Imagining the Tenth Dimension

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
Part 1
[youtube]JkxieS-6WuA[/youtube]

Part 2
[youtube]ySBaYMESb8o[/youtube]

This is interesting stuff.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Good videos. Though I always thought string theory presented 11 dimensions.
Also, the concept of a finite infinity baffles me (multiple versions of infinity doesn't make much sense to my feeble mind) in the sense that multiple versions of the concept of infinite blah...
but to be fair, unless the universe itself is infinite (and it isn't as far as string theory goes...at least not this universe) then what passes for infinity in terms of...say....every possible relative position in space and time of every particule in the universe...well that's still finite in a universe with a finite size and lifespan (measured in billions as opposed to trillions of years right?)

i should read more physics textbooks. maybe i'd make me smarterer.

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
Simply put, I think it's infinity + infinity = multiple infinities
I don't think they meant finite infinity, just separate.
If you think about it in simple terms, like just dots, multiple infinities isn't an impossible concept.
Kind of how linear time branches off into infinite different possibilities, each no less real than the other.
Actually, I think it's exactly the same..
Or is the brached timeline all within our own infinity, or is each brach a new infinity on its own?
If not, then the other infinities must be a completely different universe, with its own branched timeline.
Kind of interesting to think about it..

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
By finite infinities I meant that in a true infinity, everything would be represented. If there can be multiple representations of infinity, that infinity isn't infinity. At least not the infinity I know, which encompasses everything.

I can't conceptualise the difference between 31 cats and 32 cats. Beyond around 10 cats, it loses all significance for me. Maybe I'm not cut out to be a string theorist, dealing with multiple versions of something that represents all there ever was, is and could be.

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
Think of each infinity to be unending and, ans its name suggests, infinite.
So even if they are separate, they are all infinity within infinity, though separate.
Think of them like parallel universes (infinities) within the same dimension.
I guess you could say that all those separate infinities are infinity itself.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
I guess you could say that all those separate infinities are infinity itself.
Uhm...but then they're not separate. I mean...if within all those infinites lies...and they are therefore self-representative....and....but...:trance:

Never mind.

I believe in creationism anyway.

Denamic

Swedish Meat
Staff member
Super Moderator
Former Staff
Dec 7, 2006
The hell you do.
You're just running away.
Separate infinities within infinity as in a timeline branched in two is separate, but still the same timeline.
Okay, I have to stop thinking about this now. My head is overloading.