Eden of The East

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

HENTAIBEN

The Nesta
May 13, 2007
Eden of the East (東のエデン, Higashi no Eden)

Has anyone watched this series at all? It's quickly becoming my favorite series this year (Haruhi aside).

The Plot:

On November 22, 2010 ten missiles strike against uninhabited areas of Japan, claiming no victims. This apparent terrorist act is referred to as "Careless Monday" and disregarded by most people. The series begins three months later, with a young Japanese woman named Saki Morimi visiting Washington D.C. as part of her graduation trip. When she gets into trouble, a mysterious Japanese man, who introduces himself as Akira Takizawa, helps her through it. The man appears to have no memory and is completely naked, carrying only a gun and a cell phone charged with 8.2 billion yen in digital money. The cell phone has the phrase, noblesse oblige ("nobility obligates" or "noble's obligation" in English), printed on it. While they are coming back to Japan, they learn that a new missile attack has taken place in their country. ~ Wikipedia

Impressions: I was pretty much hooked during the first few minutes of the opening episode when Takizawa casually walks across the street towards the White House with his dong hanging out like nothing was wrong. The rest of the first episode was pretty funny and cute. It doesn't take more than a single episode though for things to start becoming more serious and dark as more of the plot and events happening in the world are revealed. Basically we learn that there are more people like Takizawa, who also have phones with 8.2 billion yen on them, and it's interesting to see how each person utilizes these funds. Also Takizawa keeps uncovering things about his past, each more shocking than the last. I'm trying to avoid spoilers so forgive me for being a bit vague when talking about the series. 7 Episodes in though and I'm really scratching my head over a few things and anxious to see what happens each week.

Aside from the story, I really like the art style. Again I'm not the best person to talk to about such things, but I find the style appealing none the less. Another pleasant surprise was that the opening theme is "Falling Down" by Oasis. I'm not sure how many Anime have actually used a western song as their theme, but I'd like to think it's a rarity. In any event, I really like the song. Another random aside is there aren't any episode previews sadly. Which really sucks when some of these episodes have cliff hanger endings.

Anyways... enough ramblings. Just wondering if anyone else has seen or likes this series. And perhaps I might have piqued your interest if not.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
It sounds interesting. Very interesting, like a good Tom Clancy or John Grissom book/movie, in fact.

But I've had bad luck with these sorts of animes, and so I think I'll sit this one out until the series finishes airing. Then, if people are raving about how amazing it is/was, I might look into it. But think about it: Code Geass, Infinite Ryvius, Darker Than Black, Neon Genesis Evangelion, ... a lot of shows start off with cool premises like this one does and then the writers just don't know where to take it from there or when they do (NGE) it just doesn't suit me. I sure do hope this isn't one of those cases. :(

gakido

ヒガンバナ
Apr 2, 2007
I've watched the first 5 episodes, then lose interest. Just felt it kind of got boring, a lot of people really like the show though. I guess it just isn't for me.

HENTAIBEN

The Nesta
May 13, 2007
Yeah I saw that. I'd totally get that phone if I could. I'd also make use of the HnE software too if such a thing existed.

Also, I enjoyed all the series you mentioned Sakun (with the exception of Infinite Ryvius, I've never seen it). So with that said, maybe you wouldn't like EoTE. Then again I obviously can't say how it'll turn out in the end. Speaking of ends, the final episodes of NGE television series were awful - but I rather enjoyed the End of Evangelion movie. /random

Hm, it's unfortunate you didn't like it gakido, but I guess I can see why this anime wouldn't be for everyone.

reingiolt

二マ...
Feb 27, 2007
finally finished watching this series. Sakun was right to not watch yet. 11 eps is just too short and the 2 upcoming movies will take a really long time to come out.

HENTAIBEN

The Nesta
May 13, 2007
Sadly, yes. I was disappointed with the way the television series ended. I hope the movies will be enough to wrap things up though.

nosihc

May 12, 2007
otaku armydo little instead of thinking of an solution
but phone-lady did the last most important bit..
but the lady run thought naked shoppiinghall was an interesting event..XD

cattz

(◣_◢)
Jun 11, 2007
Was alright with some really high quality animation, but the series itself was just sort of average at best.

Still, the series got quite a following for it. For such a short one it's blind followers rankup there with the zombies that will follow series like naruto, bleach, fullmetal alchemist, haruhi, etc., into the depths of hell no matter how bad they get.

Way to much that was skipped over, not developed, not answered, etc. Movies will makeup the length of the series (skip op/ed in episodes and realize it's barely a movies length sadly) themselves though.

Can't tell how it will turn out. Just know that it feels ridiculous it gets so much praise as it stands.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Why would one even bother? Your post equated being a fan of a popular anime with being a mindless zombie/drone/sheep/[insert noun of your preference denoting that one cannot think nor make decisions for himself]. "If I like a popular anime, it's because it's awesome and we all universally agree upon it; but if I don't like it, then it's because I'm right and you're all morons who will listen to whichever way the wind blows." Maybe if you'd been more intelligent and polite about it, he would have wasted a little more time on his reply than what he did.

cattz

(◣_◢)
Jun 11, 2007
Why would one even bother? Your post equated being a fan of a popular anime with being a mindless zombie/drone/sheep/[insert noun of your preference denoting that one cannot think nor make decisions for himself]. "If I like a popular anime, it's because it's awesome and we all universally agree upon it; but if I don't like it, then it's because I'm right and you're all morons who will listen to whichever way the wind blows." Maybe if you'd been more intelligent and polite about it, he would have wasted a little more time on his reply than what he did.

:dozingoff:

Now if I had just posted that with no explanation after I went on and on about a series without giving much of any reason as to why I liked something, well....I would be him...

Sorry, but "liking something" and "liking something BECAUSE" amount to very different things..

HENTAIBEN

The Nesta
May 13, 2007
Seriously? I made a comment as simple as rolling eyes because I thought it was pretty obvious you were trolling or putting out some flamebait. Why else would you come into this 4 month old thread and start insulting fans of this series (me), and fans of other popular anime (again, me, and others on this board no doubt). I didn't feel I needed to really say anymore than that. You were kind of being an asshole. If that wasn't your intention... well sorry, but I don't really see how that could be the case.

Now you just follow up someone calling you out by demanding that I explain why I like this series? Why do I have to? I don't. I just liked it. I thought it was interesting, and figured I'd spread the word about the series in case anyone was interested. It wasn't an amazing series, and I was a bit put off by the ending, but I enjoyed watching it on a weekly basis. Not my job to justify to you why I liked this or any of the other series you thought you'd take a pot shot at, just because you've got a bug up your ass and don't like them.

I haven't really seen you much on the forums despite the fact that you joined a month after me. I'm guessing we just don't frequent the same threads. But this is the second time you've trolled me now. First time for posting something about Sankaku Complex, and now for posting about a show I liked back in May. So, what's the deal? You got something against me? Bored? Need attention? Either way, you got me to respond to you, so bravo for that.