Erasing files… not working!

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

whisper

Apr 1, 2008
So I am pretty good about using an erasing program for files i no longer want.

Before using a data recovery program to double i check i:

1) Washed windows and erased remaining free space
3x using different programs (Eraser, Windows
Washer, Wellstone Total privacy).
2) defragged.
3) erased remaining free space again.
4) copied music files to "fill up" remaining free space, including lots of small, clean pictures when i got down to just some 10's of Mb's (thinking the little nooks and crannies might not get filled by bigger files.)

5) ran a Data recovery program: in "deleted files" recovery everything was fine, though the picture files it came had random, new names and could not be opened.
BUT: In "complete recovery" i got some negative results. That sucked. Advice?

If i replace the hard drive do i need to worry about any other parts of the computer being compromised? Its an HP Pavilion.

akuma2002

Moe is my life!
Nov 8, 2006
I don't really get you... Why do you want to go to such extent to erase useless programs?

Simply clicking "uninstall" and doing defragmentation is enough in most cases.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Simply clicking "uninstall" and doing defragmentation is enough in most cases.
How does I uninstall a JPEG? :evillaugh:

In Windows XP, Vista, and 7, you need to also consider disabling System Restore or other similar file monitoring/recovery service. Although the System Restore service should only apply to system files (and not regular user files), the services typically create "snapshots" of the entire filesystem for backup, which is how data recovery tools can detect files -- because erasing free space (and then overwriting it with dummy files) does not change/remove the System Restore data.

General practice: disable System Restore or equivalent services. Do not run erasing programs only on free-space; use them directly on all files/folders you want to purge. Be aware of the order of operations: using programs like CCleaner before erasing means you cannot tell your erasing programs to target specific files/folders.

Recommended practice: Split your drive into two partitions: one main for Windows/system files, and one temp for user/data files. Limit the amount of activity to the main drive (eg: regularly sanitize your Desktop folder, Temp folder, and any other specific folders that are regularly changed). For all else, you can easily erase the second partition.

Best practice: Destroy the hard drive, and just buy a new one. If you plan on selling your computer (or even just giving it to someone you know), never sell/give it with the same hard drive. Swap in a new one and run the system recovery CD that originally came with your computer to reinstall the OS. Keep the old drive to sanitize on your own terms (eg: erase or destroy).

For the paranoid (optional): Encrypt your entire hard drive using a program such as TrueCrypt, with a keyfile stored on an external device. Should anything happen, destroy the external device. Although the data technically still exists, it is reasonable to assume it cannot be recovered (just like erasing) because of how difficult it would be to crack the encryption. (But be aware of any local laws that may apply regarding lying about passwords, the existence of a keyfile, etc.)

If i replace the hard drive do i need to worry about any other parts of the computer being compromised?
Technically, no. The hard drive is the only device that retains data. The RAM (memory) also handles data temporarily, but that data is cleared whenever power is lost. There are some advanced data forensic techniques to recover data from RAM, but they generally apply to laptops where "Sleep" mode keeps a small amount of power in the RAM to prevent the data from being cleared.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
For the paranoid (optional):

Don't underestimate the paranoid, fear is a good motivator and a great teacher. There are some beautiful and undetectable tricks with Truecrypt, well worth experimenting with.

Nice comments guy, basically sound as well.

postscript:
Ditch Windows Washer, it is a waste of space on your harddrive, IMO.

porkar

Apr 2, 2007
What is the opinion of you wise people regarding which is the best program out of Truecrypt, Cyberscrub and TorProject for completely erasing data etc?

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I am not familar with Cyberscrub and I thought Tor was just for browsing.

Like I have said before the problem is usually not just eliminating data but eliminating all traces of data. Encryption solves this problem economically by effectivily erasing all data, (encrypted data is unreadable and therefore equatable to erased). So I would say Truecrypt out of the three you mentioned, though there are other encryption programs such as PGP that will do the same effecient job.