China warns U.S. off island dispute

prophetomega

Smut Hunter
Apr 17, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NLZLmIJjUY

These islands in the Pacific Ocean are at the centre of a long-running territorial spat between Japan and China. Both claim the territories, which while little more than rocky outcroppings, sit atop potentially huge underwater gas fields. On Sunday, one of China's senior most military figures warned the United States not to interfere in the dispute. Cai Yingting, a deputy chief in the People's Liberation Army, said during talks in Washington that any intervention would damage ties between the world's two biggest economies. (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) DEPUTY CHIEF OF CHINA'S PEOPLE'S LIBERATION ARMY (PLA) GENERAL STAFF CAI YINGTING SAYING: "We hope the U.S. will do more to safeguard peace in the region and maintain the overall good Sino-U.S. relations." Under a decades old treaty with Japan, the US would be obliged to defend the islands if they came under attack. But Washington has said it would not take sides in the dispute. Chinese and Japanese activists have landed on the islands in recent weeks, flaring diplomatic tensions and sparking protests in both countries.

SOURCE: http://ph.news.yahoo.com/video/china-warns-u-off-island-145917069.html

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Chinese media berated a military drill between US and Japan amid escalating tensions over disputed islands in the East China Sea.

According to Asahi Shimbun, about 2,000 US Marines and 40 Japanese troops will take part in the exercises on the islands of Guam and Tinian, including a simulation of an island assault. They will use a US amphibious assault ship, helicopters and hovercrafts. A Defense Ministry official claimed that the exercise does not presuppose an invasion on Senkaku by China.

Media saw the exercise as a provocation by Japan after a Japanese report quoted a top Defense Ministry official saying that the drill will be necessary to plan defense tactics in case of a Chinese advance on the Senkakus. The Communist Party’s Global Times urged China to prepare for possible conflict. A reporter for China Central Television said, “Villains do evil together”.

source, (and I use that term loosely):
http://www.asiadailywire.com/2012/08/chinese-media-attacks-us-japan-senkaku-drill/

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
There was an interesting article in "Stars and Stripes" about a year ago that I think is pertinent here. And no, I am not trying to stir up more anti-american rhetoric, try and keep it to yourselves for a change.

China's claim on sea leads Asian neighbors to strengthen ties with U.S.

Events like the ongoing Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training — a series of annual bilateral exercises with most of Southeast Asia’s seagoing nations — are publicly touted by the U.S. military as “relationship builders” targeting piracy and terrorism. Keeping shipping lanes secure from pirates and fighting insurgents are important parts of U.S. policy. But so is assuring the region’s smaller powers that they won’t have to fight alone for the right to sail freely in what most of the world considers international waters.

“An unspoken benefit [of the exercises] is assuring the region that the USA is committed to helping balance against Chinese power,” said Denny Roy, senior fellow at the East-West Center, a U.S.-based public diplomacy institute.

The flashpoint of friction in the South China Sea is the Spratly Islands, a collection of more than 100 small islands and reefs spread over 158,000 square miles of sea.

They have no native inhabitants and total about 2 square miles of land. But they do have abundant fish and vast potential for oil and natural gas reserves.

Vietnam, Malaysia, the Philippines, Brunei and Taiwan — all of which receive arms from or conduct naval exercises with the United States — have claims on some of the islands and their fisheries. China claims everything within a “U-shaped line” around the sea that omits only the coastal waters of the other countries.

Those claims, combined with China’s growing military might and assertiveness, are leading other nations to ask for more intense bilateral training scenarios than in years past. For example, Malaysia’s June exercise with the U.S. included anti-submarine warfare for the first time.

The U.S. and Vietnam will soon conduct a more low-key exchange. However, that too represents strengthening ties: A few years ago, the U.S.-Vietnam military relationship consisted of little more than ship tours.

