Mafia involvement in the JAV industry?

joeyjoejoe

Aug 26, 2009
Does anyone with in depth knowledge of Japanese society or the JAV industry know how much (if any) involvement there is from organized crime?

I imagine certain groups of mafia in Japan are active stakeholders in, or are at the very minimum invested in some parts of the business. Or is this something that is no longer the case? Do mafia groups have any influence at all?

Inertia

Akiba Citizen
Apr 2, 2015
There was some mob involvement once upon a time, but the industry is not as lucrative as it once has been (guess why). I've met many heads of studios and have been to countless offices and it's extremely by-the-books.

Reactions: Supmop

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
Does anyone with in depth knowledge of Japanese society or the JAV industry know how much (if any) involvement there is from organized crime?

I imagine certain groups of mafia in Japan are active stakeholders in, or are at the very minimum invested in some parts of the business. Or is this something that is no longer the case? Do mafia groups have any influence at all?
First get the terms straight, they are called the yakuza, not mafia. Second they are involved in lots of things, not just gambling, drugs and sex, they are in many legit business, especially politics. Recently I read a book (ok I only read like 1/5 of a book) that cover the rescue and clean-up of 311 earthquake/tsunami/nuclear disaster was done by the yakuza. Only they have the hundreds of loyal men (and some women) willing to do the shoveling dirt or whatever in the radiation. Yakuza has always been involved in labor-intensive sectors including electric companies.

What @Inertia said is also all true. Yakuza are involved in JAV, but most of everyday everyyear work is also by the book. As top elite of Japan was turning more American-leaning since Koizumi (especially Abe), most daily business in Japan are becoming more open and by the book. Yakuza are also less involved and they themselves are turning more legal.

But if you ask me, for most native Japanese people, this trend didn't make life better.

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012

Yakuza already leaved AV bussiness, and if you read news, they invested more overseas, mostly in countries that have weak law

joeyjoejoe

Aug 26, 2009
First get the terms straight, they are called the yakuza, not mafia.

haha dude.. the word Yakuza in Japanese ヤクザ is colloqually translated to English as mafia. Maybe more specifically Japanese mafia, but still mafia. I know the terms. Also I read the same wikipedia article you did.

@Inertia said is also all true. Yakuza are involved in JAV

Wait.. he said that they're not involved in the JAV industry anymore...

Yakuza are also less involved and they themselves are turning more legal. But if you ask me, for most native Japanese people, this trend didn't make life better.

This trend didn't make life better? You'd prefer the Japanese mafia to be still into trafficking and extortion?

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
haha dude.. the word Yakuza in Japanese ヤクザ is colloqually translated to English as mafia. Maybe more specifically Japanese mafia, but still mafia. I know the terms. Also I read the same wikipedia article you did.
Wait.. he said that they're not involved in the JAV industry anymore...
This trend didn't make life better? You'd prefer the Japanese mafia to be still into trafficking and extortion?
Just because it's common (in your corner of the universe) doesn't make it right. Mafia isn't English either. If you insist on conflating them, that's your prerogative. It's like the early days of trying to go around saying "manga" or "anime" instead of Japanese comics or Japanese cartoons. You could just as well insist on calling it Japanese comic too, it is objectively true that in the English world, more people (100%) understand the phrase Japanese comics than manga (maybe 30-40%). But good luck sustaining a conversation with someone who knows the topic.

@Inertia didn't say the thing you said he said.

I didn't say the thing you said I said.

Evidently you and I belong in different echo chambers, so let it rests.

Reactions: hiten and Supmop

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012

sorry I can't hold not to laugh when I read this :D

carry on guys ;)

Reactions: Casshern2

joeyjoejoe

Aug 26, 2009
@Inertia didn't say the thing you said he said.

I didn't say the thing you said I said.

I don't think I missed anything in your comments. Even supmop said
Yakuza already leaved AV bussiness

@ding73ding If you don't have anything to add, please don't reply? You already took the thread off-topic.

Btw, saying "mafia" is not an English word is like saying "ballet" isn't an English word either.

Last edited:

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
Btw, saying "mafia" is not an English word is like saying "ballet" isn't an English word either.

Yakuza involvement in AV are no more than urban legend

Japanese mafia is so weird

its like watching The Godfather, Marlon Brando speak with japanese accent :D

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
If you don't have anything to add, please don't reply? You already took the thread off-topic.
Yes, mom. I know, mom. Wait what? You are not my mom? Who?
<yells> Yes mom! I will be in bed soon. I will be logging out as soon as I posted this.

WHAT? <YELLS> I already showered! Yes yes I CHANGED MY UNDERWEAR TOO. OK OK I will get a job tomorrow! GEESH.

silent1one

Dec 10, 2016
You can probably find countless av and hentai reenacting this topic. There are always going to be rumors about how they would sent out agents to blackmail and trick housewives and teens in to working in av or prostitutions. Some said they even "test" the girls prior to selling them off. There are also news about them donating money to help this and that. It doesn't matter if it's for image repair or not. Yakuza owns a lot of legal and illegal businesses, but they can be both good and bad.

