1. The May FileJoker Contest is Over

Congratulations to all the winners!

To see who won, check out the announcement thread
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Gaming Console?

Discussion in 'Game Discussion' started by Speeny, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Speeny

Speeny Active Member

For me, it'd have to be the PS2. Just such a great library of games.
  2. CodeGeek

CodeGeek Akiba Citizen

Hm, that's a hard question. I have to admit that I'm a Nintendo fanboy. ;) So...
    NES was great, SNES was also great. :) Unfortunately I didn't have a N64 and a Gamecube. Wii was great and Wii U - let's say - could be great (still waiting for Zelda...).
    I have a GameBoy Color and a Nintendo DS. :) The GameBoy Color really sucks because it has no backlight. So it's hard to get the light right in a way you can see something on the screen. :)
  3. Speeny

Speeny Active Member

I wish I owned an N64. Agreed. I actually found 2 of my Gameboy colors the other day. Only 1 game...Super Mario Land. Still haven't completed it. It's fucking hard, (for me at least) and with no save option...urgh.
  4. CodeGeek

CodeGeek Akiba Citizen

Sometimes I'm wondering how we were able to finish all of these games. Nowadays you have a save point every 5 screens. And if you play the old games in the emulator you can save at any point.
    BTW: That was one of the aspects what I liked about Prey: You couldn't die in that game. I mean you could, but you were able to get back each time without saving and loading.
  5. Speeny

Speeny Active Member

If you have a SNES, I highly recommend Zombies Ate My Neighbors. The co-op option is sooo fun.
  6. hollywool

hollywool New Member

Dreamcast. Of the only 3 RPGs I've ever finished, 2 were for that console. When they had good games, there were none better.
    But my fallback console is still the PS2. There was something for everyone on that machine!
  7. maths486

maths486 Active Member

If you compare the Sony consoles with the Nintendo consoles, I notice a main difference, the media where the game is stored. Correct me if I'm wrong but Sony mainly uses optical discs (similar to where your favourite JAVs are stored mainly) while Nintendo uses "cartridge technology". I have to admit that Nintendo's "cartridge technology" is amazing in the sense that the Nintendo handheld consoles have bested the Sony counterparts. If you know what I mean, a very small (Nintendo or similar) cartridge nowadays has the capacity to store at least 32 GB of memory.

I'm just wondering if JAVs or similar media can be seen to be produced in cartridges in the future. Nintendo is Japanese. JAV is Japanese. It should be possible, right ?

8. CodeGeek

CodeGeek Akiba Citizen

Okay, Nintendo uses cartridges still for their mobile handhelds. I guess the reasons are obvious: They are shock resistant. But her non-portable consoles - that's a different story. The N64 was the last one using cartridges. And I guess that time won't come back.

And you can put JAV on cartridges if you want. Even now. Use simply a SD card and the SD card reader in your computer. ;)
  9. maths486

maths486 Active Member

...Yes of course, I believe that's what most of the users here come here for (including me)...to download some JAVs and put them on "cartridges". And I can't see any resaon why non-portable consoles can't use "cartridges" in the future. The way I see it, for as long as your computer uses "cartridges", then so can non-portable consoles. Anyway, maybe I'm saying this because I'm not understanding some things.
  10. CodeGeek

CodeGeek Akiba Citizen

I guess cartridges are a lot more expensive than CDs or DVDs (Nintendo uses a special version of these). So that's why they switched. For their mobile devices it was a better decision to stick to the cartridges because of their advantages for mobile device users.
    I don't think that they will switch back. It's more likely that you won't get any data medium in the future at all and get all the games as download-only titles. I personally wouldn't be happy about that development as I prefer a data medium and hate downloads (also have no Steam or whatever on my PC).
    maths486 likes this.
  11. maths486

maths486 Active Member

I have a Nintendo DS Lite and I'm satisfied with it. For me, it's even better than most cellphone or mobile or tablet devices. Because of its clamshell design, I think that it is optimized in a certain way in that it is easily folded away for storage, the screens are easily protected, and there are "two" screens in it instead of one. It's the same idea as laptop computers.
  12. maths486

maths486 Active Member

...but the games these days on consoles everywhere are getting crappier and crappier (for my opinion). I don't enjoy much as I've used to. My best times playing the games were during the PlayStation and PlayStation2 years. So many excellent titles back then. (Check out www.gamefaqs.com). Now I'm back to Nintendo playing Super Mario Bros. games and Zelda. And I don't know what many gamers (still) like about Pokemon these days. I think the concept and story line is always the same. At least in the Super Mario and Zelda games, some concepts and things are different all the time.
  13. chroniciousfox

chroniciousfox Barely Known Member

I'm an avid gamer, play pretty much every single day. Play PC almost exclusively, ungodly amount of great games on steam. But I reckon my go to console as of now would be my vita. Play a lot of Dragon's Crown, Murumasa Rebirth, Criminal Girls 2, and plenty others. I own alot of devices, 3ds, ps2, ps4, etc. Just can't be bothered to play them nowadays. Been playing Chaos Rings 3 recently on ios/Android. It's a really good jrpg, if you are looking for a console quality game on your phone. The Dreamcast was aweomse, as HollyWool mentioned.
    maths486 likes this.
  14. mealtimeshadow

mealtimeshadow New Member

For me, it would have to be the NES, SNES, and Playstation 1. I played the bulk of my hardcore gaming on those consoles. I have many PS2, PS3, and Wii games, but they mostly sit relatively new, collecting dust on the shelf. Some games, like Final Fantasy Type-0 and Metal Gear Solid V, I haven't even open from the box yet.
  15. blah13

blah13 New Member

The consoles that have brought me the most joy are the PS 2, Xbox 360 and the GBA (if handhelds count).

The GBA was something I enjoyed a lot, great for the multiple family/ formal vacations that I was forced to attend back then. Spent hours playing all the Pokemon games up till Ruby and Sapphire as well as the legacy of Goku series.

The PS2 was great because games were cheap and the library was massive by the time i picked it up, some of my all time favourite games were on this system from, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Destroy all humans, Black, every Crash Bandicoot game. The PS2 had some great games that you could play with a bunch of friends, I remember spending the hours afterschool playing WWE, DBZ Tenkaichi, FIFA and Rachet and Clank with a bunch of my friends.

With the Xbox 360 I embraced online multiplayer in a way that even on the PC i hadnt up until that point. Now its all about CoD with most people, but I Remember For a long time It was Halo 3 that was at the forefront of multiplayer gaming on the consoles. Halo 3 was truly special for console gamers, unlike now where the best multi player games last a few months before being replaced by something new, Halo 3 had a long and healthy run. Great community, my first exposure to people from all over the world, met some amazing people while playing this game. CoD 4 modern warfare was also truly amazing when it came out, the Gears series was also a blast. The 360 was a great console IMO.

Now I have an XBOX one, Halo 5 was great, the monthly free games are good as well, but i cant help but feel that Its a bit difficult to get into any multiplayer game these days when the population drops a month after release because most people have moved on to something new. It feels like its been a while since a console shooter has been able to keep the population together for an extended period of time.