For the PS3 Recommendations

dne_dead0000

Jan 26, 2010
"Anyone know any good games for the PS3? Even ones that you could download. There's not a lot of choices like the X-Box and many of have been just not to my interest. I've played the COD series, Batman Arkham, Soul Caliber, and both Uncharted. I was hoping for a good RPG..

Speaking of RPGs, if anyone has played Star Ocean 4 and Final Fantasy XIII, how was it like? I was thinking of getting both of them when they come out here. Although, after everything I heard about FFXIII, it's starting to sound iffy.. so anyone clarify? Thanks!"

aznvietguy411

Oct 14, 2009
I have FFXIII. It's not that bad. If you compare it to the older FF's then don't get it. Personally I think it's really good seeing how it's the first FF game on the PS3. Star Ocean 4 I haven't gotten yet, probably soon. There are a few good RPG's out for the PS3 at the moment just depends on your taste. Cross Edge is good, Atelier Rorona is coming out in Fall I believe, and Trinity Universe just recently been announced for US release also in Fall, if not Winter.

kagami hawke

Apr 27, 2010
I have Star Ocean 4. The game-play is similar to 3, but a little simplified. It plays great though. Everything else is awful. I love the series, but 4 has the worst plot. The English voices are pretty bad for most characters, but they thankfully have the Japanese voices as an option. So at least you can switch it if you can't take the English voices anymore.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
JRPG recommendations are worthless without at least knowing two crucial pieces of information:
(1) what sort of JRPGs have you love-love-loved?
(2) and what sort of JRPGs were love-love-loved by the people giving you these recommendations?

I would highly recommend FF12 to you because I think it's one of the best RPGs I've ever played: but I'd take that recommendation back in a heartbeat if you told me that you hated a preponderance of CG cutscenes or if you absolutely despised video games made by BioWare (like Knights of the Old Republic or Mass Effect), seeing as FF12's gameplay mechanic is identical to that found in BioWare's RPGs.

But FF12 is PS2, not PS3, so I guess that's neither here nor there.

PS3 suggestions? Yikes: honestly, I don't think either the PS3 or the XBox 360 have enough games for them to warrant their purchase if you're just going for RPGs. The good ones on the 360 have all seen PC releases (which come along with fanbase cracks, mods, and other support you won't find easily or freely for the 360 version), and I don't believe there have been any good ones on the PS3. =\ FF13 looks like a pretty piece of fluff (no, I didn't see anything past "the 36-hour tutorial") and I've heard from a friend who owns it that Dragon Age keeps crashing on him thanks to incompatibility with PSN's newest firmware patch for the PS3.

DevilXdevil

creatively retarded
Former Staff
Sep 24, 2008
demon's souls the only game i bought for ps3 this year a very good action/rpg it may be a bit hard until you get used to playing it watch some video online and reviews who knows maybe its to your liking

btw

http://www.ps3rpg.com/

there you can check rpg's for ps3 hope that helped

other games that i would recommend for ps3 would be darksiders,assassin's creed2,dante's inferno and metal gear solid 4

http://games.toptenreviews.com/list_ranking_ps3_rpg.htm

another site for ps3 games divided in categories

Mushibito

Sep 19, 2009
For a VERY GOOD game I suggest Valkyria Chronicles, some other game suggestions would be: Resonance of Fate, Yakuza 3, Disgaea 3 and Bayonetta.

Resonance of Fate I am a little iffy on suggesting because it's not for everyone.
Bayonetta has a couple of small issues in load times just FYI.

Hope I could help.:eek:k:

RyuKaze

龍風
Jun 22, 2010
Final Fantasy XIII looks brilliant, and the characters have some interesting traits, but overall the story is lacklustre and so disjointed (as it makes use of a 'Day xx' chapter break, much like KH2, but unfortunately I don't think they have pulled it off nearly as well as the KH2 implementation.)

As for RPGs - It really depends on your preference. RPG, JRPG, SRPG etc.
Valkyria Chronicles is a superb game, with a great plot and a unique visual presentation (just knowing it uses the 'Canvas Engine' should give you a hint as to the visual style)

Disgaea 3 is fun and has decent English VA, but it is heavy on grinding (much like the previous games in the series), but the main character, Mao, doesn't compare to Laharl (or even Adell for that matter) from the previous games.

Demon Souls is another title worth a look at, although it certainly isn't for everyone. If you want to play with a DMC mindset (mashing the attack buttons and jumping everywhere) then steer clear of this game and pick up DMC4 or Bayonetta (which I personally feel has a better battle-system implementation than DMC!)

Cross Edge is an interesting game - It's basically a cross-over title, with an average story, but some very memorable moments (mainly comical ones). Like Disgaea, it's a grinding game, but if you are happy at leaving missing trophies, then it's not too hard to complete in a few sittings.

As for PSN downloads - Vagrant Story (PSX) is available; which I would highly recommend if you haven't played it before and are not too bothered by the graphics (although they were beyond their time when it was originally released.)

BoF3 is there too - I personally preferred 4, but this was still a good game in it's own right.

All of the PSX FF's are there too, so if you have a liking for 7,8 or 9 and haven't played or no longer have the discs, then maybe download these too.

For Non-RPG games, I'd recommend:
Bayonetta (if you can get past the shameless fan-service), Fallout 3 GOTY (still has a large RPG element, but has it's fair share of action - Overall an engrossing game, but maybe a little slow for some people), Metal Gear Solid (superb single-player and the online game is refreshing different to games like CoD; but the community isn't the best around), Resident Evil 5 (now that it's released, it's best to go for the Gold version with all the DLC included.) :exhausted:

I could go on listing titles, but I'm sure you have better things than reading an even longer post.

agx9

Apr 2, 2007
demon's souls, valkyria chronicles and 3d dot game heroes are MUST own games IMO. You might want to check out atelier rorona, folklore, disgaea 3, and costume quest as well. Check out the ps1 RPGs on the store as well.