How do you play HD videos?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Muz1234

Nov 6, 2013
For example, 1920 x 1080 resolution. It sometimes play stuck a bit, or cannot play at all.

Reactions: Ceewan

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
checking to see if your graphics card can handle HD

Reactions: Ceewan

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Another point is maybe your processor if your machine is an old one.
Do you play it from a NAS or USB drive? Sometimes that is too slow and you should copy such movies to your local drive.
SSD shouldn't be needed, a HDD should be alright.

Reactions: CoolKevin

Muz1234

Nov 6, 2013
Is it graphic cards or processor? Mine is old specs, 2 GHz, NVIDIA Geforce 8400M GS. I play it from hard drive usually. Or should I just convert the movie lower resolution, since the movie is only 6 minutes.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I never had any problems playing video because of my graphic card. Also all the people I know. But CPU is crucial. At least for HD movies. That's why some e.g. Intel Atom can't play HD movies.

Reactions: CoolKevin

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
basically just check the spec's on the pc first

Reactions: WillEater

Elldallan

Jan 19, 2013
Funny, I thought it was the other way around. Sure sounds like it would be the GPU....

http://www.techhive.com/article/140985/article.html
Well, if you play raw from a bluray or something it'll probably decode off most modern GPU's, if you play it from a file that depends on what video codec the movie is encoded in(I think h.264 is supported by most but probably not x.264(compressed h.264)) the GPU supports decoding.
Another thing worth noting is that 10bit which is becoming a big thing(or well it has been for a while now) within Anime fansubbing is virtually unsopported on anything but high end video industry graphic cards(which costs a whole lot more than your average gaming graphics card) so if it's encoded in 10bit your GPU will be of no use at all.

Another explanation for your issue could possibly be due to disc overloading, HD content has a fairly high bitrate so if you're doing anything else in the background(such as torrents etc.) that could cause your disc to become overloaded and when you run out of buffered video it'll start to stutter.

Little Chucky

Hi, I'm Chucky, Wanna Play?
Aug 28, 2013
Well, if you play raw from a bluray or something.

his specs are definitely not enough for a raw Blu-ray

Muz1234
if you want to check if your cpu is sufficient play the video and make sure you have task manager running
while the video is running check in task manager if your video player software is reaching 100% cpu
if so your cpu is to slow but i suspect it is your video card because that's a pretty old video card

are we talking about a pc or a laptop?

troesmam

Jun 10, 2012
To render videos I would say the most important part is your GPU (Graphics Card). Try using KMPlayer and try all their video renderers, check if one of them suit your needs.

armnboi

Jan 8, 2015
i am using I7 with win7 64 bit + k-lite play back 1080P 20-30pixel is ok. 2046P 50m pixel will slow motion

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
get a rock and throw it at the pc

Reactions: _2old_ and desioner

teetsheeps

Jun 30, 2019
So what should I do, to play HD videos?

What is your machine's specs?

My laptop is quite outdated by today's standard - i7 2xxxQM, GT 540M, 6GB RAM.
But I notice that only when memory is low, HD video playback will be stuttered or even stuck.