Eternal torrents (perhaps a stupid idea that has already been tried, what do I know)

jjjjeczalik

Where are you, Miho =(
Mar 9, 2009
A handful of recent frustrations regarding dead torrents (stuck at 10% OR 99% for months), coinciding with dead direct downloads of the same files (because usually I will find the direct download, and then seed the torrent with it for a few weeks), leads me to wonder has there ever been any organised effort here (AO) to try to keep torrent alive (despite the obvious issue of leechers disappearing immediately after getting the files).

In other words, during my frustrating efforts of trying to obtain a few older DVDs (which I only just learned about, but have already been out for months or years), I thought about how fortunate I was that Miho Kaneko had so many fans, and that even though I didn't learn of her until her retirement, I was still able to obtain almost every single thing she's ever released.

So I thought that I'd make some effort to un-name all of my Miho Kaneko stuff (it's all neatly catalogued and renamed) in order to match it all up back to the original torrents, and then just seed them all for life. I was wondering if it's pointless or not. I'd hate for someone to discover her today, and end up with nothing but 75% of two dozen different AVI files, and a couple of hundred photos, when there was so much more. Because I don't think that the day will ever come where Imoutu will do what Atlantic Records did for Led Zeppelin, and release a complete boxed set, haha.

Anyway, as a professional leecher (who does seed,though), I thought that it would be the least that I could do. I have maybe 30 GB of assorted Miho Kaneko stuff.

Also I didn't know if continuously seeding a torrent (for months or years) makes one a target for law enforcement or not.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Also I didn't know if continuously seeding a torrent (for months or years) makes one a target for law enforcement or not.

I downloaded a torrent once which took over a year to complete and seeded it at least another year and I never got arrested or received a notice of some kind so I doubt you're more at risk than downloading lot's of torrent and not seeding them for long. In fact you probably have more chance to get arrested the more torrent you dl.

It's always a good thing to seed for as long as you can(if it's forever it's even better) so I applaud your initiative even though I mostly use direct download or usenet nowadays.

Since I can't seed the few torrents I uploaded here forever due to my limited upload speed, I just keep the files intact somewhere and reseed them when someone tells me the torrent is dead. That way everyones happy(assuming they tell me before giving up on the torrent) and they're usually grateful enough to seed for a couple of weeks after they get it.