Even South China Sea nations without Spratly claims are increasingly looking to the U.S. as a hedge on China’s ambitions. Singapore said this month that it is open to the United States forward-deploying its new littoral combat ships in its territory. Indonesia, which recently welcomed U.S. Seventh Fleet ships based in Japan, wants to increase the frequency and complexity of its bilateral naval exercises.

source:
http://www.stripes.com/news/pacific...eighbors-to-strengthen-ties-with-u-s-1.147599

Apr 11, 2007
And no, I am not trying to stir up more anti-american rhetoric

You're doing that job yourself by refering to imperial propaganda.
"Stars & Stripes" ... :tehheh:

The whole world has awaking and understands your motives and intentions, China cannot be trust! They are a threat to regional security and world harmony.

My message to you china man is don't mess with the good old USA or any of our allies you will paid dearly, don't forget that you parasites still reply our consumer market to survive."
...only shows the aimed demographic for this US propaganda website. Quite ironic statement actually.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
You're doing that job yourself by refering to imperial propaganda.

But referring to any other countries newspapers, news blogs or their governments website is okay with you? Not that you have ever given any sources other than your own coloured, abusive and intentionally insulting opinions which you consider your "Freedom of Speech"???? As long as you get to knock the US government and its' people anything you say has meaning right? Your opinions are worthless hypocritical drivel and never ontopic. People like you ruin discussion threads and your name says it all mega-TROLL. Why members like you are allowed to remain on any decent site is beyond my ken of understanding. Why don't you crawl back under the rock you came from and do the world a favor.

prophetomega

Smut Hunter
Apr 17, 2012
ADDITIONAL NEWS

interphoto_1346078391.jpg

Videograb from Japanese authorities shows Japan's Coast Guard (R) spraying water on pro-China activists' boat near the disputed Senkaku (Diaoyu to Beijing) islands in the East China Sea. AFP

TOKYO - Japan's Coast Guard on Monday released an edited version of video footage showing a clash between pro-China activists and its patrol ships near disputed islands earlier this month.

The move came as the government of Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda declined a request from the Tokyo government to send a team of surveyors to land on the islands at the centre of a bitter territorial dispute with China.

The footage, originally several hours long but cut down to about 30 minutes, shows a clash between Japanese coastguards and pro-Beijing activists in waters near the uninhabited East China Sea archipelago -- called Senkaku in Japanese and Diaoyu in Chinese.

It shows Japanese patrol ships using water cannon on the Chinese boat with activists throwing objects at the coastguards, before five activists landed on one of the islands.

It was not clear from the footage what they were throwing but a coastguard official said "we later found bricks on the patrol ships."

The video also shows two patrol ships sandwiching the activists' boat to block its way, just before Japanese officials managed to get on board, the official said.

Tensions between Japan and China flared after five pro-Beijing activists landed on the islands. They and nine others, including two journalists from Chinese media, on the boat were arrested by Japanese police and later deported.

Just days later, Japanese activists and local legislators also landed on the Japanese-controlled islands, despite warnings not to do so by authorities.

Tokyo governor Shintaro Ishihara, well known for his nationalistic views, announced last week that a team of surveyors, biologists and local politicians would visit the disputed chain.

The central government on Monday turned down Tokyo's request for the team to land, angering Ishihara, who said the decision was "totally incomprehensible," quoted by Jiji Press.

Also on Monday, a car carrying the Japanese ambassador to China was targeted in Beijing by a man who ripped off the vehicle's Japanese flag, a foreign ministry official said.

The ambassador, Uichiro Niwa, was not hurt in the attack, the official said.

The Japanese embassy filed a protest with the Chinese foreign ministry and demanded such an incident is never repeated, the official said.

Source: http://www.interaksyon.com/article/41589/japan-unveils-video-of-clash-with-pro-china-activists

Apr 11, 2007
But referring to any other countries newspapers, news blogs or their governments website is okay with you?
This wasn't my point. You quoted an obvious propaganda website. You simply can't deny that.

Not that you have ever given any sources other than your own coloured, abusive and intentionally insulting opinions which you consider your "Freedom of Speech"????
I'm neither insulting nor abusive. I quoted from the exact same source and you will eventually find similar statements all across this website under every article. Radical nationalism and gloryfication of militarism in favor of the empire. I'm really sorry if this may seem different to you, but I for once cannot acredit this website at all.