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
Well... the streets of Japan are quite safe for regular folks. Let's be clear. Japan is one of the safest country on Earth for regular native folks, singer women and children can stroll the streets without any worries. Yakuza is a stabilizing force for traditional community. Sure they run illegal gambling, loan sharks and brothels, but their victims generally can't say they don't have it coming. Look I am not endorsing any illegal activity or crime gangs, but the fact is for an honest straight and narrow hard working Japanese kid, man or woman, they can live a whole lifetime next door to the yakuza without ever being bothered by them. Yakuza and Authority (gov, police etc) have an implicit mutual understanding, Yakuza rules the lower society as long as they don't bother upstanding folks and embarrass the authority. Actually the gov is happy that Yakuza maintains a sustainable system to "deal with" ... what to call them... it's a bit harsh language sorry, but hard to explain it without sounding judgmental... the losers of society, those who don't do well in school, not able to earn enough money, addicted to alcohol, gambling etc, Yakuza exploits these people but Authority allows because it keeps the criminality and damage to the lower society, protecting regular folks and hold up the image of gov.

First time I visited Japan (wow 25 yrs ago) I was just absolutely amazed, seeing tiny kids, literally 6 years old, going to school using public transport bus without adult supervision. In most places, parents with kids crossing the street can't even let go of their little hands for 1 second. And not talking about small towns or rural village, you can see them in the busiest parts of Tokyo. I travel a lot, Japan is unique for modern, high tech countries. However bad or criminal Yakuza were, this was the Japan with safety and trust.

It goes out the windows when society "opens up", politicians, media, police, and Yakuza can't stay business as usual, no one can truly trust the others because everything is "open" and you have freedom of the press and they can bring down politicians. You now even have a Taiwanese woman heads a major political party (used to be about as nutty as a slave becoming US president). Actually in the old Yakuza days, you can't even imagine allowing a gaijin @Inertia getting so involved in the AV sector. Superficially these are all positive, at least righteous, trends. But I think... to the native folks (meaning excluding gaijins) Japan in 2017 isn't better than 25 years ago. Overall crime rate may be down (Yakuza activity decreased) but regular folks may be less safe than before because un-organized crime is up.

Now I wonder... these recent multiple little (and public) incidents between AV industry and authority, could it be due to Yakuza becoming less involved? Like that orgy vid production that resulted in public indecency charge. If it were a Yakuza managed premise I doubt it would be so much trouble.

silent1one

Dec 10, 2016
Well... the streets of Japan are quite safe for regular folks. Let's be clear. Japan is one of the safest country on Earth for regular native folks, singer women and children can stroll the streets without any worries. Yakuza is a stabilizing force for traditional community. Sure they run illegal gambling, loan sharks and brothels, but their victims generally can't say they don't have it coming. Look I am not endorsing any illegal activity or crime gangs, but the fact is for an honest straight and narrow hard working Japanese kid, man or woman, they can live a whole lifetime next door to the yakuza without ever being bothered by them. Yakuza and Authority (gov, police etc) have an implicit mutual understanding, Yakuza rules the lower society as long as they don't bother upstanding folks and embarrass the authority. Actually the gov is happy that Yakuza maintains a sustainable system to "deal with" ... what to call them... it's a bit harsh language sorry, but hard to explain it without sounding judgmental... the losers of society, those who don't do well in school, not able to earn enough money, addicted to alcohol, gambling etc, Yakuza exploits these people but Authority allows because it keeps the criminality and damage to the lower society, protecting regular folks and hold up the image of gov.

First time I visited Japan (wow 25 yrs ago) I was just absolutely amazed, seeing tiny kids, literally 6 years old, going to school using public transport bus without adult supervision. In most places, parents with kids crossing the street can't even let go of their little hands for 1 second. And not talking about small towns or rural village, you can see them in the busiest parts of Tokyo. I travel a lot, Japan is unique for modern, high tech countries. However bad or criminal Yakuza were, this was the Japan with safety and trust.

It goes out the windows when society "opens up", politicians, media, police, and Yakuza can't stay business as usual, no one can truly trust the others because everything is "open" and you have freedom of the press and they can bring down politicians. You now even have a Taiwanese woman heads a major political party (used to be about as nutty as a slave becoming US president). Actually in the old Yakuza days, you can't even imagine allowing a gaijin @Inertia getting so involved in the AV sector. Superficially these are all positive, at least righteous, trends. But I think... to the native folks (meaning excluding gaijins) Japan in 2017 isn't better than 25 years ago. Overall crime rate may be down (Yakuza activity decreased) but regular folks may be less safe than before because un-organized crime is up.

