Chinese toddler run over twice after being left on street

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...un-over-twice-after-being-left-on-street.html

It is a story that has deeply unsettled millions in China, posing troubling questions about whether three decades of headlong economic development has left nothing but a moral vacuum in its wake.

It begins last Thursday when a two-year-old girl totters into a narrow lane in a wholesale market in the thriving industrial city of Foshan in Guangdong Province and is hit by a small, white van. The driver pauses, and then pulls away, crushing the child for a second time under his rear wheels.

It is not the accident itself, but what happens next — or rather doesn’t happen – that has left millions of ordinary Chinese wondering where their country is heading.

One by one, no fewer than 18 passers-by are seen on closed circuit television ignoring the girl as she lies, clearly visible in the road, haemorrhaging into the gutter. Not a single one of them stops to help.

----

It is only the nineteenth passer-by, a 58-year-old street cleaner called Chen Xianmei, who drops her bag of rubbish and rushes to the bleeding child, attempting to scoop up her up, but finding her floppy and lifeless.

Mrs Chen, who is only 4ft 7in tall, then calls for the girl’s mother who comes rushing into view, taking up her child in her arms, who is now in intensive care in the military hospital in the city of Guangzhou.

Yueyue remains in a critical condition, a nurse told The Daily Telegraph by phone. Earlier doctors said she had suffered major head injuries and was breathing only with the assistance of a ventilator. The story of Yueyue was the leading item across China’s online news portals as the copies of the CCTV highly distressing footage attracted more than a million viewings in a number of hours.

Aqua2213

Jul 23, 2008
I'm not sure if your aware of this EzikialRage but the little girl died of her injuries. Also the woman who scoops her up, I don't believe is her mother. Her mother appears shortly after the grapihic scene occurs and she is wearing pants and a blouse/shirt and going totally insane.

Here is the full length video of the incident. I don't want to call it an "accident" as in an accident people who cause it (not to mention passersby), stop and help the
victim(s).

WARNING: This is graphic and heart wenching to watch.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzEzMzMyMDQw.html

I watched a documentary by National Geographic about China's Lost Girls hosted by Lisa Ling and it was stated that by the year 2020 there will be so few girls in China that the young men will revolt and chaos will ensue for the lack of girls to marry.
Here's a link to a clip of the documentary...
http://www.viddler.com/explore/shopwatchbuy/videos/781/

One commenter at one website said that if you want to find out what someones worth is divide that one person by the population of the area in China in which that person lives...

I'm so sad for this little girls and her parents and shame on those who ignored this child bleeding and dying before them as they walked or rode by. :abandoned:

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
This post is a real downer.

I'm moving it to the Chatterbox sub-forum so I don't have to read about murdered little girls every time I visit the homepage.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
so sad to hear of one so young died in such circumstances, I hope they catch the driver, my thoughts are with the parents,

Aqua2213

Jul 23, 2008
Damn...
drool.gif

Since witnessing this horrific and tragic death of this two year old girl, everytime I see a girl of that age I take time to watch her interact with the small world around her, I cry inside silently for the injustice and selfishness that permeates life now.
20070811120242939.gif

I also refuse to view that video ever again. Don't have to it's on cue in my skull constantly....

rps404

Appreciative Member
Feb 18, 2012
There's a special place in Hell for those involved...

Out of naive, morbid curiosity I've viewed internet gore a few times. Not sure why I viewed this video - I think that I did not believe the description.

I wish I hadn't... I'm heartbroken at the loss of this small girl; livid at the uncaring passers-by; and am boiling with a vengeance that has me thinking how I can travel, find the perpetrator, and bring him to justice. My justice. One joint at a time.

I simply can't think of anything else to say except that I'm sorry for what happened to you, little angel.

Kumi3

Flaccid Member
Feb 8, 2011
Here's some more of the story...

Chinese hit-and-run driver sentenced to 3 1/2 years for killing toddler

A van driver who hit and killed a two-year-old girl in an accident that shamed China has been sentenced to three-and-a-half years for manslaughter.

Hu Jun, 25, was spared a harsher sentence because he had come forward to confess to the crime and paid a portion of the girl's medical bills before she died.

The court in the southern Chinese city of Foshan also said the narrow lane in the covered market where the accident occurred was not subject to same law as a public road.

The death of the toddler, nicknamed Little Yueyue, by her parents, provoked a spell of national soul-searching after security cameras showed at least 18 people walk past her prone body without stopping to help.

Mr Hu's van hit the toddler as she tottered into the narrow thoroughfare of the busy market. The security camera footage showed Mr Hu pausing and then pulling away, crushing her for a second time under his rear wheels.

One by one, the girl was ignored by passers-by. A cyclist was recorded wobbling slightly to avoid her body and then pedalling on. One of the pedestrians clearly spotted the girl, but gave her a wide berth.

Finally, the 19th person, a female rubbish collector, finally picked her up, moved her to the curb and began to shout for her parents.

At the time, the security footage went viral, and more than 4.5 million people left their comments on the internet. Many pointed out that bystanders are often scared of stepping forward, in case they are sued by the victims.

In response, Guangdong province, where Foshan is located, has submitted a draft law to China's National People's Congress to protect good samaritans from being held accountable.

Kumi3

Flaccid Member
Feb 8, 2011
As I follow links, I'm becoming aware of how big this all is.

So, here's a swag of related articles: http://shanghaiist.com/tags/yueyue

Including this one - highlighting that 4 similar incidents took place within 2 weeks of Yeu Yeu: http://shanghaiist.com/2011/10/28/will_it_ever_stop_another_child_cru.php

The Wikipedia reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Wang_Yue

And lastly, 'What makes a passer-by?' :http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ll-the-whole-story-about-china/article618552/, and: http://www.danwei.org/law/common_sense_decency_and_crowd.php

Noting from the latter:
According to the judge's "common sense," if Peng Yu could not catch the person who knocked down the old woman, he should not have come to assist her; rather, he should have left things as they were and gone off.

And I'll leave it there. Google is just a key-press (or two) away.