How to perform HQ IVTC?

loveIdols

Nov 7, 2007
I know how to do it using DGIndex or AVISynth (Decomb() or DoubleWeave(), etc).

What I would like is to do it using mvbobmod or some other high-quality deinterlacer script so I get less motion blur on processed areas. Is that possible and if so, how?

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Post a short unprocessed clip of your source material (10MB should be enough).

loveIdols

Nov 7, 2007
Source material is 4GB .VOB from an NTSC DVD. How do I extract and save a part of it?

Here is what MediaInfo says about the VOB:
Code:
Video
ID                               : 224 (0xE0)
Format                           : MPEG Video
Format version                   : Version 2
Format profile                   : Main@Main
Format settings, Matrix          : Default
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 9 800 Kbps
Width                            : 720 pixels
Height                           : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16/9
Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
Standard                         : NTSC
Colorimetry                      : 4:2:0
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.946

I have already tried DGIndex "Force Film", and it looks fine (also DoubleWeave().Pulldown(1,3) works), but I am wondering if it would be possible to gain some extra quality by merging fields using some HQ deinterlacer script?

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
How do I extract and save a part of it?
Use the [ and ] selection buttons in DGIndex to mark off a section where the problem is clearly visible, set it to Honor Pulldown Flags, and then File > Save Project and Demux Video.

loveIdols

Nov 7, 2007
Use the [ and ] selection buttons in DGIndex to mark off a section where the problem is clearly visible, set it to Honor Pulldown Flags, and then File > Save Project and Demux Video.

Just to clarify, you want only the resulting .m2v?

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Yep.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Okay, that DVD has soft pulldown flags. Your best option is using Forced Film in DGIndex. It will simply return the 23.976fps progressive video stream that is already present.

loveIdols

Nov 7, 2007
Ok, I understand, but is there any way to reduce motion smearing?

I was thinking of some modified HQ deniterlacer script which would work on DoubleWeave() output from AVISynth and to which I could specify which fields to combine like you do with Pulldown() (in this particular case 1, 3 works). What do you think?

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
The motion smearing in the clip you provided is caused by slow shutter. It's the way the movie was filmed and there's no way to remove it.

If you're talking about something else, please provide a screenshot.

loveIdols

Nov 7, 2007
The motion smearing in the clip you provided is caused by slow shutter. It's the way the movie was filmed and there's no way to remove it.

If you're talking about something else, please provide a screenshot.

Try looking at frames 450, 451, 452 in that clip. I guess it is the slow shutter as you say, but was wondering if the motion could be made more detailed by analyzing neighbouring fields just like with deinterlace.

If there is nothing that can be done to make the motion smoother and the picture sharper/more detailed then I will use Force Film.

I only can't remember for the life of me how to make audio stay in sync.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Try looking at frames 450, 451, 452 in that clip.
Your 23.976fps clip has 396 frames. There's no reason to be inspecting and analysing the video after pulldown.

was wondering if the motion could be made more detailed by analyzing neighbouring fields just like with deinterlace.
I think you're confused. Your video is already progressive. Any kind of motion analysis of progressive fields, which do not have a temporal dimension, is meaningless.

loveIdols

Nov 7, 2007
Ok, just checked, audio is in sync. I had some trouble with another movie so I presumed I will have with this one too.

As for motion, never mind, going to encode it now.