Hey China, Thanks For The Smog...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arashi

Jan 28, 2008
This is Japan's karma for all the atrocities committed during the Japanese territorial expansion era.

An official apology from Japan to the people of China, Korea and other south east asian countries is long overdue.

If you think it is karma and Japan must apologize for things that happened more than half a century ago, then England, France, Belgium and every European country who tried to enslave and/or exterminate the "lesser races", must suffer and apologize for all the misery they caused to the rest of the World.:study:

goldenboy136

Jul 27, 2008
^ They have. Westerners like to admit to past mistakes and apologize to save face.

But Japanese just like Chinese will lie about past (and current) mistakes and not apologize to save face.

Must be an Asian thing.

Anyways I know I'm just talking a lot of rubbish. I was just offended by the presentation of the article. Not only is most of that dust cloud from a sand storm in the gobi desert (a natural occurence, so sorry) but the pollution in China goes a lot deeper than just corruption and graft and lack of concern for the environment. Foreign companies that outsource to China demand cheaper and cheaper production prices every year and threaten to pull production out of China to other, even more messed up and unregulated countries if they can't keep prices down. Then we turn around and point the finger all while enjoying our nicely priced made-in-China products. Nobody ever seems to hold large companies, that keep production in China despite the lack of environmental regulations, to account. That would require taking some personal responsibility.

Do you own any products produced in China? If so, some of that filth belongs to you too!

Toyota has a huge factory in China not far from where I live. It belches out smoke all the time. But yes yes it's all China's fault.....right.

In other news from the high-horse: Hey Japan! Can you guys like..stop killing whales already? Your whaling industry is a non-money maker as it is, hardly any of you eat the stuff anymore and it is heavily subsidized by your government! But right...to stop would mean accepting western criticisms as true and I hear that kind of shame makes you eviscerate yourselves...

dustziggy

Dec 6, 2008
The rapid industrialization of China's 1.3 billion people and the accompanying need for electricity is the main culprit. It's laughable that we will blame China for its pollution, the reality is we buy and use products made in Chinese factories that are often owned or invested into by businesses from countries such as the U.S, Japan and Korea. You can have cheap good's with accompanying low taxes, low salaries and low investment into clean energy or you can have 'fair priced' goods with all the benefit it brings to everyone. I think we all know what global business will choose. Unfortunately for Japan's people, the huge factory next door only seems to be getting bigger each year as China's living standards rightfully climb up to where most of us reading this are sitting.
:study:

lololno

Oct 28, 2009
Karma was the Tokyo earthquake lmao.

You wanna talk about europe? At least GERMANY owns up to their war crimes. Japan has no honor.

cattz

(◣_◢)
Jun 11, 2007
China the land of green/red rivers, medicine/products made from garbage, and more pollution then actual air.

:murder:

shadowhacker27

Jul 22, 2009
:study:Call me conspiracy theorist, but I consider that a biological weapon test. If Americans can control the weather with H.A.A.R.P, don't you think the Chinese are already into also?

I apologize if that's too much Real World for some of you.:scared:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Do you own any products produced in China? If so, some of that filth belongs to you too!

So I am partly responsible? I buy something cheap because I am too poor to afford something nice and I am responsible? I am responsible for the environmental policies of China because I buy from Wal-Mart?

Don't blame me for your countries mistakes. I got nothing against the Chinese but your government is one of the few in the world that is more fucked up than mine. How about taking some personal responsibility and try making your China a better place and stop making excuses for it. You will feel better about yourself.

kmc

Jan 10, 2008
At risk of ruining your "Hate-China" circle jerk, I'm gonna repeat what another poster said here earlier.

Much of what you see is yellow dust or sand, not smog or pollution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Dust

Some of the dust particles carry pollutants, but what you see is not actually pollution. There's not much China can do about the actual dust, and as for the pollutants within the dust, there's not much to be done about that either, unless you stop buying the computers, cars and dildos that they make.

Don't get me wrong -- China's a shithole and I hate it as much as the next guy (don't know why I still live here), but if you want to hate on them, hate on them for the right reasons.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
At risk of ruining your "Hate-China" circle jerk, I'm gonna repeat what another poster said here earlier.

