DVD Problem.

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

j00bj00b

Sep 26, 2009
Okay, so I updated to Windows 10. It was almost certainly a mistake for a lot of reasons. I don't really care what data they collect about me, it's more performance issues; mainly, I have a specific DVD that I could play before the update, but no is no longer recognized by my laptop.

A little background: It's a DVD from Japan that I purchased recently. My laptop's DVD player is currently set for region 2, and I have several other region 2 DVDSs that I can play with no problem. I can't quite say the DVD worked perfectly before I updated (from Windows 7) - oddly enough it would not play with VLC player, and I could not rip it using my normal software (DVDShrink) - but I was able to play it using either Media Player Classic or even Windows Media Player.

Since the upgrade, however, my laptop does not even recognize the disc. Literally every other DVD I have tried works fine, but this one it read as a blank disk, and if I try to investigate any further it gives me errors that basically say "cannot access".

I can give more information as needed, but anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
out of my league. Still, I'm bored so I will give it a shot. Sounds like a DRM problem. As far as it refusing to play before with VLC that could be on you. You have to specify what types of files will be recognized by VLC. If you leave some types unchecked it will not load the correct codecs. It would really help here if you gave the name of the DVD you purchased, we are kind of in the blind here. It doesn't matter what it is, we really don't care (okay, somebody might tease you but who really gives a fuck?). If you supply more specifics maybe someone else has run across the same problem and will feel like speaking up.

As well you should give us more data on your setup. What type of PC are you using? give us some specs bro. Windows 10 still has a ton of bugs whereas Windows 7 is fairly stable. A quick fix might be to go back to Windows 7 (perhaps not the most desirable solution but I thought I would put it out there).

j00bj00b

Sep 26, 2009
It's a gravure dvd & OME-218 is the code (I'll happily share it if y'all can help me figure this out).

Laptop is an ASUS A53. I don't think specs are the problem. Again, I was able to play this DVD before "upgrading" to Windows 10, and I can still play literally every other DVD in my possession, regardless of region.

Again, I found it odd that VLC was never able to play it, but I don't know what setting I could change as it has no problems with any other DVD. I also popped it into my Blu-Ray player & it played with no problem, despite the player being set for Region 1 so far as I know. Whereas originally it worked fine with MPC or Windows Media, now my laptop doesn't recognize the disc as a DVD at all.

For reference, this is the what the log in VLC says:
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }

core debug: processing request item: dvd:///E:/, node: Playlist, skip: 0

core debug: resyncing on dvd:///E:/

core debug: dvd:///E:/ is at 0

core debug: starting playback of the new playlist item

core debug: resyncing on dvd:///E:/

core debug: dvd:///E:/ is at 0

core debug: creating new input thread

core debug: Creating an input for 'dvd:///E:/'

core debug: requesting art for dvd:///E:/

core debug: using timeshift granularity of 50 MiB, in path 'C:\Users\BPeress\AppData\Local\Temp'

core debug: `dvd:///E:/' gives access `dvd' demux `' path `/E:/'

core debug: specified demux `any'

core debug: creating demux: access='dvd' demux='any' location='/E:/' file='E:\'

core debug: looking for access_demux module matching "dvd": 12 candidates

core debug: looking for meta fetcher module matching "any": 1 candidates

lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\BPeress\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\fetcher

lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher

lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac

lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\fetcher\tvrage.luac

core debug: no meta fetcher modules matched

core debug: searching art for dvd:///E:/

core debug: looking for art finder module matching "any": 2 candidates

lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Users\BPeress\AppData\Roaming\vlc\lua\meta\art

lua debug: Trying Lua scripts in C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art

lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.luac

lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\00_musicbrainz.luac

lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.luac

lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\01_googleimage.luac

lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\02_frenchtv.luac

lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\02_frenchtv.luac

lua debug: Trying Lua playlist script C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\03_lastfm.luac

lua debug: skipping script (unmatched scope) C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\lua\meta\art\03_lastfm.luac

core debug: no art finder modules matched

core debug: art not found for dvd:///E:/

qt4 debug: IM: Setting an input

dvdnav warning: cannot open DVD (E:)

dvdread warning: cannot open VMG info

core debug: no access_demux modules matched

core debug: creating access 'dvd' location='/E:/', path='E:\'

core debug: looking for access module matching "dvd": 21 candidates

core debug: no access modules matched

core error: open of `dvd:///E:/' failed

core debug: dead input

core debug: changing item without a request (current 0/1)

core debug: nothing to play

qt4 debug: IM: Deleting the input

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Well, the luac extension is the Lua Compiler. It translates programs written in the Lua programming language into binary files that can be loaded and executed with lua_dofile in C or with dofile in Lua. VLC can play output files in that language, so that wasn't the problem.

The video is in NTSC Format so that could potentially be the culprit. You have a DVD Super Multi optical drive though, that should handle NTSC no problem.

I am at a loss here, sry. I gave it a go though (for what little that was worth).