MPAA wants more criminal cases brought against 'rogue' sites

ardo

Mar 2, 2010
Alfred Perry, vice president of worldwide antipiracy for Paramount Pictures... appeared on a panel during the On Copyright conference at Columbia University.

Perry told attendees that the studios "continue to make criminal referrals" to authorities regarding "rogue" cyberlockers. He also said that some sites that enable piracy are often operated by criminal gangs that oversee multiple criminal enterprises. After the panel, he gave... a list of the sites the studios consider rogue: Putlocker, Wupload, Depositfiles, FileServe, and MediaFire.

rogue1_610x442.jpg
alperry_270x320.jpg

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-5...e-criminal-cases-brought-against-rogue-sites/

Later he added that "more than 41 billion page views (yearly) are generated by the top 5 rogue cyberlocker services. That's five page views for every person on the planet."

His comments...are consistent with what my film-industry sources have told since MegaUpload founder Kim DotCom was tossed in a New Zealand jail in January. There's no question that the film studios and major music labels want more arrests made and to link some forms of Internet piracy to criminal conduct.

The MPAA's antipiracy unit played a big role in helping to inform the U.S. Department of Justice about MegaUpload's operations when the DOJ first began investigating the company in 2010.

The arrest of DotCom and shut down of MegaUpload certainly sent a message to some of the company's competitors. The blog TorrentFreak reported that soon after the raid on DotCom's home, about nine similar services attempted to limit the amount of pirated content on their sites, and several others shut down completely.

gyoza ramen & a beer

Feb 20, 2009
I was wondering what had happened that, as of yesterday, Fileserve was once again displaying their "FileServe can only be used to download and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally", aren't-we-a-good-citizen message.

Regardless of which side of the download-issue you're on, you gotta be impressed with the slippery, lawyer-lizard speed with which these guys slime back and forth across the line.

They have achieved something I didn't think was possible: they are actually...well, almost...making politicians appear principled by comparison.

Talk about situational ethics!

macchan

Nov 20, 2009
We don't need kind of this guy on the net. They will destroy it. This person earn more money than you and me without doing anything just lobbying.:sadomaso:

Apr 11, 2007
"vice president of worldwide antipiracy"
"rogue" cyberlockers"
"sites that enable piracy are often operated by criminal gangs"
"There's no question that the film studios and major music labels want more arrests made"
"U.S. Department of Justice" ?????

These funny people... we live in a world of obscurity.:pandalaugh:

Glassjaw

Miu > all
Apr 30, 2007
Putlocker is probably a fake site used to convince people these sites are involved in terrorism.

Seeker77

Feb 12, 2012
It seems to me that Anonymous got their hands full on this one......

If this goes on ....it will be a very sad day for the downloading community. :cry:

cryonox

Nov 8, 2007
41 billion page view huh? interesting number...he should have chosen 42. everybody needs an answer...that should have done it.

switchblade1984

Jan 9, 2009
I call BS on the whole thing

Seems they have been trying to get people in jail for years but I ask you is doing such acts really worthy of being put in the same place as murders and other more serious criminals? It's all just a front because it's a lot easier to arrest ""Cyber Criminals"" on such things then it is to catch real criminals, safer too, I am sure the Megaupload guys werent housing a bunch of deadly weapons.

Go stop serious criminals first.

japseye

Oct 28, 2009
^ Kim DotCom did actually have a semi-automatic shotgun and another gun but that's besides the point.

These piracy peoples' points are quite ridiculous, in any normal country they wouldn't have a leg to stand on, the law is an ass I know, but the law seems to be an ass no matter which side you're on, especially when it's changeable on occasion.

The online file storage sites are quite clever flirting on the edge of legality, but money and rewards has ruined file-sharing imo and too many greedy people have got involved and that leaves us in the situation we're in today. Most of Europe seems quite sane at the moment but I expect that to change soon and move over with the US.

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
...but money and rewards has ruined file-sharing imo and too many greedy people have got involved and that leaves us in the situation we're in today.

You nailed it.

It's like the people who go and pirate software and then sell it on Ebay. If people just shared and didn't profit off what they share then the agency's and manufactures would have a weaker case. When you resell a retail product you're asking for trouble. I know sharing in general is frowned upon, but I think sharing at least helps lower the ridiculously high prices these agency's charge because of less demand. But selling something that already has a price tag is a double whammy against sharing community's. If you're going to do anything, just share the stuff. I've always shared because I wanted people to enjoy what I also enjoyed. It was never about making money. What is this world coming to.