Much of what you see is yellow dust or sand, not smog or pollution.

SoDon't get me wrong -- China's a shithole and I hate it as much as the next guy (don't know why I still live here), but if you want to hate on them, hate on them for the right reasons.

Personally I do not "hate" China nor, as I have said, its' people. I do not like the Chinese government and its' repressive and suppressive policies. Nor do I like its' environmental policies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollution_in_China

According to the World Bank in 2007, 16 of the world's 20 most polluted cities are in China

In 1997, the World Bank issued a report by Susmita et al. targeting China's policy towards industrial pollution. The report stated that "hundreds of thousands of premature deaths and incidents of serious respiratory illness [have been] caused by exposure to industrial air pollution. Seriously contaminated by industrial discharges, many of China's waterways are largely unfit for direct human use"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_Dust

Sulfur (an acid rain component), soot, ash, carbon monoxide, and other toxic pollutants including heavy metals (such as mercury, cadmium, chromium, arsenic, lead, zinc, copper) and other carcinogens, often accompany the dust storms, as well as viruses, bacteria, fungi, pesticides, antibiotics, asbestos, herbicides, plastic ingredients, combustion products as well as hormone mimicking phthalates. Though scientists have known that intercontinental dust plumes can ferry bacteria and viruses, "most people had assumed that the [sun's] ultraviolet light would sterilize these clouds," says microbiologist Dale W. Griffin, also with the USGS in St. Petersburg. "We now find that isn't true.

China has had plenty of examples of the effects of poor environmental policies in the history of other nations that steps easily could have been put in place to reduce pollution given their rather belated industrial growth. This would have slowed down Chinas' production however and raised its' cost. The Chinese government sacrificed the health and welfare of its' people, its' rivers and its' land for the political and financial gains of being able to ship cheaper goods to foreign nations. To the present Chinese government its' people are an expendable commodity and this is not due to change anytime soon.

Rooftops of Beijing's Forbidden City, obscured by thick smog, in Beijing, China, on January 16, 2013.
s_c01_59565822.jpg

A bright video screen shows images of blue sky on Tiananmen Square during a time of dangerous levels of air pollution, on January 23, 2013 in Beijing.
s_c09_59915304.jpg

A woman wearing a mask crosses a road during severe pollution in Beijing, Jan. 12, 2013

Beijing_159338871_620x350.jpg

Cans of fresh air are seen piled up before being given away by Chinese multimillionaire Chen Guangbiao, near a street on a hazy day in central Beijing, on January 30, 2013. China's recent streak of foul air has rekindled a tongue-in-cheek campaign by a Chinese multimillionaire with a streak of showmanship who is raising the alarm by selling canned fresh air. Chen Guangbiao, who made his fortune in the recycling business and is a high-profile philanthropist, on Wednesday handed out soda pop-sized cans of air, purportedly from far-flung and pristine regions of China, from Xinjiang in the far northwest to Taiwan off China's southeast coast.

s_c30_RTR3D57X.jpg

More than 500 million Chinese people use water contaminated by industrial waste as their primary resource. The negative health results are clear in the huge number of gastrointestinal cancer deaths in industrial regions. Almost all national lakes and rivers are polluted to a certain extent. According to a Chinese government report, 70 percent of rivers, lakes and waterways are seriously polluted and some without fish, and around 80 percent of the water from rivers is not fit for human consumption. Most common water pollution source is industrial waste, chemical fertilizers or raw sewage.
Pollution+in+China+water.jpg

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Yep Goldenboy, 'your' China sure is a nice place isn't it?

goldenboy136

Jul 27, 2008
Also in China:

China007.jpg

w9v91z.jpg

71A55E98C7A8.jpg

But yeah okay... China evil, China bad, China dirty, anything you want to keep up your hate.

li_river_guilin.jpg

Many of these places I've see with my own eyes. Have you ever seen any part of China with your own eyes?

I have lived in both China and Japan. I prefer China. It is a much larger, richer and more interesting. The people treat foreigners better too.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
But yeah okay... China evil, China bad, China dirty, anything you want to keep up your hate.

I really wish you would specify who you are referring to. If you are fishing for compliments for China there are plenty to be had but to ignore or deny the wrong doings of the current government is just being blind and stupid.

