Is .MP4 the new standard format for JAV now?

qwerty07

Mar 3, 2010
And how do people feel about that?

To me, it really doesn't matter as long as there is an SD version of the movie around 1-1.5 GB. I really dislike downloading anything huge because of my limited bandwidth and download speed.

I just hope MP4 runs well on non-VLC players because AVI seems like a very flexible format.

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
I'm with you, I'll take what I can get, but MP4 titles lately seem a little too compressed and smudgy and blurry during some scenes. But beggars can't be choosers. I'd rather have WMV personally...but in an MP4 container they can have AVI or H.264 video streams. Maybe the encodes don't take as long? I would think the scene groups want to be the first to post a title, so maybe the rush to beat the others has something to do with it? Quantity vs. Quality.

Of course...that's probably a wild and unfair suggestion. I really don't know how the scene works but I am damn grateful for it.

And you don't need VLC you can use MPC to play MP4s. I use it for MP4 and MKV playback.

Flammz

Jun 2, 2012
Both Avi and Mp4 can have H264, MP4 just generally comes compressed with H264 while avi generally uses xvid or the older divx.
If there's an avi file of 900MB and one of 1400MB of the same title, the 900 one will be using H264 compression, following that reasoning H264 looks better at lower bitrates-
but that's why I often still prefer the larger xvid file, because it looks better at the higher bitrate still while the smaller file looks a little smudgy/blurry. This is subjective of course.

There's no denying H264 looks amazing at high bitrates, but as Casshern says, most files that come at high bitrate are WMV's so those might be preferred.

So in general: high bitrate H264 > high bitrate WMV > medium bitrate H264 ~= medium bitrate WMV ~= high bitrate xvid > low bitrate H264 > low bitrate xvid

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
Great breakdown! :study:

Both Avi and Mp4 can have H264, MP4 just generally comes compressed with H264 while avi generally uses xvid or the older divx.
If there's an avi file of 900MB and one of 1400MB of the same title, the 900 one will be using H264 compression, following that reasoning H264 looks better at lower bitrates-
but that's why I often still prefer the larger xvid file, because it looks better at the higher bitrate still while the smaller file looks a little smudgy/blurry. This is subjective of course.

There's no denying H264 looks amazing at high bitrates, but as Casshern says, most files that come at high bitrate are WMV's so those might be preferred.

So in general: high bitrate H264 > high bitrate WMV > medium bitrate H264 ~= medium bitrate WMV ~= high bitrate xvid > low bitrate H264 > low bitrate xvid

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
MPC is my go-to for everything non-WMV locally. I do use VLC to stream WMV because it can forward into a video better than other players. At least on my box.

I use MPC too. Is MP4 better with MPC or VLC?

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
MP4 has nothing to do with the encoding format, it's only a container (something that can handle several audio/video/subtitles fluxes and mix them together). Encoding formats which are widely used these days are H264, XVID, WMV (which has the same name as the container format). WMV is streaming-compatible so it is often found on official websites.