Movies disappear!?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Corkson

Nov 15, 2007
I recently tried to watch a video on my external drive that I hadn't looked at for some time. There was audio, but no video. A few other files were the same. Some would only show a white screen, some wouldn't play at all.

A friend says there's some kind of "self destruct" mechanism in pirated movies that will cause this after a period of time. Is this true?

snowtiger702

Mar 31, 2007
just sounds like a codec to decode the video is missing or has been over written by another program. Try using VLC Media player to play the videos. Without more detail, its hard to know what happened.

Corkson

Nov 15, 2007
Most of it is avi and mp4 files--stuff I downloaded from akiba. Quicktime (I run a MacBook) had always been able to open them until that day. I'm sure it's something I did or didn't do that caused the problem. Still, I can't help but be a little paranoid about what my friend told me. I thought I was in heaven with a big hard drive full of vids--no more disks to clutter up the place. Now I'm not so sure.

Is this "self-destruct" thing a bunch of crap, or has this happened to others?

ryuuga

みうみうの恋人
Super Moderator
Apr 2, 2007
The thing your friend mentioned could be "DRM".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

However, I don't think DRM movies are posted in this forum. So your friend's "self-destruct" theory is not true.

There's only 2 possiblities.

1. Last time you could open those movies without any problems. Now you can't. Perhaps you are using different player. Forget about quicktime at this time. Try using other players. I recommend KMplayer. You can search for it from google.

2. If it still doesn't work after you have tried some other players, then that means your videos are somehow corrupted. It could be any reasons why the video files are corrupted and it could take a long time to figure out or fix it. So it's better to give up and redownload the whole thing.

So good luck dude.