Fairies and Balloons, Oh My

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
Pupils starting at West Spring Primary were greeted by balloons and teachers dressed as fairies when it opened its doors for the first time Thursday morning.

The Bukit Panjang school is one of three new primary schools welcoming their first batch of pupils on Thursday. The other two schools are Alexandra Primary in Bukit Merah and Northoaks Primary in Sembawang.

West Spring principal Jacinta Lim told The Straits Times she wanted to ease the anxiety of the 210 youngsters starting Primary 1.

"When the kids see the colourful balloons and fairies it distracts them from that anxious moment," she said. Such special first-day activities are a tradition she carried over to the new school from her former one, Yangzheng Primary.

"For the kids, transitioning to primary school can be overwhelming," she said. "The setting is very different, the school is bigger and they have to start buying their own food."

The school has also set up a partnership with nearby Zhenghua Secondary which will involve the older students acting as buddies to the younger ones. They will guide the West Spring pupils during recess time and teach them how to order and pay for food.

Northoaks Primary, meanwhile, will offer breakfast to pupils and parents to usher in the new school year today. Its principal, Ms Theresa Hong, said: "We just want to welcome them to a brand new school."

Parents will spend 45 minutes eating with their young ones before the first cohort of over 160 pupils is taken to the school hall for the flag-raising ceremony.

They are among 40,000 Primary 1 pupils beginning their formal education at 190 primary schools.
- See more at: http://www.edvantage.com.sg/content...1-kids-first-day-jitters#sthash.qDF6waZt.dpuf

Attachments

• 20140102_westspring_ST(1).jpg
    20140102_westspring_ST(1).jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: 1 person

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Most news is about Japan because...well this is a Japanese Neo-Otaku themed board. Still...very cute and interesting share.

WillEater

Mar 13, 2008
Thanks.. I will not post the article of a China company the awarded top employee with an "Overnight" with a AV star..

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Yep. My last excerpt from a Japanese headline was considered unworthy as well. The news section used to be the first thing one saw when one went to Akiba-Online dot com so the admins wanted the mods to approve any new threads in this section. I haven't the slightest clue why mods still need to approve new threads here now, good thing that is not the case with all new threads.

Here is a cool image link (while the link lasts) of an article on the dangers of another heavy snowfall in Japan this January:

Sapio_Tower-2.jpg

but I don't much feel like rolling the dice to see if my threads meet mod approval in this section either. No offense meant to the mods, that is just the way I feel about it.

Reactions: 2 people