Is it still Gyudon if you use ground beef instead of sliced beef?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
Is it still Gyudon(japanese beef bowl) if you use ground beef instead of sliced beef?
I tried this recipe using ground beef instead of sliced beef and I even used sliced left over steak and sometimes used dry sherry if I couldn't get some saki. The basic recipe I see floating around on the net is dashi, mirin, soy sauce, sugar, onions, sliced beef, saki, rice and some pickled red ginger.http://www.bigoven.com/158344-Gyudon-(japanese-Beef-Bowl)-recipe.html

SUSUMU

Jan 12, 2009
So far I know is the whole point sliced. Using ground beef may result in a similar taste, but your mouth, your teeth, your tongue will miss the typical effect sliced beef does show.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
The short answer is no. My wife once bought a very nice fatty ground beef and poured it on the rice and a little bit of sliced scallions. It was wonderful although I usualy refrain from eating raw beef. She absolutely loves it. I can't tell you what it would eb called now but I'll be happy to ask her if you like. Also I believe you're referring to the Japanese rice wine sakewhen you type saki.
desioner

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
The short answer is no. My wife once bought a very nice fatty ground beef and poured it on the rice and a little bit of sliced scallions. It was wonderful although I usualy refrain from eating raw beef. She absolutely loves it. I can't tell you what it would eb called now but I'll be happy to ask her if you like.

Your supposed to eat the stuff raw? All the recipes I seen for Gyudon the meat is cooked in the sauce although with ground beef I usually precook it in a pan first, I am using steak I cook it in the sauce.

Also I believe you're referring to the Japanese rice wine sakewhen you type saki.
desioner
Yeah I misspelled it.

This is what I used in it. Although I think next time I will try not to be a cheapskate and buy a higher quality sake.

draftsake.gif