download rar movie on mac

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Could you be a little more specific. I'm on a Mac and have no problems with most of the files I download. What are you downloading, What OS are you on & what applications are you using?
desioner

cooldive6

Mar 10, 2007
my imac is just a few months old, and i have osx, 10.5 leopard, i have downloaded unrarx, divx player (free version) and i think at least i have downloaded vlc player, ( i dont understand how this player works). I am trying to download the direct download movies. Rar files i believe, i would also like to try the torrents, but first i would like to find out this first. I also have the same problem if i try to download rapidshare files or similar.
What applications do i need, Which players and so on!!
Hope this will help, thanks for the reply anyway

bobby3344

Jul 27, 2008
rar help...

Welcome to the community.

I'm a long-time Mac user.

First, I'd recommend you use this rar expander: http://rarexpander.sourceforge.net/ It's made for Mac OSX. I've had flawless results with it. It is a freeware download.

Second, I'd recommend you get this "Split & Concat" joiner application: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9545 It's also made for Mac OSX, and I've also had flawless results with it. The key here is that the downloaded segments must have two "." in each address and that they are sequential. when you read the simple instructions it will be clear. It is also a freeware download for which I've sent a modest paypal amount to the creator, and will send more in the future since it is such a beautiful application to use.

Third, I find I can play just about everything I download with VLC, Quicktime, and RealPlayer. If you don't have it already on OS 10.5, get "Flip4Mac" as a free download at www.Apple.com. That will convert all of the .wmv movies to Quicktime.

Fourth, VLC is a very nice program, to make playback of your movies simple, I recommend the following. Open VLC/pull down the "File" menu/open "Quick Open File"/select your file you want to open/then hit the play button on the VLC viewer.

I hope this helps. Let us know.

bobby3344

Jul 27, 2008
another tip...

Please remember that when you download a movie you must download all segments first, and then place all of the segments into one folder before you attempt to join/expand them.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Hi cooldive6,
Like bobby3344 I was born n raised using Macs. Welcome to the party… anyway you said that you downloaded urarX. Perfect that's the only unrar application I use. It's in my opinion the lightest and fastest. You also said that you downloaded VLC. Perfect it's the second best video viewer. I can usually open more strange PC codec avis than Quicktime but I prefer QT.
"What applications do i need, Which players and so on!"
It sounds like you got the two most important ones already. But bobby3344 did add that you should get flip4Mac which is good for viewing wmv files. And as much as I hate real media I do download a file occasionally and need real player.
Going back to your original post I'm still not sure what specific problem you're having.
desioner

cooldive6

Mar 10, 2007
Hello!
Hold on!
This is the message i get when i try to open a file: Your divx converters 15 days trial has expired!!
Shall i remove the divx player or what?!!

Thanks

cooldive6

Mar 10, 2007
Hello!
One more thing, when you open the vlc download page for mac, and intel, do you have to download both "Platform specific packages for 10.3.9, 10.4 and 10.5 (release 0.8.6i)" and Web browser plugins for 10.3.9, 10.4 and 10.5 (release 0.8.6i), and maybe some of the others too ??
Thanks!

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
cooldrive6 said:
Shall i remove the divx player or what?!
…do you have to download both…
Yes you should remove the divX player. VLC plays all divX encoded movies.
You do need to download the platform specific version. I haven't used the plugins though.
desioner

singaporeken

Feb 22, 2008
Hi, I use a MBP.... for playing avis, which are posted in rar files, I use unrar to join the parts www.unrarx.com (free). Most files play in Quicktime or VLC of course as posted before. Unrar is a no frills file joiner/viewer and has never let me down in the past...

Cheers,
Ken