Isn't this the definition??

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

richlet

Sep 29, 2008
Someone compliains, however incorrectly, about "abuse of power". And the reply is...

"Perceived
abuse of power. The power is ours to use as we see fit."

Isn't that reply exactly the definition of "abuse of power"? "Perception" implies that someone is being fair, but firm. "The power is ours to use as we se fit" implies, "welcome to North Korea/Soviet Union/Nazi Germany, if you even whimper about unfairness you'll face a firing squad, labour camp, or re-education, because I'M THE BOSS."

Just sayin'. If I get banned for this, fine, it'll just prove my point.

richlet

Sep 29, 2008
And FYI, while I haven't contributed much lately, I have in the past, and I think I've been a good member and trader. But this reply in the thread was just beyond stupid. Edit: I have never said anything inflammatory in the past, about rules of posting or how this site is run. But I feel I had to say something about this, because it screamed of silly.

Reactions: Ceewan

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
"Abuse of Power" is something I've really only heard of in politics and the workplace. With politics and government there is absolutely a tangible abuse of power because the government is for the people (sans the places you cited) and that abuse should not be tolerated and put to a stop. In business it can occur when you have a boss that is just that way, but eventually, still, that comes to an end when the boss's boss and even their boss gets in the picture. Again, because there is accountability at some point.

The internet, however, is free of such constraints. We (I'll use that word) have no stake whatsoever in this site. We are members, freeloaders, friends to each other, major or minor contributors, passersby even, but above all GUESTS. The powers that be, however they are perceived (see what I did there?) have no reason at all to sate anyone here. That's just a given. We have the total freedom to be unhappy with any of it at any time and just choose not to come back. But, if we like it here, like I do? Hey...I'm perfectly fine with forgetting whatever it was so I can keep playing. I don't make the rules. And if the rules change here and there or get enhanced or modified to fit any situation no matter how it may make me feel, I roll with it, because it just doesn't matter. It's the internet. There is no "judge" of fairness, there is only the way it is and the way it's going to be.

Last edited:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Someone compliains, however incorrectly, about "abuse of power". And the reply is...

"Perceived
abuse of power. The power is ours to use as we see fit."

Isn't that reply exactly the definition of "abuse of power"? "Perception" implies that someone is being fair, but firm. "The power is ours to use as we se fit" implies, "welcome to North Korea/Soviet Union/Nazi Germany, if you even whimper about unfairness you'll face a firing squad, labour camp, or re-education, because I'M THE BOSS."

Just sayin'. If I get banned for this, fine, it'll just prove my point.

I understand where you are coming from. I was actually the brunt of that argument from....wait for it (drumroll please)....none other than Chompy, the owner of this site. When I was a mod here, (way back when), I was told I was being too heavy-handed and that was not the type of moderator that he (Chompy) wanted me to be. But what is more important was my reply (just before I retired as moderator here): I told Chompy that "in order to keep this an orderly forum that everyone could enjoy sometimes a heavy-hand was not only neccesary but preferable".

A lot of things have changed since I stopped being moderator. The attitude of some of the staff has changed. They have become harder and less tolerant, less open to new ideas or ideas that conflict with theirs (well, maybe that part hasn't changed much at all). However, all-in-all, I would have to say it has been a positive change. Moderators are not here to be your friends. They are not here to collect votes on what the members want or do not want. That is not their purpose. You cannot take the definition of the word moderator and make that apply here. They are not "mediators" they are "overseers". Here they are judge, jury and executioners. There is no fair trial by peers, no appealate court, no lawyers, no labor unions, there is just the "Staff". If it was not for them it would be total anarchy here and no one would visit except spammers and spambots. It is their job to interpet, form and reform the rules, and keep order in whatever manner that they believe benefits this forum the most.

We (I'll use that word) have not stake whatsoever in this site. We are members, freeloaders, friends to each other, major or minor contributors, passersby even, but above all GUESTS. The powers that be, however they are perceived (see what I did there?) have no reason at all to sate anyone here. That's just a given. We have the total freedom to be unhappy with any of it at any time and just choose not to come back.

I actually think you are missing his point, which I did not. We do have a 'stake" in this forum and are not just guests (though I believe I may have said something along those lines myself before). "We" are members. We are, collectively, the forum. The moderators do have a reason to sate the membership as a whole. If there are no members there is no forum so of course the moderators take the members into consideration....as a whole. Individually however, we are merely part of that collective. It is important that this distinction is understood. If a few members don't like something or the way something is done well.....sometimes that is just tough. If enough members do not like the way something is done than there is a very good chance that changes will be made to accomodate them. It is the forum as a whole here that is taken into consideration (or at least that is how it should be). There is only one person who overrules all considerations and that is the board owner himself (chompy). He owns this place and he can do what he damn well pleases with it.

And keep in mind that the moderators here are not going to be perfect. They have the right to be wrong just as much as any of us. They are only human after all and they do this "job" in their spare time because they care about this forum. So sometimes they piss me off and maybe sometimes they will piss you off as well. That is just something we have to get over and move on from.

Last edited:

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
I agree, Ceewan. I've always been a company man, if you know what I mean. Not that I bow to any and all, but I keep on keeping on when things happen. Thanks for your reply, I liked it.

Reactions: Ceewan