ISP Blocked trackers

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
Apparently in the light of the TPB events and spectrial the following trackers now report as outed or non responding from one or more UK ISP's.

TPB
stalker
fdns
btcomic
greedline
btally
h3q

and a load more...

if anyone has any good resolutions like using other means of connection it would be nice to know.

I do believe the trackers are not only blocked by name but IP as well since using alternate dns servers does nothing.

(So now, what we read is censored too. Even their blog pages.)

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Obligatory "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU." Although I have more faith in the "proles" ability to turn things around through stupid brute force than Orwell did, and I hope to God I'm right.

If it's IP-based, can you use proxies to circumvent this? Like ... can you go from your UK ISP to a proxy situated in Japan and use the Japanese IP to access the trackers you mentioned?

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
I will see if TOR might do the trick later on.
Seems the trackers may be closing down soon too (many not mentioned above)
Loads of Swedish trackers ar already gone off line since last Friday.

I wish the Swedes had more guts to actually toss their sissy government out for a change.
It's about time they cleaned up that self-serving collection over there.
(ps - I speak from personal experience)

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Gets back to what we ranted about in the TPB Shut Down thread from last week. Basically, the matter is coming to a global conclusion: and since the copyright-pro group is the one with the money and the power and the copyright-con group is a vocal but nerdy, loosely-connected minority which voices its dissent almost exclusively from the safety of the anonymous-yet-ineffective Internet, it's no wonder which side has basically won this fight.

The only question in my mind is, "Will their victory be followed by a solid stamping out of the pirate mentality amongst the subpopulation which I shall identify as 'softcore pirates'? Or will their victory be what ignites a worldwide social cry for copyright revisionism?"

I identify a "hardcore pirate" as someone who pirates because of an ideal he holds true and not purely out of the convenience which piracy affords him. When the potential cons of piracy are outweighed by the potential pros, the softcore pirate quits but the hardcore pirate continues to pirate.

By "copyright revisionism," I simply mean "amending current copyright laws so as to render copyrights less powerful than they currently are." For example, the ever-popular argument that the length of copyright needs to be toned down from 7+ years (in the USA) to something approaching 2 years or even only 1 year, e.g. a person should not be taken to court for downloading music which is over 30 years old, even if the song can still turn a profit for its license holders, because by that point in time the song has most definitely entered the public domain and the original license holder(s) to the song have long since already made the bulk of their profits.

I'm not saying that such copyright revisionism is correct or even practical: I'm merely voicing what I have heard many outspoken anti-copyright folks say online, and am asking myself if such dreams will become realities once we enter a world where not one single nation permits civilians the legal right to either host or track copyrighted materials being distributed via the Internet.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
The APB has been sending letters to every tracker they can find, warning the owners that if they don't shut down before the 29th of april, a police report will be filed. I can certainly understand why the more risk-averse would throw in the towel.

By the way, I think the TPB douchebags should have spread the wealth around by funding legal aid for copyright infringement lawsuit victims. Did they do anything like that? My impression, from speaking with well-connected people, is that they squirreled it all away for themselves. Talk is cheap, I guess... All I know is I sick and tired of hearing people cast anakata and the rest of them as heroes of the piracy movement. That's bullshit.

</rant over>

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
Interestingly with the new law in Sweden called IPRED one of the largest ISP's (TELE2) declared tehy will destroy any and all log files containing data which can be called for in a police report.

The UK government today came out in news saying they would not track communication.
On the other hand they came back with a more ridiculous suggestion using the questionable PHROM services which have been stamped as unconstitutional in the EU parliament.

Just goes to show, not even the industry doing ISP work would like to be a part of these socalled legal actions.

As far I am concerned, when you stick the powers and rights in the hands of private corporations (the copyright pro's) to pursuit anyone as if it was a criminal case, then we could just aswell abolish the police, military and government alltogether and stick it in the hands of private mercenary units.

Lets all go back to the medieval times and take what we want as the governments are powerless to do anything about anything anymore. (Hence its all in the hands of private interest groups now anyway)

In the end, as with all historical events, it's the winner who writes the history books and black-lists the other sides followers.

EDIT: an update to the topic of log files.
Now they are considering how to implement a new law to make it required to keep log files for all ISP's.
Wonder ho wmuch that will cost in storage and hardware.

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
Another thing just struck me...

Apparently according to the court conviction in the TPB trial, the movie industry and music industry earned awards of X million EURO's for losses incurred.

If they take another tracker to court for the same "crime", and win there too, will they be awarded more money for the same losses???

Isn't the world of laws for corporations fantastic.

PS /

What ever you do... don't sneeze when you visit an airport.
They will throw you in jail for contaminating the airspace.

/DS