Japan Fact Of The... Week

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
I'd do one of the day but I don't want to bother doing that many. So here is today's little tidbit.

Japanese people do not eat sushi often.

The reason for this is due to its price (as it is relatively expensive compared to other more filling foods - at 250 yen per small portion, its expensive to many) but also due to the fact that the fish is more than often from the waters around Japan which have a bad reputation these days for being polluted with mercury amongst other chemicals.

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
Funny, because when you think about Japanese food you instantly think about sushi, like hamburger for America, often consumed.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Hence why I started this thread :)

Ceiling Cat

Oct 25, 2008
Funny, because when you think about Japanese food you instantly think about sushi, like hamburger for America, often consumed.

Yeah, but despite how unhealthy hamburger is for you, there is still an over-whelming population of fat-asses here who continue to consume it on a regular basis. I should know; I work in healthcare. Nothing like getting called at three in the morning to a 350 lb woman who fell in her shower-- and yes, they're usually naked.

You know how everyone in Japan is polite enough to stand on the left of the escalator, so those in a hurry can go up/down the right? That would never work here, the people are just too damn wide...

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
i always thought the most expensive meal for them was bovine meat... damn anime culture!

so it's like when somebody eats Vindaloo and think that people in India are lucky because they eat it every day

scarletsnow

Oct 7, 2007
I like mayo tuna onigiri. I distrust Japanese nori, and Chinese nori even more, because of all the pollution but I can't seem to find Canadian nori locally or nori certified low in heavy metals.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
I heard through the grapevine that the nori used in Sunkus and AM/PM おにぎり is from BC while that used in the 7-11 product is from lower Japan. There are large kelp farms off the coast of Izu quite close to some very nice scuba spots and I know for a fact that a few of the many have the ugly "7 & iHoldings" logo.

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
i always thought the most expensive meal for them was bovine meat... damn anime culture!

so it's like when somebody eats Vindaloo and think that people in India are lucky because they eat it every day

there is a very expensive kind of bovine meat from japan, Kobe Beef?

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Actually most beef is pricey but yes, Kobe beef is very pricey. That said, I find the lowest priced steaks tend to be from New Zealand while following is Australian beef and third is Canadian. You need to look around pretty hard to find beef from the states.

Fuzzypeach

Dec 12, 2009
Living in Japan now and this thread is a keeper. thanks aquamarine!

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
I was really surprised to find how cheap Aussie beef could be! Haven't seen Kiwi beef here yet, though.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
I ge kiwi beef from イトヨカド。
check for it there

ScannerBoy

Nov 19, 2009
Actually most beef is pricey but yes, Kobe beef is very pricey. That said, I find the lowest priced steaks tend to be from New Zealand while following is Australian beef and third is Canadian. You need to look around pretty hard to find beef from the states.

I always liked how their is a huge amount of australian/new zealand beef in Yoshinoya'S rice bowls....until one day I had take-away and weighed it :(

another fact: if a japanese girl tells you she doesnt have time for cinema/karaoke/bar/going-out and tells you to ask her when she has more free time - just delete her number.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
at 250 yen per small portion
Looks like someone needs to get out of the 都会 and go find a スシロー somewhere in the 'burbs. Sure it's not the best sushi you can get, but at ¥105 per 皿 for decent quality, you can get your fill no problem.

But yeah, Japanese don't eat sushi nearly as much as foreigners would like to believe. But given how much great Japanese food isn't sushi, why would anyone stick to sushi alone?

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Akihabara is becoming less unique and is slowly blending in with the rest of Tokyo. In other words, there are fewer Otaku coming here (currently standin on the Akiba platform) and more regular people. Sadly though, more foreigners than ever are appearing. God damnit.

Ceiling Cat

Oct 25, 2008
Sadly though, more foreigners than ever are appearing...

Yeah, and I bet far more of them waddle up to you to 'chat'-- at least the otaku don't do that! Maybe you should do what I do-- keep your headphones in and pretend you can't hear anyone/anything around you...

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
It's funny, but in all the time I've spent in Japan I've probably only spoken to 4 or 5 "foreigners" max!
Where I usually live there are very few non-Japanese. I certainly stood out until folks got used to seeing me around. Of those that do live around there I'm pretty sure I've only ever heard them speaking Japanese!
On the vary rare occasions where I passed by another Caucasian out our way I imagine the surprised look on their face was a mirror image of the look on my own!

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
Akihabara is becoming less unique and is slowly blending in with the rest of Tokyo. In other words, there are fewer Otaku coming here (currently standin on the Akiba platform) and more regular people. Sadly though, more foreigners than ever are appearing. God damnit.

I heard those words from a japanese 2 years ago, Akiba is the otaku meca, where more in Japan they will visit? lol

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Maybe they will stick to ordering from websites? Oh, we can only hope.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Fact of the week:
most Japanese houses do not have basements. As silly as it may, it is often because the cost of digging a basement can add on an extra 60% ontop of the cost of the house.