Dragon Ball-Z HD Remastered Coming April

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

bologna

figlio di puttana
Sep 14, 2007

Dragon ball-Z is being remastered to high definition, including edits to the Dragonball world. (Prepare for angry protests lol)

It is set for broadcast in HD starting Sunday April 5th at 9:00am on Fuji TV

Via: [dqnplus]

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
I second lucari's post. And also, I have no idea if it will turn out well for the HD version.. There are plenty of DB fans out there but I doubt most of them will want to watch (for the second time) battle scenes where the protagonists take 4 episodes to charge up.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
I second lucari's post. And also, I have no idea if it will turn out well for the HD version.. There are plenty of DB fans out there but I doubt most of them will want to watch (for the second time) battle scenes where the protagonists take 4 episodes to charge up.

The main question for me would be more about censorship. Considering the amount of violence in several episodes and the changes since 90s of the "rules" in Japan about what is allowed to show on TV screen (Gantz comes into my mind), who knows what will be cut out or not. I'm not saying there are rules, but japanese channels apply self-censorship nowadays, it could be like on the erotic/fanservice shows.
Check episode 79 to see what I mean by violence. Anyway it's for Japan only ...

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
The main question for me would be more about censorship. Considering the amount of violence in several episodes and the changes since 90s of the "rules" in Japan about what is allowed to show on TV screen (Gantz comes into my mind), who knows what will be cut out or not. I'm not saying there are rules, but japanese channels apply self-censorship nowadays, it could be like on the erotic/fanservice shows.
Check episode 79 to see what I mean by violence. Anyway it's for Japan only ...
I do remember that episode. As I child, I was pretty disturbed after watching it.

:...:

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
thread moved into anime discusion

hijin

Dec 29, 2008
i hear they made a lot cuts this time around. instead of around 300 eps, its only gonna be around 100

thats what i heard

ssb82

Feb 13, 2008
This new series is call Dragonball Kai
It starts from Goku's brother coming to earth.

kornbucket

A bucket made of Korn
Apr 21, 2009
The point of the anime is to give it decent pacing, hence the cut from 300 to 100 episodes.

I hope it turns out well.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
As I expected, they have put down the violence factor compared to the original series, and there is less nudity (for the rare appearances of naked Goku in flashbacks from Dragon Ball era) too ...

This is an example of what can be improved (correct colors for the first appearance of Vegeta) or not (much less bloody stuff) with remastering treatment:

http://ranobe.sakuratan.com/up/src/up353278.jpg

It's clear that this series is close to zero-interest for me.

MracY

MracY
Apr 16, 2008
As I expected, they have put down the violence factor compared to the original series, and there is less nudity (for the rare appearances of naked Goku in flashbacks from Dragon Ball era) too ...

This is an example of what can be improved (correct colors for the first appearance of Vegeta) or not (much less bloody stuff) with remastering treatment:

http://ranobe.sakuratan.com/up/src/up353278.jpg

It's clear that this series is close to zero-interest for me.

aren't you making that decision a bit too fast?
isn't it all nostalgic and stuff? just for the renewed story without filler?
even with lessened gore, the 25 mins a week are worth it imo. (at least up until the frieza saga)

anyway, i like it very much!

ForteAnly

May 22, 2007
Censorship doesn't really matter because you know once they release these episodes on DVD in Japan they will be uncensored. At the price of some blood i think it's better than rewatching all of DBZ with all the stare downs and fillers.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Censorship doesn't really matter because you know once they release these episodes on DVD in Japan they will be uncensored.

I wouldn't be so convinced about that ... unless you have a good source stating that.