Japan targets illegal downloads with piracy penalties

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
This CCI is american-based, only the media relevant to US interests (MPAA, RIAA stuff mainly) are likely to be targeted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_Copyright_Information

An ideal assumption but an assumption nonetheless. The question there is how they are going to track bittorrent infringement. Considering the lead investigation team is headed by DtecNet. They have used some very dubious and unreliable methods in the past. We have no idea if all they are doing is tracking tracker information or just bittorent activity in general. Anti-P2P services have been known to post honeypot torrents in order to gather IP addresses in the past so I would suggest downloading from only verified sources you know and trust.

I have done some research and the only way to completely protect yourself is with a VPN service. Normal proxies, (and some VPNs'), will not work with DHT and block peer-to-peer traffic. Regular proxies cut you off from the swarm because bittorrent traffic requires a personal "handshake" from computer to computer, (the reason it is called peer to peer), and they do not understand to pass this handshake on, instead they treat the request as erroneous and drop it. So when choosing a VPN make sure they support the bittorent protocol. I know for a fact that BTGuard had problems in this area but I believe that is problem they have finally solved, (the pay service only supports bittorrent I think though).

Of course it is questionable whether VPNs' can actually handle the amount of bittorent traffic that could come their way this month. It is also questionable just what type of punishments are going to be handed out by the ISPs' involved or just how the notifications are going to be handled. Could you get six strikes in one day? It seems concievable but how will the ISPs' handle all the complaints from DtecNet?

I am not a "techie" so please excuse the half-ass explanation and feel free to investigate the matter further on your own.

Here are the links on the six strikes issue from torrentfreak, (I forget if it has been posted or not. There are a lot of unanswered questions here so I guess this is a bit of "wait and see" teritory.

https://torrentfreak.com/att-starts...y-plan-next-month-will-block-websites-121012/

https://torrentfreak.com/isps-and-t...-start-six-strikes-anti-piracy-scheme-120928/

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Again all the issues you mention are related to the piracy of american media, not japanese media.

I don't see these american anti-piracy groups send messages like "stop sharing [SVDVD-113] Ultimate Machine Vibration Torture.avi". I know this is also assumptions, but among the trillions of files being shared, there needs to be priorities.

But I am well placed to know that the Akiba-Online admin receives DMCA-like messages from japanese rights holders, though this is only on an occasional basis (the strongest so far was from Prestige, and honestly I doubt we will ever hear from them again).

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Again all the issues you mention are related to the piracy of american media, not japanese media.

I don't see these american anti-piracy groups send messages like "stop sharing [SVDVD-113] Ultimate Machine Vibration Torture.avi". I know this is also assumptions, but among the trillions of files being shared, there needs to be priorities.

But I am well placed to know that the Akiba-Online admin receives DMCA-like messages from japanese rights holders, though this is only on an occasional basis (the strongest so far was from Prestige, and honestly I doubt we will ever hear from them again).

This is all mostly true.

I would not expect Akiba-Online to see any DMCA takedown requests from DtecNet because of the "Six Strikes Campaign" which major American ISPs' are voluntarily committing to in conjunction with the over-seeing of the CCI, November 28th. Then again, Japanese companies are not paying DtecNet for this service. I also know for a fact that Akiba-Online has gotten take down notices from American companies that have had an invested interest in what has been shared here. Akiba-Online takedown requests are not the issue here though.

What is at issue is that if DtecNet software detects someone downloading, for example: "[SVDVD-113] Ultimate Machine Vibration Torture.avi" via bittorrent are they going to report this as an illegal download to the participating ISP? I think it is a distinct possibilty because now someone is paying DtecNet to monitor potentially any illegal bittorrent activity. This has been a technique used by anti-piracy outfits in Europe, (the orgin of the "Six Strikes campaign"), in the past and I have seen no evidence that the complaints to an ISP have to be limited to MPAA and RIAA concerns. I would like to see proof otherwise and put my own mind at ease.

Again, it depends on what type of tracking software and how accurate it actually is. Just by downloading via bittorrent could put you at risk of an erroneous and false complaint. You could be downloading a JAV file and be accussed of downloading the "Expendables", (perhaps because someone else downloading the same JAV file was also downloading the movie?). The burden of the defense would be with the downloader, if any defense is even allowed or accepted.

So I do not see this affecting Akiba-Online directly nor do I see this affecting bittorrent users outside the US but I do see it as affecting Akiba-Online members who live in the US and a test of bittorrent tracking software in general. I live in the US so I was drawn to comment on this as I myself likely am affected. I did not mean to worry any non-US members as this should not affect them.

MXS-

Jan 6, 2009
I for one am getting really worried as of lately with all these posts about arrests, cci, six strikes and other stuff like that. I am trying to arm myself with knowledge about alternatives, as it feels like the internet is being censored to unimaginable levels. I've also been downloading as much as I can before its all over.

Any other resources? It feels like we all have to go vpn on private sites with encryption and member selectivity, subscription....its gonna be a bit of a learning curve to understand everything and to top it off, we are against some powerful forces.....

I also hope akiba is blocking google indexers or staying out of the spotlight.......

TravelingWind

That Bastard
Jun 27, 2012
Look into freenet and continue downloading and hoarding ANYTHING you might ever want to watch in the future and store them on external harddrives

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
Anonymous is never around when you need them.. haha. J/K

Anyway,

How can they prove you downloaded a file, (a music file for example) if you re tag your files?
When you re tag an audio file, the file is recreated, but not re encoded. This would mean that the checksum of the new output-file would be completely unique from any file in the world, and more impotently unique from the original file on the server. They would have to run a checksum to prove your files match what was downloaded from the reporting tracker.
I'm just wondering if all this is the reason why there have not been more successful investigations.
I suppose re packing a DVD ISO video might also dodge the checksum process, however I don't know if the internal video files or VOB files for example would also need to be re encoded?

Although in this day in age, it seems US courts and govs are doing what ever they want. With the largest US prisons privately owned, it's no wonder why they're looking for opportunity's @ $60,000USD a year per inmate. What I don't understand is, if they're privately owned, why are tax payers required to pay for them? And how the US gov can break up Microsoft.inc, (which was needed) but won't touch Nicor Gas, or ComED who own all the power lines in some places ..and has everyone by the balls.

It's amazing.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
How can they prove you downloaded a file, (a music file for example) if you re tag your files?

Well, the US is not the test site for this type of tracking, it has been done in Ireland and France to name two. DtecNet does the work already for audio files in Ireland, I do not know who is doing the checks in France.

How it works, as far as we know:
First, the company identifies possibly infringing files and these are then downloaded in full to confirm that they’re real. Next, MarkMonitor requests a piece of the file from a file-sharer, after which it records the IP-address and sends a notice to the alleged infringer’s ISP.

Just that simple.

source:
https://torrentfreak.com/six-strikes-bittorrent-crackdown-may-target-private-trackers-121106/

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
In court they would have to prove you "didn't" own the CD, and rip it.

Not so. All they would have to prove is that the files were shared from your IP address. They do not even have to prove that you were the one that shared them, only that you are the personally responsible for the IP address in question. Scary, huh? There have been court battles and plenty of debate over this but basically this is what it boils down to. Most courts accept the argument that if you are the one who pays for the internet service than you are responsible for how it is used.

This is why people cry freenet or VPN or whatever to circumvent what P2P filesharing was not made to do and never will be, share files anonymously. This is not the answer of course, it just leads to another session of "Round Robin". Join the local Pirate Party, (the fastest growing political party in the world!), near you. It may be as futile as using freenet to download files but in the end you will actually be doing something positive about the problem instead of running from it.