JAV actress "Class" definition?

periph

Sep 28, 2012
I've seen the term "S Class" actress used pretty commonly in JAV.

What are all the different classes and how are they defined?

Fisheraaa

Aug 9, 2014
I'm not realy sure but i guess they should be (from top to bottom in this order) S , A , B , C , D

Just speculating :D

Electromog

Akiba Citizen
Dec 7, 2009
I've never seen anything other than s-class mentioned.

galactus

Mar 20, 2007
It's basically as Fisheraaa says.

A, B, C, etc grading is the usual, with S rank being essentially the Japanese equivalent of A+ or perfect. Think of it as the highest quality level of whatever subject it might be. For example you could have a S rank/class/level of Soapland gal. There are a lot of homely ladies that work in that "career", but there are some expensive and very attractive ones. They would be classified as S rank, for example, with commensurate cost for their services.

One could also get an S rank/level/grade in playing a video game or on a test. It's basically the same sort of thing.

There is apparently some older term known as Class S that is not related to what we are talking about here, but if you want to read about that, there is a wiki article about it. It's essentially about female to female relationships that are a phase in a young girls life and doesn't usually turn in to a full lesbian sexual orientation. Perhaps this is similar to all male schools where there might be some male to male sexual interest that doesn't turn the young men in to homosexuals later in life.

kermitfrog

Sep 3, 2008
I think it comes out of the economic bubble era of the late 80s, when Japan was obsessed with finding extra ostentatious luxuries for the "new rich" to frivolously spend their wealth on. Up till then "A class" or "grade A" had been the highest possible, but then they introduced "S class" to be like, "This is even MORE high class and MORE expensive!"

They also had a "black" credit card which was one cut above platinum. According to rumor, if you had a black card you could do things like have stores to open in the middle of the night just by calling your credit card company. Like, if you wanted to buy shoes at 3 AM, you just call the credit card company, give your demand and location, then they would tell you to hang up the phone and wait. A few minutes later, they call you back saying that such and such store at such and such address will be open just for you, so please go there.

periph

Sep 28, 2012
interesting contributions. anybody know why the letter "S" means the best?

in the industry, do girls really have a formal ranking? like do companies plan and budget a movie for "1 s-class girl and 2 A-class girls"? Sometimes it seems that way when they have one really hot girl and the other(s) are not so great. And it's incredible when you have a bunch of top-level girls, like "The Premium VIP 5th Anniversary" (PGD-481; also PGD-286 and PGD-386).