China has a long and rich history and a diverse and beautiful countryside, (in non-industrial areas at least). The Chinese people have suffered and overcome adversity after adversity and endured them all. They endure now.

China has never had a strong government that properly supports the welfare of its' people. I believe given the chance that would change. I saw a picture of a Chinese gentleman standing up against a tank in the streets. He looked like he was scolding the tank and those inside it. That takes heart.

The Chinese government fears its' own people and they should. One day the soldiers will refuse to shoot their brothers and sisters and then....and only then, China will have a chance at freedom. This is why religion was outlawed and now is barely tolerated and closely monitored in China. This is why freedom of speech is denied to their citizens and criticizing government policies is a jailable offense. Fear breeds hate and resentment. One day things will change. Until then the Chinese people will have to endure the needless deaths and the wasting and spoiling of their land that is caused by those that are given the trust to govern them.

Don't misunderstand me. I feel for the Chinese people. One of my kids lives in China. I wish nothing but good things for the Chinese people and I abhor the horrors that they face and endure every day. I can't imagine living under the conditions they do, under that type of oppression. I couldn't do it.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Nice photoshopped HDR images you used there. Why not show us what it looks like WITHOUT atropic filtering, HDR rendering and the haze reduction plugin. Actually, how about you show us -YOUR- photos instead, that'd be a good start.

cattz

(◣_◢)
Jun 11, 2007
Nice photoshopped HDR images you used there. Why not show us what it looks like WITHOUT atropic filtering, HDR rendering and the haze reduction plugin. Actually, how about you show us -YOUR- photos instead, that'd be a good start.

Hah, yeah, I saw those pictures and started laughing out loud before scrolling down about to post the same type of comment, lol.

billronald

Jan 6, 2009
Many of these places I've see with my own eyes. Have you ever seen any part of China with your own eyes?

You just went to the tourist traps. A few natural reserves shown to the world won't hide the ugly reality of the environmental devastation happening in the country.

My family came from China. My father went back for a visit several years ago and saw his farming village turn from a pristine, forested rural paradise into a barren industrial shit hole. There's no fish in the lakes and rivers anymore. The water there is completely pitch black. A few times during the week, there would be heavy smog coming from the factories, carried by the wind, and my uncle who lives in the village would have to shutter the windows in an attempt to mitigate the effects. In my mom's hometown, the village leader accepted a bribe from a inscrupulous company and let the whole wilderness area near the town get deforested. So much corruption and apathy. So many people just don't care.

The first step in solving a problem is to acknowledge it, not hiding trying to hide it behind a wall of pride and pretending the problem doesn't exist.

goldenboy136

Jul 27, 2008
I feel I'm drifting away from my original point.

Greed is what is causing this. And not just Chinese greed. Greed from more developed countries looking for a place to get their crap made.

It's a shit situation all around but pointing the finger at the Chinese will never be productive. What would be more productive would be speaking with your wallet. Don't buy stuff produced in China. Speak out against outsourcing of labor. Petition your government not to do business with a country that flaunts environmental laws and standards.

Many environmental laws exist on paper in China. It's not legal for a factory to dump chemicals into a river. The factories are all bound by law to use carbon capture equipment but all one guy has to do to get away with it is grease a few palms. The central government in Beijing has no way of controlling such a huge, chaotic, populated country. You talk about it like it's the government just not caring. They do care, there just isn't much they can do. People are often executed here for taking bribes leading to environmental destruction but the destruction still happens. There are 1.4 billion people here so something's gotta give.

I'm Canadian in case anyone cares and I've lived in China for about 6 years. I toured by bicycle from Beijing to Kunming 2 years ago over 3000kms straight southwest from Beijing. I've seen the best and the worst of this country from ground level.

The real damage is being done in North East. I've seen shit that makes Ceewan's pictures seem tame but anyone can find a picture to prove a point.

I have pictures of Beijing on a sunny day with bright blue sky. I took them last week, it's a rare occurrence but it happens so pics are essentially useless.

Here's some pictures I took with my phone at a beach resort near Beijing. The weather was like this all week, If you think I Photoshopped them I'll take that as a compliment as I don't know how to do that shit.:

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2233.png

Status
Not open for further replies.