As long as you get to knock the US government and its' people anything you say has meaning right?
No. As long as someone speaks out against fascism, imperialism and the misery it brings to helpless people's lives it has a meaning.

Your opinions are worthless hypocritical drivel and never ontopic. People like you ruin discussion threads and your name says it all mega-TROLL. Why members like you are allowed to remain on any decent site is beyond my ken of understanding. Why don't you crawl back under the rock you came from and do the world a favor.
You declare my statements as "insulting" and "abusive" simply because they do no compute with your political views. IMHO this is the way to "ruin" a discussion. Now I'm not aggrevated by this in any way. You are conditioned to do so and I understand this. In reality you are the one who is highly ignorant and showcases aggression with posts like these, in which you label my opinions and values as invalid and trying to discredit me by portraying my persona of lesser worth and outright insult me with expletive language. I'm not saying this in a disrespectful way, but I sincerely hope you are aware that this behaviour is symptomatic for a mind under stress.

Lastly I just wanted to mention it would be welcome (at least from my side) if we could settle our differences and either hold future conversations in a propaganda free/objective way or alternatively desist from starting discussions about political topics that include militarism on an international level. We are not so different afterall. As you may have noticed, we both frequent the same forums of this website, so you see we share certain values already, and ultimately we are all the same... pawns to the powerful. The trick is just to accept you're not part of any hostile-grouping. Nations are nothing but fictional borders. We have to look beyond them and acknowledge the wrongdoings of our supposed leaders. Even if that means giving up a part of what you used to deem your own identity and what you've been thought is right.
Peace :chinesenewyearf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMJfo-ap76s&feature=g-all-lik

This is all that has to be said

enough with the political jargan

let's just all fucking love one another :notagain:
Great video by the way. Cheers.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Just how dense are you? In what alternate reality do you live in? Stars and Stripes is a US Military News source and has been around since 1861. Nor did I quote any "propaganda". I quoted an article that supplied pertinent facts. Unlike the made up quote you used and said was from the same source, next time try using spell check. Not that I wouldn't be surprised if some grunt said something like that but they are trained killers after all. Next time you quote from a "source" leave an effing link to it or keep it to yourself.

As far as the rest of your babble:

Yes we are very different and Yes you are a persona of lesser worth. If you want to get along then go along and stop attacking my posts. If it isn't meant to tee me off then you are doing a piss poor job of it.

Apr 11, 2007
Just how dense are you? In what alternate reality do you live in? Stars and Stripes is a US Military News source and has been around since 1861. Nor did I quote any "propaganda". I quoted an article that supplied pertinent facts. Unlike the made up quote you used and said was from the same source, next time try using spell check. Not that I wouldn't be surprised if some grunt said something like that but they are trained killers after all. Next time you quote from a "source" leave an effing link to it or keep it to yourself.

As far as the rest of your babble:

Yes we are very different and Yes you are a persona of lesser worth. If you want to get along then go along and stop attacking my posts. If it isn't meant to tee me off then you are doing a piss poor job of it.

Free your mind. :)

dustziggy

Dec 6, 2008
Japan is in a difficult position. China was forced to give the islands to Japan as part of a war treaty during the first Sino Japanese war, however after WW2 an international agreement forced Japan to relinquish any territory it had gained in Asia. After the war the U.S took care of the islands until the 70's when it decided to give them to Japan instead of China despite the agreement in place after WW2. If Japan hands back the islands to China as it should it will seem weak to Japanese nationalists. I'm no fan of the young Chinese protesters acting like children but it seems Japan should quietly submit a timetable for return of the islands to the Chinese government.
:study:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
China was forced to give the islands to Japan as part of a war treaty during the first Sino Japanese war, however after WW2 an international agreement forced Japan to relinquish any territory it had gained in Asia. After the war the U.S took care of the islands until the 70's when it decided to give them to Japan instead of China despite the agreement in place after WW2. If Japan hands back the islands to China as it should it will seem weak to Japanese nationalists.

I don't mind being disagreed with intelligently so I appreciate the input. I have to disagree with your interpertation of the facts though.