Now I wonder... these recent multiple little (and public) incidents between AV industry and authority, could it be due to Yakuza becoming less involved? Like that orgy vid production that resulted in public indecency charge. If it were a Yakuza managed premise I doubt it would be so much trouble.
How old are you, anyway? I appreciate your detailed answers, but sometimes you can sound like a stuck-up Know-it-all.

silent1one

Dec 10, 2016
It's still a regular business Even if yakuza does control most of the sex-related operations in Japan. There are a lot of women that chose to work in this field. Some sex workers even protest for more rights instead of attacking the industry. http://www.tokyokinky.com/tokyo-sex-workers-masked-protest-raise-awareness-international-womens-day/

With the whole carribean arrests happening now and in the last few months, I wonder if the Japanese government will target more of those illegal soap lands and host clubs next. I'm sure they knew about the illegal sex activities going on for years and have a huge list of companies on file, but only started to do something now. A lot politicians and businessmen are frequent customers too.

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
It's still a regular business Even if yakuza does control most of the sex-related operations in Japan. There are a lot of women that chose to work in this field. Some sex workers even protest for more rights instead of attacking the industry. http://www.tokyokinky.com/tokyo-sex-workers-masked-protest-raise-awareness-international-womens-day/

With the whole carribean arrests happening now and in the last few months, I wonder if the Japanese government will target more of those illegal soap lands and host clubs next. I'm sure they knew about the illegal sex activities going on for years and have a huge list of companies on file, but only started to do something now. A lot politicians and businessmen are frequent customers too.

already a setup from the start

I'm sure high profile customers such as high class bussinessmen and politicians identities will be open

samurai79

I like bukkake movies.
Oct 28, 2009
The longer you live in Japan, you more you realize that the Japanese mafia runs JAPAN.

silent1one

Dec 10, 2016
Thoughts? http://www.tokyoreporter.com/2017/0...zora-to-serve-as-prostitute-in-taiwan-report/ I don't want to start a new thread because I'm not sure if this is legit. It's not a surprise for Av actresses to continue looking for various opportunities after retirement even in the grey zone. Taiwan and China are their main target of audiences and would occasionally invite av actresses to guest star in movies, game shows, stage shows, night clubs, and more. The original Ebisu muscat also have concert tours in HK and Taiwan.

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
Thoughts? http://www.tokyoreporter.com/2017/0...zora-to-serve-as-prostitute-in-taiwan-report/ I don't want to start a new thread because I'm not sure if this is legit. It's not a surprise for Av actresses to continue looking for various opportunities after retirement even in the grey zone. Taiwan and China are their main target of audiences and would occasionally invite av actresses to guest star in movies, game shows, stage shows, night clubs, and more. The original Ebisu muscat also have concert tours in HK and Taiwan.

I doubt it

they come as guest star yes, but for prostitution ... someone needed sensation :D

they mentioned about Arisa Fujii too, I'm sure she still have popularity in JAV

sometimes they are ridiculous, prostitution illegal in taiwan how come they promote it and promised no arrest would take place ... but yes it possible because actually there are no sex service there :D

Last edited:

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
I lean towards calling this one bullshit. If the report came out AFTER the supposed event, hmm maybe, a huge maybe. But the news report come out BEFORE? No way.

Prostitution is illegal in Taiwan, of course it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. But it's hard to locate and buy commercial sex in Taiwan without a local guide in last few years (do you want to guess how I know this?) Well actually it's always been illegal, but the authority had been lax about enforcement for decades, that changed about 10 years ago.

I can assume AV idols making "private arrangements" in Taiwan (I think slightly less so in China, but that's a whole different ball) is a regular happening, but it's all private arrangement. Meaning you and I can't walk in a place with a pocket full of cash and expect to get an AV experience.

If the report really come out on TW newspaper, you know the police will have to show up, the authority can tolerate private arrangements, but making the newspaper and especially if reporters manage to snap a photo or two and the police failed to arrest someone for it, there'd be hell, especially from the very noisy Christian lobby. Japanese tabloid (linked by TP) of course seize on one or two online mad fans, I'd bet a dollar those are posted by cherry boys who can't even afford or get access to regular hookers.

I don't think it catches on here in Akiba Online that in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong, JAV is very popular because there's no similar products from local, but Japanese or JAV prostitutes aren't particularly a attraction. We have prostitutes who look similar enough. Sure there are always mad fans who have to have the REAL thing, but there are always mad fans, not a meaningful trend.

There's a demand for white, especially blond prostitutes, because they are exotic. Just like Asian girls are exotic to most English speakers on Akiba, blonds are exotic to Chinese the way Japanese are not. For awhile, if you know where to look, you can spot groups of white hookers in China, mostly Russians and Eastern Europeans.