dvd to avi for mac

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Corkson

Nov 15, 2007
I'm in Asia with a ton of dvds I'd like to share. I'm not much of a computer expert, though. Can somebody tell me a convenient (and free) way to change dvd to avi?

Once I do that, I can upload to something like yastorage. I'm not sure about the thumbnails, though... How do I put those up?

Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere else. If there's a thread that can answer my newbie questions I'd be happy to look at it.

Thanks.
:bow-pray:

ccwder

Hmm...
Feb 27, 2007
My favourite and one of the best that I have ever used would be HandBrake (http://handbrake.m0k.org/). Maybe some of the others can help with suggestions for thumbnail hosting as I'm pretty out of the loop for that kind of thing.

I hope that helps!

Corkson

Nov 15, 2007
Looks like exactly what I need, thanks! Already had Mac the Ripper--seems these two go perfectly hand in hand.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Yea I agree with ccwder on that. Handbrake is the only way a mac user should rip DVDs. I might also recommend when you rip them to use the mp4/aac profile rather than the avi/aac profile. The mp4 container is better in my opinion (able to have chapter markers & tag movies in iTunes with relivant info) and both mac & PC users can view them.
As far as bit rate goes I usually just set the desired file size to 1025MB =1GB and the quality is usually great, but you can always tweek it a bit. There are a lot of extra features for mp4 as well. I haven't tried to play with any as my CPU isn't that great and I don't think I need them yet.
Now for thumbnails & images you have 2 options.
1: Hosting the image elsewhere. I use PicOodle! It's easy & fast with OK retention. With a few options, like thumbnail link or original image.

f_EIGHT045Dm_30302a7.jpg

2: Adding the image as an attachment to your post here on akiba. Visiable (thumbnail) & clickable. Retention is forever!
Well I hope that helped ya out a bit. Welcome to Akiba, I can't wait to see what ya got. Also as your in Japan I might also recommend uploading your files as torrents we're lucky enough to have great internet connection here.
desioner