"Discussion" doesn't mean "requests," okay!?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
"Discussion" means discussion.

First post:
E.g. either you post a declarative statement (like "Tentacle hentai is amazing") or else you post an interrogative invitation (like "Tentacle hentai is amazing, don't you agree?") in order to initiate a discussion. The goal is to get the ball rolling. Asking somebody for the source of some hentai is not a valid first post! "Where can I find Ingrid, guys?" is not how you start up an Ingrid discussion. Don't give me that bullshit!

Subsequent posts:
You reply in a manner relevant to the preceding posts. This may include requests of some sort (e.g. "who's the guy who drew that picture you just uploaded?"; or "speaking of Ingrid, when does that come out again?"; or "hey, could you upload that story for me, Joe? I can't seem to find it anywhere"), but they are always relevant to the preceding non-request(s) which came before!

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Three guys go to see a film at the cinema. After the film, they start talking about it.
Mark: Wow, that was amazing!
Joe: I know, right? The way Captain Powers flew through the sky! Pyoo! Pyoo! Pyoo! Ha ha ha ha! :)
Mark: Yeah, I can't wait for the sequel!
Adam: Say, when does the sequel come out?
That's a normal conversational request Adam just made. It doesn't break the flow of the conversation: it's quite natural to ask that question at the time that he did. Now consider this:
Joe: I know, right? The way Captain Powers flew through the sky! Pyoo! Pyoo! Pyoo! Ha ha ha ha! :)
Adam: Say, when does Iron Man come out on DVD?
Mark and Joe: . . . . . . . . . .
Adam: ... what? :\ What did I say?
Bad Adam. His request totally broke the flow of the conversation. Now, imagine this!

Suddenly, a random hobo approaches Mark, Joe, and Adam. The group stops in front of him as he opens his mouth to speak.

Hobo: Say, you guys know where I can find Iron Man on DVD?
This is what a lot of you are doing: you post selfish requests that have nothing to do with the discussion and which in no way serve to establish discussion! And you're complete strangers to boot! x_x It's bad enough if Adam breaks the flow, but at least Joe and Mark know who he is! But when some random person comes along and interrupts their discussion to post a request? That's just selfish; and by pissing all three guys off, you make them not want to help you even if they know how to.

"When does Iron Man come out on DVD?" is not a valid way to start an Iron Man discussion thread!

"When does Iron Man come out on DVD?" is not a valid request in a discussion thread where people are talking about Captain Powers!

Cut & Paste for all of your hentai requests. If it's a general request that doesn't lend itself to discussion, it doesn't go in this forum!

There. I'm done mini-modding. I apologize to the staff, but this is really getting on my nerves, and I'd like to start linking rule-breakers to this thread from now on instead of re-writing the same explanations over and over and over.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Examples of threads that I've seen posted here which should have been posted elsewhere:
  • "Where can I find more succubus hentai?"
  • "Where can I find stuff by LINDA?"
  • "Anyone have a HentaiKey pass?"
  • "Can somebody reseed Suvia 1, 2, and 3 for me please?"
These are horrible ways to start a thread in Hentai Discussion: because they're not discussion topics at all! Somebody provides the answer to the thread and -poof- no more discussion. Don't give me bullshit about how it could turn into a discussion: fuck you, it also might not happen and based on precedent the odds highly favor that it won't, so if it's not a discussion starter to start with, then there's no point in posting it here. If you post a request in Requests that then becomes a discussion (pfft, yeah right!), the mods can always move it to Hentai Discussion and if you ask them to then I am sure that they'd be happy to move it for you. But you've gotta prove that a discussion is probable and not merely possible if you want to post it here.

Examples of stuff that could squeeze by in Hentai Discussion if there was more to them:
  • "What's the Japanese word for 'doggy-style' ?" This question could have been a good request to post in Hentai Discussion if instead they'd created a thread called "Japanese Sex Slang" and the thread had been about lots of slang terms and not just one in particular. It's still a request and should have probably been posted elsewhere, but at least a discussion is likely to arise out of the much-broader topic of sex slang than "the word for 'doggy-style'" is.
  • "Why is LINDA's stuff so hard to find?" This is a request, and it may sound very similar to the LINDA request from the list above, but note the important yet subtle difference! This time they're asking now where they can find LINDA's stuff but instead why it's so difficult to find in the first place. Asking "Why?" can lead to discussion which enlightens many others and draws in debate as to the pros and cons of LINDA's policy. Asking "Where?" is just a selfish request with a simple, one-post answer. Also note that by asking the question of "Why can't I find it?", they can more legitimately ask in a follow-up question to the people who reply to them, "Okay, well, in that case, how do I find it?" At least then it's more like a discussion. Even if it is still a thinly-veiled request. :\

I might add more later.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I don't suppose you feel strongly about this subject do you Sakunyuusha? I am only asking because I detect a complete lack of emotional attachment to the issue.

LOL!
:)

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
ZOMG sakun got in berserk mode :coldsweat:
He's the kind of person to eat noobs for breakfast lol

Seriously it's nice to try to educate the mass, but in one month, the noobs will not care about this thread and start messing around again.
That's how it goes in such a forum with a steadily growing membership.
You know, 90 % of the members only know two sentences: "thank you very much" and "where can I find this ?". You cannot fight endlessly against this fact.

The only thing to do is keep calm and patience.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Why did I post this?

1. For the few, few people who will read it and listen.

2. To post hyperlinks to whenever I curtly respond to future threads with this message: "Requests do not belong in Hentai Discussion." If I only said those words and did not have this rant linked to it, they could say, "Well how was I supposed to know? I'm just a newb! Where does it say that you're not supposed to post requests here?" The rant eliminates their opportunity to sass me. They are wholly in the wrong and shall be made to realize that in a polite but curt manner.

3. To get it off my chest. I've been upset about this for a long time but bottled it up. I hate seeing Akiba become more and more famous with the 4chan crowd because they have a bad habit of showing no respect for the rules and selfishly posting their requests wherever the most people are (which, for hentai, is as we all know redrooster's hentai anime release threads, which serve as a sort of "hentai chatroom" for us regulars). I know I can't make them do as I want to if they really want to be pests, but it's not healthy to bottle it all up, either. Sometimes you just gotta let it out. And letting it out to yourself in a quiet room at home just isn't the same as getting on a soapbox and ranting on a webforum. :\