Need help if someone can help.

Taako

Akiba Citizen
May 25, 2017
Hi hi,

I'm trying to learn coding. I'm just starting.
So I wonder which is better for newbies, command prompt or powershell?
I don't know which is better for some one who just starting off.
So any recommendations?

I am using an old computer, with Windows 10 btw.

I am so far been given a test by the website to create a simple script. Using my computer, Notepad, and that's it.

1. I have to find the Documents directory.
2. I have to create a Folder called Project 1.
3. Then I have to create another Folder called Project 2, which I guess, the Project 2 Folder, will go in Project 1 Folder.
4. I have to create a "Welcome text message, using Notepad.
5. I have to put the "Welcome message in Folder 2.

I did well, creating 2 folders in Documents. And I did well creating the "Welcome text message.
But all 3 is separate.
I'm confuse on how to make them appear as one .
I know some of the commands, rm = remove, cd = change directory,

1. Anyways, is Powershell X86 or Command Prompt better for me?
2. And what am I doing wrong with this test?

Any advise will be appreciate it:)

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
powershell is not very simple, it's closer to actual programming than it is scripting which is what it's classified as. You have to understand the principles of object-oriented programming to use it so it wouldn't be my first choice.

On the other hand, command prompt is simple but very old so it has many limitations. For example, doing anything other than extremely simple math (adding the size of 2 files together in bytes is a nightmare to do). If you have more than basic needs, it can get pretty complex.

Honestly, I'd suggest learning python. It's very popular so there's a lot of resources available for help and it's fairly simple. Not as much as command prompt, but still very easy(I've had to program a micro controller and my indexing script with python so had to learn it recently) and probably easier than powershell. It's just more of a pain having to deal with installing the required modules to make what you want work, but if you keep it simple, you can get away with just using basic stuff which won't require that, just the default install.

You can also make yourself an account on ChatGPT and ask it questions for how to do stuff or explain to you part of some code, it's very good at that(but sometimes it can't quite do it so you have to figure it out yourself, it just gets you there most of the way).

Which of the 3 is best depends on what you want to do though and learning some basic command line stuff is very useful to know since for quick simple stuff regarding files or interacting with command line only softwares, it's the best thing to use.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by appear as one since if folder 2 should be in folder 1 and the welcome message should be in folder 2, you can't display more than 1 level at a time in command line so you'll always only see 1 of each if you display the content of either. But I guess it would be possible to display the full path to the welcome file which would include everything but the content of the message. And them being as one could also just mean put everything inside each other.
From the steps and what you said you know, sounds like what you're missing is knowledge on how to move stuff.
https://ss64.com/ is a great reference to know pretty much everything about the command line, it's what I used when writing my encoding and uploading scripts, you'll find how to move a file or folder very easily if you look there(I'm not going to just tell you the answer since you're trying to learn, better to know how to figure it out so you don't have to ask for everything).

BTW, you wanted the Tech Support section, this one is to create tutorials for people.

Reactions: Taako

Taako

Akiba Citizen
May 25, 2017
powershell is not very simple, it's closer to actual programming than it is scripting which is what it's classified as. You have to understand the principles of object-oriented programming to use it so it wouldn't be my first choice.

On the other hand, command prompt is simple but very old so it has many limitations. For example, doing anything other than extremely simple math (adding the size of 2 files together in bytes is a nightmare to do). If you have more than basic needs, it can get pretty complex.

Honestly, I'd suggest learning python. It's very popular so there's a lot of resources available for help and it's fairly simple. Not as much as command prompt, but still very easy(I've had to program a micro controller and my indexing script with python so had to learn it recently) and probably easier than powershell. It's just more of a pain having to deal with installing the required modules to make what you want work, but if you keep it simple, you can get away with just using basic stuff which won't require that, just the default install.
I'm so new to this. Programmer. I don't want to confuse my self. I appreciate this advice.
You can also make yourself an account on ChatGPT and ask it questions for how to do stuff or explain to you part of some code, it's very good at that(but sometimes it can't quite do it so you have to figure it out yourself, it just gets you there most of the way).
Good idea. Thank you,
Which of the 3 is best depends on what you want to do though and learning some basic command line stuff is very useful to know since for quick simple stuff regarding files or interacting with command line only softwares, it's the best thing to use.
I see. Thank you.
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by appear as one since if folder 2 should be in folder 1 and the welcome message should be in folder 2, you can't display more than 1 level at a time in command line so you'll always only see 1 of each if you display the content of either. But I guess it would be possible to display the full path to the welcome file which would include everything but the content of the message. And them being as one could also just mean put everything inside each other.
From the steps and what you said you know, sounds like what you're missing is knowledge on how to move stuff.
https://ss64.com/ is a great reference to know pretty much everything about the command line, it's what I used when writing my encoding and uploading scripts, you'll find how to move a file or folder very easily if you look there(I'm not going to just tell you the answer since you're trying to learn, better to know how to figure it out so you don't have to ask for everything).
Yes. I missing the knowledge of how to move stuff. It's making me kind of frustrated.:confused:
This will be a big help for me. Thank you so much.:)

And thanks again. I don't want any answers because I need to do this myself and understand lol
Thank you, thank you.:cihuy:
BTW, you wanted the Tech Support section, this one is to create tutorials for people.
Oh, thanks. I kept wondering was I asking in the correct forum and took a guess.