The US relinquished control of the Senkaku Islands to Japan as part of the Okinawa Reversion Treaty considering them a part of the Ryukyu Islands, ( the largest island in this chain is Okinawa), because that is how they were considered under US control for administration purposes. Thus the Potsdam Declaration was refined under the Treaty of San Francisco. If China had such a good claim as they say, they have had over fifty years to make their case to the international community.

additional comments:
http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2143330&postcount=29

additional sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam_Declaration
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_San_Francisco

Free your mind.

Bite me.

dustziggy

Dec 6, 2008
It's not complicated. The Senkaku Islands were discovered, claimed and named by China a long long time go. China claims it was the 14th century but the exact date does not matter. What matters is Japan also knew the islands belonged to China before taking them during the first Sino Japan war.

After WW2 the U.S made the mistake of including the Senkaku islands as part of the whole Japanese Ryukyu Islands group. Unsurprisingly in the 70's when the U.S handed control of the Ryukyu Islands group back to Japan it also mistakenly included the Senkaku islands.

It could be argued that China took too long to claim the islands back for itself but considering nobody listened to anything China had to say from the 50's onward, its not a surprise. What matters is that Japan did know the Senkaku islands belonged to China but excepted them from the U.S anyway.

As time moves forward the islands are not inhabited and thus the rightful transfer ownership back to China will harm nobody. Personally I couldn't care less about the island group but if had to make a judgement id rule in favor of China on this one. The Japanese case for the islands is a bit weak.
:attention:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
The Japanese case for the islands is a bit weak.

Let me quote from The Potsdam Declaration, ( also known as the Proclamation Defining Terms for Japanese Surrender), signed by the Nationalist Government of China, the United States and the United Kingdom:
"Japanese sovereignty shall be limited to the islands of Honshū, Hokkaidō, Kyūshū, Shikoku and such minor islands as we determine."

Also allow me to quote the wiki on The Treaty of Peace with Japan,(commonly known as the Treaty of San Francisco or San Francisco Peace Treaty), signed by 48 nations excluding China, (who was involved in a civil war at the time ).
Article 3 of the treaty left the Bonin Islands and the Ryukyu Islands, which included Okinawa and the Amami, Miyako and Yaeyama Islands groups, under a potential U.S. trusteeship.

These treaties should make clear that the disposition of what islands were to be returned to Japans' control was given to the US government, (all of the islands mentioned in article 3 have been returned to Japan by the US), and why Japan recognizes that authority. I would not call Japans' claim weak by any means.

amwf

Aug 31, 2011
China has already grown up as a strong country (as competitive as the US maybe?) which is quite an accomplishment (in my opinion). The US may be fearing that china becomes stronger..?

firebo14

Mar 6, 2009
:hi:

China, Taiwan, Philippines, Japan..... other countries.

Endless disputes, revenge, and altercations of islands and land... when will people be kind and just share and live with each other with lots of love?

That will be highly unlikely to happen. More deaths and injuries to come in the future.....

,_,

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
China has already grown up as a strong country (as competitive as the US maybe?) which is quite an accomplishment (in my opinion). The US may be fearing that china becomes stronger..?

Maybe..... but realistically...no. China is no threat for world domination schemes. Alliances between Europe, Australia, the US and many smaller but no less proud countries would make China look pretty isolated and somewhat small.

However smaller countries like Taiwan and Vietnam might have reason to be scared shitless, though they sure are not acting like it. China is a pretty oppressive and aggressive country at the moment and the Chinese people are scared of their own government, for good reason too, just ask the survivors of Tiananmen Square.

Questions and opinions of China aside, southeast asia is a powder keg right now waiting for a spark.

sources and articles of interest:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/june/4/newsid_2496000/2496277.stm
http://www.voanews.com/content/fresh-tensions-build-up-between-vietnam-china/1275420.html
http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...levate-asia-maritime-tensions-as-apec-to-meet
http://www.brecorder.com/top-news/1...e-china-leaders-may-discuss-row-at-apec-.html
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/stor...ilippine-sea-a-decades-long-source-of-tension

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Go make your pro-communist arguments to the Dali Lama, I am sure he would love to hear them.