JavLuv JAV Browser

TmpGuy

JavLuv author, lesbian connoisseur
Jun 1, 2013
While I'm waiting to install the zipped version, I noticed this odd thing - a list of moves available to be played, and none of them are the movie listed in the info page! Other movies have a similar problem, sometimes listing the movie indicated and a few others as well. Different labels, too. Strange?
Well, shit. Somehow JavLuv is getting confused and is thinking those files are all part of the same movie, like a movie in multiple parts, or excepts, etc.. wtf...

I recently make some optimization to try to speed up re-scanning existing movies, but there may be something going wrong with the new code. Sigh... I think I'm just going to have to rewrite the file scanner. I had originally written it assuming that each movie went into it's own folder. I later added support for people who have many movies in a single folder, but it gets too easily confused. I need to figure out something more robust so stuff like this doesn't happen.

If you could post your logs, it might help me figure out what happened. In Settings at the bottom of the page, there's a button to copy a zipped log file. If you post that, either here or via private message, I'll take a look at figure out what's going with your movies.

Reactions: weppin

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
Is that a different message than what you posted earlier? If so, could you post a screenshot?

To be clear, after you unzipped and launched JavLuv.exe, you saw an error right away, or only after you tried to scan files?
No, it was the same message as before, I'm just a little brain foggy RN and didn't type it out exactly as presented, didn't mean to confuse you there.

The generic "unable to execute" message was upon immediate run after installing the zipped files. There was no incidence of the program opening but being unable to operate.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
No, it was the same message as before, I'm just a little brain foggy RN and didn't type it out exactly as presented, didn't mean to confuse you there.

The generic "unable to execute" message was upon immediate run after installing the zipped files. There was no incidence of the program opening but being unable to operate.

Hmm, okay. What about if you uninstall JavLuv, then install using the new Setup_JavLuv.msi? Any better luck?

Setup_JavLuv.msi

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
Well shit...If you could post your logs...
I'll see what I can do.

Lol, I'm constantly fucking around with folders, file locations, I'm sure I'm doing a bang up job of confusing the hell out of Javluv! I'm a beta tester's wet dream, I can find flaws with shit faster than anybody bc I'm constantly changing things around and trying new shit. I should probably do this for a living! "A fool can ask more questions than a wise man can answer", lol!

Reactions: TmpGuy

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
Hmm, okay. What about if you uninstall JavLuv, then install using the new Setup_JavLuv.msi? Any better luck?

Setup_JavLuv.msi
That procedure has been failing consistently, too. So far only one version has worked for me, that's the one you were surprised worked and you weren't sure why, IIRC.

Ed. Unless that's a new version right there?

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
That procedure has been failing consistently, too. So far only one version has worked for me, that's the one you were surprised worked and you weren't sure why, IIRC.

Ed. Unless that's a new version right there?
According to filejoker, you haven't downloaded that one yet.

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
According to filejoker, you haven't downloaded that one yet.
Ok that install also failed to run. Attached is the error message screenshot. That "YES/NO" screen appears twice, and neither time does it provide any "information" when clicking "YES".

I think you ought to start naming the install/zip packages with their ver and build info, like they do at Github for everything for example. Otherwise ppl will be overwriting their previous install files, and if they get failures, they won't have anything to revert to, unless they have been renaming each file as they go. Adding that info into the install filename would avoid that, plus make bug reporting easier for you, yes? Just a thought.

Attachments

• javluv error - generic fail.png
    javluv error - generic fail.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 61

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I think you ought to start naming the install/zip packages with their ver and build info, like they do at Github for everything for example. Otherwise ppl will be overwriting their previous install files, and if they get failures, they won't have anything to revert to, unless they have been renaming each file as they go. Adding that info into the install filename would avoid that, plus make bug reporting easier for you, yes? Just a thought.

Yep, true. Of course, I'm kind of hoping yours is not exactly a typical experience, having to juggle various versions. For most people, JavLuv has been a lot more stable. Anyhow, I'll probably do something like that when I migrate everything to GitHub, since they've got the tooling to more easily do that.

Not2srius

Jul 5, 2022
I have a suggestion/request. I have attached a pic of a sample page. Please note that it identifies the genres (tags) that are associated with the movie. While I realize I can copy and paste the genre into the search bar, would it be possible/difficult to simply click on a genre to search my collection for others in this genre?

Thanks and I really like the program. Only glitch is having to manually add cover photos when adding new titles.

Attachments

• Screenshot (127).png
    Screenshot (127).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 101

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I have a suggestion/request. I have attached a pic of a sample page. Please note that it identifies the genres (tags) that are associated with the movie. While I realize I can copy and paste the genre into the search bar, would it be possible/difficult to simply click on a genre to search my collection for others in this genre?

Yeah, I'll think about how I could make search items in the metadata clickable, since I still want them to be editable as well. I've gotten a few requests for this sort of feature, and I think it makes some sense for convenience. No promises about a timeline though.

Thanks and I really like the program. Only glitch is having to manually add cover photos when adding new titles.

Give the latest version a try. I completely rewrote the file scanner with an eye towards improving reliability, especially when dealing with multiple movies in the same folder. Hopefully this version does better at reliably finding associated covers.

Not2srius

Jul 5, 2022
Yeah, I'll think about how I could make search items in the metadata clickable, since I still want them to be editable as well. I've gotten a few requests for this sort of feature, and I think it makes some sense for convenience. No promises about a timeline though.

