Is it possible to unrar files if one file is missing?

outdoorlife

Senior Citizen
Sep 16, 2008
Hi all. I've downloaded 16 out of 17 .rar files, but unable to obtain one of them because the link was bad. When trying to unrar the files, I get a CRC error because of that missing file.
Is there a program out there that can join the existing .rar files and skip the missing one so I can see the video?
Any help appreciated.

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
If using WinRAR try checking the "keep broken files" box.

vagoo

Feb 22, 2009
Yea it's partly possible. Ofcourse the video file wont be working properly. Checking "Keep broken files" as Rhinosaur say should work. Or since the file gets unpacked you will find the file in the location you choose, you just have to copy it to another locations sicne WinRAR will remove the corrupt file.

inVader

Dec 11, 2008
Hi all. I've downloaded 16 out of 17 .rar files, but unable to obtain one of them because the link was bad. When trying to unrar the files, I get a CRC error because of that missing file.
Is there a program out there that can join the existing .rar files and skip the missing one so I can see the video?
Any help appreciated.

Appears you are using a conveniant OS like Linux or Mac if you are talking about 'unrar'? So these WinRar-advices might not be too useful...

Of course there is an option for keeping broken file in 'unrar', too. The corresponding switch is '-kb'. If you are using that stupid 'unrarX' on Mac, I don't know how to set it and at my girlfriends computer, I never managed to start it from the command line which is so annoying. I'm using good 'ol command-line-based unrar on my Linux-machine. Extracting then is:

Code:
unrar e -kb <filename>

For watching, 'mplayer' is VERY forgiving when it comes to broken file and if he cannot play something, it almost certainly is no video file anyway ;). You might even be able to use it's 'mencoder' to rebuild a fully working video file you can play anywhere.

outdoorlife

Senior Citizen
Sep 16, 2008
Thank you for all your suggestions. I've managed to retrieve the incomplete .avi file but unable to play it.
I've tried two video fix programs like DivX fix, but they won't even recognize the file to begin the fix.
I want to be able to play it on any .avi player and later save it onto a DVD.
Know of any good video fixes?

inVader

Dec 11, 2008
Thank you for all your suggestions. I've managed to retrieve the incomplete .avi file but unable to play it.
I've tried two video fix programs like DivX fix, but they won't even recognize the file to begin the fix.
I want to be able to play it on any .avi player and later save it onto a DVD.
Know of any good video fixes?

Have you tried 'mplayer' to play it? If he can't, you'll likely have no chance to get it done. If he can, you should be able to fix it with 'mencoder'. Give me links to your files and I might try it if it's something intresting.

outdoorlife

Senior Citizen
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks inVader. I was able to play it on MPlayer.
Unfortunately, the movie wasn't good.
Lucky thing I was able to watch part of it and decide.