a business rather than a hospital. I remember this case in New York a while back where a woman waited for over 24 hours for care and ended up dying in the waiting room. The staff did not go to check up on her until a few hours after she had been lying dead on the floor for a few hours. I'm sure if she had full health insurance, they would have treated her like a queen.

sharky

Jun 26, 2008
No, you guys! That's not the problem at all. Although money may be a problem in certain areas, The reason this woman was refused treatment by 7 hospitals was because she would be considered "too risky." Her condition = cerebral hemorrhage + C-section + age 36 (complications during birth and w/ child development, such as Down Syndrome, dramatically increase after the mother turns 35). All 7 previous hospitals, probably also including the one that took her in, judged that she could potentially die on them and thus may result in a hefty lawsuit against the gynecologist in charge. The hospital that took her in must've felt sympathetic towards her case, but I'm sure they did all they could to save her and her baby's life.

P.S. For this reason, ob & gyn physicians are the most sued doctors in the med. field. 66% of them get sued at least once in their lifetime. 33% gets sued at least twice!

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
No, you guys! That's not the problem at all. Although money may be a problem in certain areas, The reason this woman was refused treatment by 7 hospitals was because she would be considered "too risky."
Pray tell, what do you think the risks are, exactly, in being sued for malpractice if not financial? Most doctors fear two things in a malpractice lawsuit:

1. damages (direct loss of $$$)

2. loss of medical license (indirect loss of $$$)

To say to somebody, "It isn't about money, it's about fear of lawsuits" is to say, "It isn't about broken bones, it's about fear of falling from high places."

To say to somebody, "It isn't about money, it's about fear of lawsuits" is to say, "It isn't about anaphylaxis, it's about fear of bees."

To say to somebody, "It isn't about money, it's about fear of lawsuits" is to say, "It isn't about money, it's about a lawyer not being sure whether or not he can win the case if he agrees to defend a man who is clearly guilty."

Shout "No!" all you like, but it seems to me that you are in agreement that this boils down to money issues whether you realize it or not! ^^; If hospitals did not need to worry about lawsuits -- and therefore not worry about losing money -- then the problem might be alleviated. Not solved, but alleviated.

teguh123

Jan 18, 2009
Well, if it's money so what? Doctors are humans too and they have right to maximize their profit like the rest of us. Me, I always avoid potentially problematic customers.

I am often rejected by many people for reasons unclear to me, but I respect them as a right.

Too bad the women died. But there is just no way to fix that kind of issue.