FBI Ordered to Copy 150 TB of Data Seized From Megaupload

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

ardo

Mar 2, 2010
The US government has been ordered by a New Zealand High Court judge to immediately prepare to copy the 150 terabytes worth of data held on Megaupload servers seized by the FBI in order to turn it over to indicted founder Kim Dotcom.

Included in the 150 terabytes of data are over 10 million intercepted emails and “voluminous financial records” that were obtained from different countries, not just the data seized from Dotcom’s house.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/06/megaupoad-data/

According to an affidavit by FBI agent Michael Postin, copying just 29 terabytes had taken the agency 10 days. Postin said that copying all the data could take two and a half months. Even then, some of the data could not be copied as it is encrypted, Postin stated.

Much of the data was seized in January from 130 computers and storage devices captured in the dawn raid on Dotcom’s house in Coatesville, north of Auckland. Though the New Zealand court ordered that the items not leave the country until non-relevant portions were returned, the FBI made a copy of the data and FedExed it out of the country, arguing afterward that the copying was permitted.

Credit: Frogleg

megaupload-banner.jpg

gyoza ramen & a beer

Feb 20, 2009
The US government has been ordered by a New Zealand High Court judge to immediately prepare to copy the 150 terabytes worth of data held on Megaupload servers seized by the FBI in order to turn it over to indicted founder Kim Dotcom.

And don't forget my copy too, alright? :joker:

ardo

Mar 2, 2010
I find it curious that this data was copied immediately after the raid, sent out of the country illegally in a flash... but when ordered by a court to copy what they copied the FBI needs months.

Bastards.

Also, how does one Fedex 150 tb worth of data?

You could use 50 3 tb externals, I suppose.

Or 8 to 10 of these monsters:

22-240-055-02.jpg

Drobo DroboElite 16TB USB 2.0 / iSCSI 8-bay Storage Array Perform Bundle EL1A2-2003FYYS-8

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3668349&SID=

These things are $5000 a piece, plus weigh 16 pounds.

They're also USB 2.0, which is 10 times slower than 3.0. Not a good solution for massive amounts of data.

All this makes me wonder if they ever really did copy his data (???)