Error 451: There’s Now an HTTP Code for Internet Censorship

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Increasingly, Internet providers are being instructed by courts to block access to websites. This measure is often applied against copyright infringing sites, but not always with a proper explanation. The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) just approved a special HTTP status code for these type of legal demands, Error 451.

https://torrentfreak.com/error-451-theres-now-an-http-code-for-internet-censorship-151222/

While some HTTP errors numbers were arbitrarily chosen, 451 refers to Ray Bradbury’s dystopian novel Fahrenheit 451 which is about censorship and suppression of information.

Reactions: Casshern2

ShogunXXX

Nov 13, 2014
Just to keep you free and safe. Be a good patriot, listen and obey.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Just to keep you free and safe. Be a good patriot, listen and obey.

I am sure that works for you and yours where you live, which would explain your need to troll this thread. I am sure it is was of the few places you can speak your mind without putting your life in danger. I feel sorry for you.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I heard that they defined that status code for countries which blocks sites (like many do for political reasons). The problem about this code is that it surely will also be blocked by / in this countries.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I heard that they defined that status code for countries which blocks sites (like many do for political reasons). The problem about this code is that it surely will also be blocked by / in this countries.

All countries block sites for political reasons, there isn't any other reason to do so.

You are clearly missing the point. It does not matter if they use the code or not, as it is not mandatory. It does give ISPs' the choice to be honest about why they are denying access though and they have nothing to gain by lying about the reason, especially since they aren't blocking the sites by choice but by authoritative order. Yet even that is besides the point. The point is that the Internet Authorities recognize the problems associated by site blocking and have made a clear statement as to their stance on the matter by creating this new status code.

ShogunXXX

Nov 13, 2014
You wrote elsewhere in this forum that you fully support what agencies like the NSA is doing, as should do all good patriots blah blah blah, so don't complain, enjoy what the State does for you, they think for you, etc., to keep you safe and free (or let you believe so).

" without putting your life in danger.":lol as if the United Stasi of America was the only country where people can freely speak.

People all over the world are using anti-censorship tools, the most Tor users for instance are not in China or Russia or Iran, but in the land of "free speech": USA,
https://metrics.torproject.org/userstats-relay-table.html

that speaks for itself no ?

Freedom of speech is just a bullshit stuff wherever you live, otherwise people would not need to hide behind screen names and proxies, even in the West, the so called "Free world" (which I belong to).