Is it the JAV star or the Director?

VideoMeister

Apr 1, 2022
Director plays a HUGE role in producing good AV movies, just like in regular movies. Sometimes, even the actresses looked different with different directors. Just by observing Minami Aizawa alone, we can see differences in her looks under different directors already.
For eg. IPX-697/IPX-819 (Inaburl) vs IPX-714 vs IPX-873(肉尊) vs IPX-666(まえだのかほり) vs IPX-750(ドラゴン西川).. Next month's IPX-889 (前田文豪) she looked different again, as seen from official trailer.

My favorite director list are:

1. Inaburl イナバール. He is the one that does the beautiful Idea Pocket's "Fruit of Abstinence" series like IPX-697, IPX-722, IPX-743, etc. Just last year, he did 6 movies with Minami Aizawa and every single one was beautiful. This year, he had 3 movies with her already. I marked him as a screen play magician and I believe he knows how to use lighting, angles, framing and even music to capture the best of every moment. A fantastically skillful director + Minami Aizawa's acting skill, they are a match made in heaven. Some titles: IPX-543, IPX-588 from 2020; IPX-620, IPX-649, IPX-680, IPX-697, IPX-732, IPX-784 from 2021; IPX-801, IPX-819, IPX-857 from 2022.

2. ドラゴン西川. His director skill is very good with his great story telling elements. Too bad he only works with Minami Aizawa only once last year in the fabulous IPX-750 available in 4k resolution. Go watch it. Minami is so beautiful and different in that movie. She is so.. Cute.

3. まえだのかほり Kaoru Before. A very strange name for a director, but he is a legend. His story telling elements, lighting control and good screenplay captures the mood very well. Watch IPX-666, my voted best movie for the year 2021, and see how he made this long time favorite series even MORE enjoyable with Minami Aizawa's superb acting and beauty.

肉尊, though not in my favorite list, is the one that does the recent IPX-873 with Minami Aizawa. This Hentai boss series done by him and how he did Minami's version is so different and beautiful compared to others, that I began to wonder if the actress actually plays a role in determining the script.
If we go back to watch the Hentai boss series with other actresses like IPX-770, IPX-847 and IPX-625, we will see that Minami's version is more straight to the point without long nonsense scenes from the previous movies in the series.
But one thing I don't like about his (肉尊)movies is that he uses a lot of "cuts" in a scene to tell the story, resulting sometimes in irregularities between cuts. For eg. with IPX-873 second scene where Minami was "invited" into the pantry, standing beside the fridge watching in awe as her boss was talking to her.. but on the next cut, she was seen standing slightly in front of the fridge with a slightly different hand position. This happens in a lot of other places, to the point I really get pissed off by him.

Reactions: hiten

Taako

Akiba Citizen
May 25, 2017
I think directors are not only the components. Too much focus on them and that leaves out the actress/actors/ scriptwriters, and production.

Me personally as I said before see good/bad results from both good and bad directors. Some are consistent, others are not. That's why I don't go for any.

Only credit I give a good director is letting things be organic. Meaning, let certain scenes flow naturally. Actress/actors should be told to say "kimochi or sugoi" because it's written down. And certainly it doesn't need to be said multiple times :confused:

A good director controls his scenes. Too much incoherent talking and long, drawn out scenes that leads nowhere.
A good director cuts the fat when necessary. I know it might not be studio interference or not, I can't say 100% BUT the over padding of JAV movies/videos have gotten out of hand.

Do movies need to be 2 and a half hours/ 3 hours??? In rare cases yes. In lot of the cases, NO!
Why are these movies with little substance going 2 hours and longer? For sales? Most likely. The longer the movie, the more you pay.
A well known director or what ever will trimmed the fat.

***Rant Time :rolleyes:*** I miss the days of JAV where not all movies needed 2 and half hours to tell a good or bad story. It's silly.
I'm subbing GG-016 with Momoka Nishina(one of my faves) and its only 2 hours and 6 minutes. That's fine.
Any movie/video going over 2 and half hours and it's not a retirement video, compilation, or idol video needs to be trimmed. Ridiculous.
***End Rant :p ***

So yeah directors play an important role, but I feel it comes down to all of them, directors, actress, scripts.