[HELP] Bitmap-to-anything smaller Converter

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Hey. This has been a problem for me for a while now, but the straw that just broke the camel's back was this HCG set that was 300 MB before I unzipped it but became 29 gigabytes upon unzipping. Even though the images are small in resolution, at 800 x 600 pixels, they are bitmaps and average at around 1.3 MB in size per file. I took one of the bitmaps, converted it to the jpeg format in Gimp, and it came out to 117 KB. In other words, Bmp-to-Jpeg conversion reduced the file by 10x its original size. If I could apply this to the 29 gigabyte archive, it would become 2.5 to 3.5 gigabytes in size. A worthy trade-off!

There's just one problem: the only way I know how to do this is manually converting one picture at a time inside Gimp or other image editing software. So what I was wondering was, can anyone point me in the direction of a safe, reputable:
(1) script that will interface with Gimp and auto-convert the pictures for me in a given directory? or
(2) image editing program that is capable of being assigned batches of images for file format conversion?

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
I use Irfanview which can batch convert and rename though I use it mainly as an image viewer. It's freeware so no need to find a cracked version or w/e plus its quite small at <2mb.

When you have Irfanview running just hit 'b' or go to the File tab and go to 'Batch conversion/rename' then you can select a folder for conversion or add files to the batch list. It's pretty straightforward.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
seconding irfanview.

best image viewer ever, and the batch file converter is awesome.

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
seconding irfanview.

best image viewer ever, and the batch file converter is awesome.

using IrFanView too, but cannot open Japanese named images or images in Japanese named directories although all plugins are installed.

Any suggestions what I am doing wrong or what is misconfigured?

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
Irfanview does not support unicode so, for now, you will continue to have this problem unfortunately.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Does that mean that Irfanview cannot operate at all in Japanese mode? or does it only mean that it cannot operate on directories which contain Japanese characters in their filepaths?

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
Irfanview does not support unicode so, for now, you will continue to have this problem unfortunately.

I have the unicode support plugin installed, but it´s not working correctly either, I just have to bear with it...

it´s ANSI2UNICODE.DLL by Christophe Paris, it´s just from the IrFanView homepage...

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
using IrFanView too, but cannot open Japanese named images or images in Japanese named directories although all plugins are installed.
Try installing Microsoft AppLocale, create a shortcut for your IrFanView executable using the Japanese language codepage, launch your new shortcut and you should be able to operate on Japanese filenames.

(If you're on Vista or Win7, you probably have to disable UAC for the installer to work.)

(Optional patch to get rid of runtime warning message.)

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
I always set my locale to Japanese (non-unicode Shift_Jis shit) and irfanview can handle moon just fine. Paths, filenames, whatever. I used to play a lot of H-games like 5 years ago, and I got used to that stuff.

It also has an additional option since 4.0x under Misc 1. to enable unicode if that's too much for you.

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
You can change irfanview's language japanese but regardless of the language, it will not operate on pictures that contain Japanese characters in their filepaths (just tried it). I've tried to find a solution before with no success.

:death:

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
redrooster:
My apologies, it seems I'm wrong! If I can get IV to view images w/ japanese characters then it becomes my #1 image viewer hands down. Though I get the feeling I've read chompys solution before, this time I'll try to implement it and see what happens.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Don't give up, I assure you it's not that difficult.

If you don't want to change your system locale, check out applocale like Rollyco suggested.

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
all my directories inside the h-anime collection are named english + romaji + kanji, just to find anything when searching on 1st hit. But that way I cannot view any cover inside the directories with IrFanView, which is the standard viewer, I have to switch to MS pic + fax viewer (if the translation is correct).

Inside the mangas I normally have eng title only + pics by numbers, but it got boring to rename all those ones which came with Japanese pic names..

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I have to switch to MS pic + fax viewer (if the tranlastion is correct).
Ugh. Try Honeyview3, it's a great unicode-friendly replacement for the MS pic viewer. And it's made for viewing comics!

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
Hm, well that wasn't hard. In Irfanview, go to Option->Properties->Misc 1. Then make sure the very last box (Use Unicode Plugin) is checked, then you don't have to change the system locale or use applocale. Now you can batch convert/rename and view images that contain japanese characters without a hitch.

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
argghhhhhh - that was so bloody easy. For years I have been suffering from that nasty situation to permanently need to switch between both viewers...

Thx to Sakun too who bumped this topic...

This is a fascinating thread. There was just a question for a special software with added problems and plugins (not working) by some posts and the solution found by Kbryc08 just is incredible. Some people really have got a big profit out of this, me included of course...

Seizer

Feb 26, 2007
Priceless topic.
Have been using Irfanview forever but it's suprisingly hard to remember to update every program we use. :p
Had 4.00 but with 4.23 now under it's quite nice, although I do have Jap locale in my Vista.
Now I can see pics under garbled up folders like "Æ‚ë‚è‚ñ‚±] ƒeƒBƒtƒ@‚³‚ñ‚ƈê��" which was impossible before with IV(in Jap locale). <3