DAIWA HOUSE - (EDDI's House - Edward Suzuki)

RickyDicky

Dec 27, 2007
According to the Osaka Prefectural Government website, prefabricated houses accounted for approximately 160,000 of all houses built in Japan in 2006 which works out at 1 prefabricated house per 8 houses built.

I am fascinated by all things Japanese, especially those that are small and efficient; I drive a bB.

Can anyone tell me about EDDI's house?
http://www.eddishouse.com/
It's a prefab built by Daiwa. I really like this one:
http://www.eddishouse.com/type/type2/index.html
but it looks tiny, and the exterior looks a bit like a prison. I would be interested in the dimensions and the costs, and how custom are they? It appears that it has a flat roof. Does that preclude construction in areas that get snow? I understand that Toyota also makes prefab houses. Are they pricey or reasonably priced? Thank you in advance.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Holy fuck, I swear on my dead cat's grave that there are three of those just around the bend. I'll snake up a few photos for you. I know NOTHING about them, but they've been there since 2004

RickyDicky

Dec 27, 2007
Holy fuck, I swear on my dead cat's grave that there are three of those just around the bend. I'll snake up a few photos for you. I know NOTHING about them, but they've been there since 2004
With all deference to your dead cat, I would certainly be interested in seeing the pics, and your opinion of them. I have scoured the site but I can only read the english parts. I've run it through google translate, but that only works to a degree. Thanks in advance. More questions to follow, if that's OK.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Nevermind, I'm a retard, and I guess my cat is going to hell. Sorry Muggins.

2936067841_c2a3548a8b.jpg

This is what I thought it was... never you folks mind.

buttcheeks

Sep 19, 2008
Aquamarine,
That actually looks better than the Eddy house!
Typical J web page. Annoying as hell to navigate and woefully short on real information. Price? Probably 50 man a tsubo. Average price for a prison looking house that will be out of style in 3 years.

RickyDicky

Dec 27, 2007
Aquamarine,
That actually looks better than the Eddy house!
Typical J web page. Annoying as hell to navigate and woefully short on real information. Price? Probably 50 man a tsubo. Average price for a prison looking house that will be out of style in 3 years.

I'm glad to hear that I wasn't the only one who found that webpage hard to navigate. I thought it was because I don't read kanji. Although, there is tons of info, maybe that's part of the problem: too much info. From what I've read Daiwa has been making prefabs for decades. I'm not so much impressed by what it looks like, as I am impressed by it's functionality and innovation. It's alot like my xB; it's hideous to look at, but once you're in it you can't help but be impressed by its utility. Its looks have grown on me.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
OK, I knew I had seen a house LIKE that before, but turns out it's not the same. Fuck. Well can't say I didn't try.

2953839204_eb1d1fa407.jpg

2952985835_5df7fb6f2a.jpg

2952983997_3a831db26c.jpg

2952981855_5d522bc0ce.jpg

2952979879_bba667bf71.jpg

2953829226_4f97e89d0d.jpg

2953827406_6fc89a65f1.jpg

2952974347_c072955a41.jpg

I don't know how 'new' EDDI houses are, but this one has been around since at least 2004 when I first moved to Japan.

Sorry folks.

RickyDicky

Dec 27, 2007
OK, I knew I had seen a house LIKE that before, but turns out it's not the same. Fuck. Well can't say I didn't try.

I don't know how 'new' EDDI houses are, but this one has been around since at least 2004 when I first moved to Japan.

Sorry folks.

Thanks. I appreciate the effort. Those pics may very well be Daiwa houses; they have been building prefabs since the 50's. Do you suppose those pics you took are multi-dwelling units? Are those sets of pictures of two different examples - yes? I know you're not the Shell answer man, but what's with that flippin' ginormous antennae? Are they...eh...tunin' in Tokyo?

Apparently, they don't just do houses, they also have this thing: D - Room Stay. Fully furnished monthly-rental apartments in Tenjinbashi Osaka.
http://www.daiwamonthly.co.jp/english/tenjinbashi/building.html

Hey aquamarine can you watch hockey in Japan? One more question: can you give me any idea what those dimensions are in the last pic in the first post? (10,070 x 8,250) That's not meters! What's the next unit down from meters? Thanks.

RickyDicky

Dec 27, 2007
Oh, yo aquamarine now I see it; one unit, two different elevations. That...is it particleboard? is hideous. It makes it look like it's under construction.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Yes, artificially grained particleboard I believe. Anyways I used to be able to watch Canadian hockey at a bar in Shibuya, sadly the owners shut down and moved back to Canada. Now all I can see is local teams playing and a bunch of gaijin groups.