Give the latest version a try. I completely rewrote the file scanner with an eye towards improving reliability, especially when dealing with multiple movies in the same folder. Hopefully this version does better at reliably finding associated covers.
I just added about 25 movies and I noticed that I had much fewer manual cover ads! Good job

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I just added about 25 movies and I noticed that I had much fewer manual cover ads! Good job

Better, but not perfect, huh? Well, that's a start. You're welcome to send me your logs if you want me to try figure out why you're still having covers not show up. Up to you, of course.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I have a request, or perhaps this feature already exists in the app? Could you keep the Japanese description instead of using the translated to English version? Perhaps the sites you gather the info from already has the English translation and you can't get the Japanese titles, but just thought I would ask.

I've just released experimental Japanese language support for JavLuv.

A few things to note:

You can switch to Japanese or English in the Settings menu at any time. When you scan a new movie, it will use the language you currently have selected, as you'd probably expect. If you wish to rescan your movies with the intent of switching languages, please perform the following steps:

• Go to Settings and choose Japanese language
  • In Settings, check Show advanced options
  • In Settings, uncheck Automatically restore metadata from backup
  • Select any movies you wish to update in your browser (Ctrl-A selects all)
  • Right click and select Regenerate metadata
You should now see your movies switched to Japanese titles and metadata. If you want, you can now restore your settings to how they were before (which I'd recommend, as those are safer settings). It's a bit of a convoluted process, but JavLuv normally works to make sure you DON'T blow away your metadata, and this is probably a pretty rare case going forward. JavLuv should default to your native language when you first run it. WARNING: This will also blow away all your user ratings. If you need to figure out how to preserve those (I've put a huge amount of time into rating all my own movies), let me know and maybe we can figure out a solution.

One additional note: in Settings, the five filters for Title, Studio, Label, Genres, and Actresses store data in a per-language section now. That is, when you switch to Japanese, you'll notice all of these fields are initially blank. If you fill them in, it will only be for the current language. I'd also appreciate any feedback on good default filters in Japanese (or additional English filters you think are needed) to help clean up the scraped metadata. You'll notice I've added a LOT of default tag cleanup for English that reduces messiness and redundancy, due to different sites using differently worded tags.

Finally, you'll note that only a few UI items switch to Japanese text at the moment. This isn't a bug, exactly. It's just that I'm not fluent enough to do this myself. I only translated enough to test the features out. If anyone would like to volunteer to help translate the Japanese UI, you can help by filling out the attached resource file (it's just an XML text file).

Current links are on the first post, as always. Enjoy!

Attachments

• StringResources.jp-JP.zip
    2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I posted a small update today. Fixed a crash if you interrupted a scan with another attempted scan due to incorrect text resource name, and made some additional improvements to the new file scanning algorithm to fix a few corner case issues.

I thought I'd also call out a minor new feature I recently added, but hadn't pointed out explicitly. If anyone is interested in sharing movies on akiba-online or elsewhere, I've made it a bit easier to copy and paste a movie's metadata. If you right-click near the metadata displayed on the Movie Details page, you can copy the ID & title, along with all relevant metadata. Here's an example using the movie shown on the first post:

(pasted from clipboard)

[HAVD-990] The After School Kissing Lesbian Series She's Gonna Get Some Lesbian Sex Unexpectedly From Her Student... The New Female Teacher And Her Female Student

ID: HAVD-990
Released: 2019-11-21
Runtime: 150 min
Studio: Hibino
Label: HIBINO
Director: Dr. TORIHAMA
Genres: Female Teacher, Hi-Def, Lesbian, Lesbian Kissing, Schoolgirl
Actresses: Azusa Misaki, Momo Hazuki

Reactions: Moxy

Not2srius

Jul 5, 2022
What is the effect of deleting the local cache? Does it mean all the files must be rescanned?

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Yes, the local cache is what contains the list of all your file locations, a copy of all metadata, and thumbnails of all your images. You can just rescan all your files to regenerate that information. None of your metadata will be lost. You can do the equivalent for selected movies by right-clicking and selecting Rescan files.

You normally shouldn't need to do this, which is why it's hidden under Advanced options. It's handy for me as the developer, since I often delete the cache of my actual collection to test the scanner out on test collections in various configurations to ensure it's working properly. Or, if something gets messed up with your collection, it's kind of a soft "start over" button, although it does leave your settings, log files, and a backup of your metadata intact.

Moxy

JAV Archiever
Dec 22, 2009
I ran into an exception error today on one of my external drives. I'm rebuilding my database first to see if that solves it and if it doesn't then Ill post the logs.
I love the program though. I have 4500 movies in it so far and have a lot more. No noticeable slowdowns really on a i7 9700k@5.2ghz and 32gb ram.

A suggestion. Would it be possible to add a notes section where we can leave manual notes on a movie. I often like to leave my own remarks and that would be super useful if possible.

Thanks TmpGuy. You the best.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I ran into an exception error today on one of my external drives. I'm rebuilding my database first to see if that solves it and if it doesn't then Ill post the logs.
I love the program though. I have 4500 movies in it so far and have a lot more. No noticeable slowdowns really on a i7 9700k@5.2ghz and 32gb ram.

Yeah, let me know if you see it again. You obviously shouldn't be seeing anything like that.

A suggestion. Would it be possible to add a notes section where we can leave manual notes on a movie. I often like to leave my own remarks and that would be super useful if possible.

Simple enough. I used the Kodi "plot" field for this (I'm trying to maintain compatibility), although it's labeled "notes". I just finished adding this, so it will be available in the next release. The field is searchable as well.

Thanks TmpGuy. You the best.
:cambuk:

Reactions: Moxy