Osaka. Japan's most dangerous city... [safer] compared to USA?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

ardo

Mar 2, 2010
Osaka has the highest crime rate in Japan both as a city and a prefecture with more r***s and murders than any other city. While this may come to a surprise to foreigners it certainly does not surprise the locals who are all uniformly weary of a certain location in Osaka: Nishinari-ku, a district which is notorious for being the most dangerous place in the city, serving as a hide-out for criminals, hangout for the Yakuza (Japanese Mafia) and home to Japan’s largest Red Light District (Tobita).

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/5/prweb9440439.htm

Nishinari is home to an overwhelming population of homeless people who reside in Kamagasaki, a district of Nishinari-ku.

Since 1961 twenty three riots have occurred in Kamagasaki, most of them minor, and most of them involving said homeless population. In an effort to escape this stigma the city renamed Kamgasaki to Airin-chiku in 1966.

From these impressions Osaka and Nishinari seem like a very dangerous place.

However... In 2007 Osaka Prefecture had approximately 79 murders out of approximately 10,000,000 people, which equates to .79 for each 100,000.

And 109 r***s out of 10,000,000 people which equates to .1 for each 100,000 respectively.

In order to maintain perspective, Detroit has 4.3 murders for every 100,000 and 5.7 r***s [per 100,000].

Japan is one of the safest countries in the world; so safe that the Japanese themselves are over sensitive in their perception of crime. If they think Osaka is bad they should take a trip to Juarez, Mexico. [!]

namba_night_lucias.jpg

gyoza ramen & a beer

Feb 20, 2009
If they think Osaka is bad they should take a trip to Juarez, Mexico. [!]

Or any number of American cities...

wudjamahuh

Jan 29, 2008
I spent a few days in Osaka last December, and I've truly never felt safer anywhere else in the world! As with anywhere in Japan, the people there are exceptionally polite - almost painfully so. We asked this one couple for directions and they just went out of their way and led us where we wanted to go. I don't think we visited the sketchy part of town mentioned in the article, but I'd imagine we probably wouldn't have known it even if we were actually in the worst part of town.

That's a stark contrast from some places I've been to in the U.S. and Canada. Even Bangkok, Jakarta and Manila felt safe compared to most western cities I've spent time in.

sapientiam

Jan 1, 2010
BANGKOK HAS IT!

NewbieLam

Oct 13, 2008
Yes, In Japan if they can't solve a crime be that murder or r***, they won't report them as crimes. So the statistic is way off when it comes to eastern countries.

roceil123

May 20, 2008
What riot hahahaha

The article literally said:
At least there's less people DYING and GETTING r*** here than in the USA.

I'd like to see their faces if their blood relative or family are the ones getting killed and r***.

Might as well go to Japan and kill and r*** a few people then.

camlost245

Swollen Member
Mar 1, 2009
A lot of crime goes unreported in Japan (and much of the far east) due to the 'saving face' nature of the culture. Just don't believe everything you read. Spend a few years in Japan, learn Japanese and you'll see for yourself.

That's true, I can't tell you how many times I've had my umbrella stolen. :joker:

wudjamahuh

Jan 29, 2008
I agree that US cities are generally 'considered' to be more dangerous than those in Japan, but statistics don't tell you everything. The US has a relentless police force that puts people in jail for the smallest of crimes, and to be honest US cops are much better at their job (despite being over the top) than those in Japan who don't seem to know what they are dealing with half of the time. A lot of crime goes unreported in Japan (and much of the far east) due to the 'saving face' nature of the culture. Just don't believe everything you read. Spend a few years in Japan, learn Japanese and you'll see for yourself.

I call BS!

When you speak of people not reporting crimes, what crimes do you mean exactly? Murder? r***? r*** would be a crime which is often not reported for a variety of reasons, but this isn't just an Asian phenomenon. Are you saying that the murder rate is higher in Osaka than the article says it is? It doesn't seem possible that Japanese people would fail to report murders to the police to save face, but I'd love to read any proof that tells me otherwise if you've got it.

cattz

(◣_◢)
Jun 11, 2007
What? Knocking the US but also admitting places like Mexico are like hell on earth?

Not to mention how ass backwords Japans police are, and the COUNTLESS stories about how they label murders "suicides" instead..

Man, this just seems like it was meant to troll people , lol...

wudjamahuh

Jan 29, 2008
My question to those who are skeptical about Osaka's and Japan's crime statistics is, how many of you have actually been there?

It's practically as safe as the Vatican. In eight years out here I've never been the victim of any crime and I haven't met anyone whose been the victim of any violent crime. I know one local who had his apartment robbed and one local who had his car stolen, but that's it.

The police are indeed useless, but that's only because they've adapted to policing a country full of honorable goody two shoes law abiding citizens. 95% of police work in Japan involves enforcing traffic laws.