Fear Of Radiation Treated as “Psychiatric Disorder” In Fukushima

ardo

Mar 2, 2010
...a study has found that almost a quarter of Fukushima residents hospitalized in the aftermath of last year’s devastating earthquake and tsunami were treated as having a “psychiatric disorder” because of their concerns over radiation.

The treatment of Japanese citizens who expressed concerns about radiation sickness only to be told they had a mental illness is similar to how Desert Storm veterans and other U.S. military servicemembers were told that their health problems from exposure to depleted uranium were in fact a result of a psychological disorder.

http://www.infowars.com/fear-of-radiation-treated-as-psychiatric-disorder-in-fukushima/

Although the Fukushima crisis seldom makes the headlines anymore, the devastation it wrought is unlikely to be quantified for years or even decades.

Research has shown that some areas of Tokyo have more radiation than existed in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zones. Indeed, recent soil samples taken in Tokyo were found to be so radioactive that they would be considered radioactive waste in the United States and would have to be disposed of by experts at a secure facility.

japan-radiation-fukushima-nuclear-nukes-photo-001.jpg

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
Are they claiming that people who where near Fukushima when all hell went to a hand basket at the nuclear power plant are somehow insane because they have a reasonable fear of nuclear radiation or a fear that they might have nuclear radiation? Everyone living near that area should be checked for radiation.

Freedom Kira

Rawr™
Jun 19, 2009
I wouldn't be so quick to call it a psychological disorder, but they do have a bit of a point. They are being overly paranoid and letting the past, including past meltdown incidents like Chernobyl and the atomic bomb incidents, cloud their judgments about the current situation.

IMO that does not exactly count as a psychological disorder. It's more like... lack of awareness/information about the current situation, and perhaps a lack of trust in what they are being told (this whole psychological disorder thing is probably not helping that either).

Everyone who was in the area during the worst of the meltdown would be of concern, yes. These are the ones that were inside the evacuation radius. The ones there now, or were outside of the evacuation radius for most of the crisis, are in no danger, from my understanding.

Evil Kitten

May 25, 2007
I wouldn't be so quick to call it a psychological disorder, but they do have a bit of a point. They are being overly paranoid and letting the past, including past meltdown incidents like Chernobyl and the atomic bomb incidents, cloud their judgments about the current situation.

IMO that does not exactly count as a psychological disorder. It's more like... lack of awareness/information about the current situation, and perhaps a lack of trust in what they are being told (this whole psychological disorder thing is probably not helping that either).

Everyone who was in the area during the worst of the meltdown would be of concern, yes. These are the ones that were inside the evacuation radius. The ones there now, or were outside of the evacuation radius for most of the crisis, are in no danger, from my understanding.
How do you figure? What is your view based on?

Freedom Kira

Rawr™
Jun 19, 2009

hampa6

Dec 3, 2008
The notion that aerial fallout was worse over Tokyo than in the Chernobyl exclusion zone is ludicrous. Chernobyl released more than ten times as much radiation as Fukushima (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-13050228). Furthermore, most of of the radiation at Fukushima was released into the sea as contaminated coolant. Properly done and collated independent readings confirm aerial fallout is much less than at Chernobyl (2.5 million measurements with fallout maps at http://blog.safecast.org/). I checked who was behind the anomalously high Tokyo reading and it turned out be Dr. Chris Busby, who is not a very credible source at all. I wish people would actually demand the same standard of proof from independent sources that they demand of Tepco and the Japanese government. Just because you are suspicious of the official data, doesn't automatically make every counterpoint true.